• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Power Data Estimates for the climbing stages

Page 152 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ruben Guerreiro is now a 6w/kg guy on the Mont Ventoux beating guys like the Dawg, Dopador, Schleck, Pantani and Cancer Jesus.

With the due differences, because it was a stand alone event VS MTF in a Grand Tour, still a massive effort just at the right time when EF is scrapping for points.

View: https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1536772838950060033?s=20&t=antd_N8U4dgcJaKGvPtvyg
Buhhh...The Pegões Cowboy only dopes with wine from his hometown.

Reactions: Tim Cahill
I was waiting so badly for the comparison between Greg Lemond's and Zimmermann versus yesterday. ~5 minutes difference. I was expecting 3-4 minutes but not this much. However, Greg and Urs did not have any pacing at all in 1986. That made quite a bit of difference. Adiitionally, not counting technology changes, the race was destroyed just before the Granon which for practical purposes slowed down the pace on the climb itself. But interesting nevertheless.

L'Alpe was pretty revealing. Mixing it in with doper times even with all the track stand racing.

Yeah, L'Alpe is actually the one climb, where comparing climbing times is actually informative. And the picture it reveals is looking worse even than what we had with Sky and Froome at their peak. The climbing times alone are fast enough, but taking into consideration the racing that happened the day before, they are just thermonuclear.
Often that phrase is being used too readily and lightly , but it imo is now appopriate as there doesn't seem to be any mitigating circumstances this time.

If anything, the dynamic duo almost matching a peak EPO era record on Mende makes it look worse. Hard not to think that some high octane orange juice or something like that is back in vogue.

How much is the fact these stages are missing an extra climb and 40-100km of distance the 90s had, surely that helps with the times a little bit?
As stated above the Alpe is a better guide than most because it always raced hard. In 2011 the GC contenders climbed the Alpe in about 42 minutes on a 109km short stage. Low 39 minutes for this year also means Geraint Thomas climbed faster than he did in 2018.

It certainly doesn’t look “cleanish”, but not as bad as the 90's. When I see 38 minutes the alarm bell will be ringing. This year still well off that even with I assume lighter and/or faster bikes.

As stated above the Alpe is a better guide than most because it always raced hard. In 2011 the GC contenders climbed the Alpe in about 42 minutes on a 109km short stage. Low 39 minutes for this year also means Geraint Thomas climbed faster than he did in 2018.

It certainly doesn’t look “cleanish”, but not as bad as the 90's. When I see 38 minutes the alarm bell will be ringing. This year still well off that even with I assume lighter and/or faster bikes.

Regarding bike weight: this is what i found related to the 90ies and early 2000 (when the limit of 6.8kg was set)

Lemond 1990 - Lemond, 9.1 kg, time trial bike
Indurain 1993 - Pinarello, 10.3
Indurain 1995 - Pinarello Espada, 8.1 kg, time trial bike
Riis 1996 - Pinarello, 9 kg
Ulrich 1997 - Pinarello, 9 kg
Pantani 1998 - Bianchi, 8.1 kg
Armstrong 2002 - Trek, 8.2 kg
Armstrong 2003 - Trek, 7.2 kg

Reactions: Cookster15
Pog will have to go all in and Vinnie will have to follow. We're going to see an Epo level time on Hautacam this year. And I hope that will put an end to the terms cleanish and not as bad as the 90's.
What qualifies as an Epo level time? Because outside Nibali the whole top 40 on Hautacam is from the Epo era.
And they won't crack the top 10.

Regarding bike weight: this is what i found related to the 90ies and early 2000 (when the limit of 6.8kg was set)

Lemond 1990 - Lemond, 9.1 kg, time trial bike
Indurain 1993 - Pinarello, 10.3
Indurain 1995 - Pinarello Espada, 8.1 kg, time trial bike
Riis 1996 - Pinarello, 9 kg
Ulrich 1997 - Pinarello, 9 kg
Pantani 1998 - Bianchi, 8.1 kg
Armstrong 2002 - Trek, 8.2 kg
Armstrong 2003 - Trek, 7.2 kg
Regarding Alpes time it is also worth mentioning that the Pantani, Ullrich, Armstrong times were basically all solo efforts right from the bottom. While these days you'll see a Jumbo/Sky train for the first 8-10km which despite uphill still makes a reasonable difference (physically and mentally).

Reactions: Cookster15
Forgot the WT, Portugal is the true elite of the cycling world:
IMG-20220719-WA0000.jpg

TRENDING THREADS