• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Power Data Estimates for the climbing stages

Page 147 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Plus Contador and A. Schleck weren't going all out, or anything close

But then Lopez could have gone much faster too, with a proper train...
Yeah 2009 is a weird one. The headwind was really strong but then the time is still basically ~2013 Froome speed and I while I think 2009 Contador especially was probably better than 2013 Froome I don't think it shold be by minutes. Also by extension guys like Nibali etc were really fast on Ventoux in 2009.

As for Lopez, yeah he could've been faster with a good choo choo train. It's also one day rest after the Dauphine, so it's not like it being a one day race is a huge factor, and they also did Ventoux from the easy side before while they normally it's just a completely flat run in.

Sobrero did the murito on the Novi Gorica stage (2.69km at 13.7%) in 9:55, and had an average of 442W, if his weight is correct (he's listed at 63kg) that's 7 w/kg for almost 10min, that's really fast and 2 other guys finished just ahead of him in the sprint. Seems to bee correct, Carboni did the climb 1:01 slower that him, he did 395W at 61kg, so that should be exact. Not to mention the fact that they all did around 6.4W/KG for just over 9min on the penultimate climb that topped with 9km to go.
Source: https://www.strava.com/activities/5457812634/segments/2838818772453952392

Jun 18, 2021
Visit site
Sobrero did the murito on the Novi Gorica stage (2.69km at 13.7%) in 9:55, and had an average of 442W, if his weight is correct (he's listed at 63kg) that's 7 w/kg for almost 10min, that's really fast and 2 other guys finished just ahead of him in the sprint. Seems to bee correct, Carboni did the climb 1:01 slower that him, he did 395W at 61kg, so that should be exact. Not to mention the fact that they all did around 6.4W/KG for just over 9min on the penultimate climb that topped with 9km to go.
Source: https://www.strava.com/activities/5457812634/segments/2838818772453952392

7W/KG for a sub 10 minute effort is not even worth posting

Very similar numbers to Peyrol and Neronne in the Tour last year, which was ofcourse at higher altitude.

Funny thing was Dawgs climbing times in that Giro raid were really slow. Even his Finestre time was barely faster than a roflcracked Contador 3 years before.

A lot depends on the circumstances (weather, fatigue from previous stages, tempo of the current stage, duration of the attack). Yesterday Pogacar didn't match his Peyresourde performance in pure numbers but it was arguably more impressive given the circumstances (rainy weather, effort duration, huge gap to his rivals suggesting stage difficulty).

With a ~10' breather in between (on the top of Romme he would still have to keep going, so I'm unsure of the duration of the descent), it doesn't sound more crazy than Peyresourde and PdBF.
Indeed. He may have been more tired but the numbers seem to reflect that.

I don't think his peak performances are better than last year. Curious to see how he performs in hot weather (Ventoux, I hope)

TRENDING THREADS