• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Power Data Estimates for the climbing stages

Page 153 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Armstrong time is not a good comparison, it was an absolutely miserable day. He probably could've gone much faster under different conditions, he destroyed everyone on that day.

SD in 2008 and Nibali in 2014, on the other hand, are.

So about 20 seconds down on Armstrong and about 40 seconds up on Piepoli who subsequently tested positive on CERA. That would be extremely suspect midway through the Tour on a stage without anything happening before the MTF...
It's basically what I would've expected on Alpe d'Huez, to go 40 to 60s faster than the fastest recent times.

This may be a hot take but I think effect of fatigue and previous efforts may be a bit overrated in the freshest riders in a race.

<You don't say meme goes here>

And what is your best guess for why it may be so?
Physiologically? I think it's partially down to substrate usage and that's actually an area where science and nutrition has improved a lot over the years. Also building up less lactate on 6W/kg for 20 minutes should help a lot.

I just think it's fairly common to see near top climbing performances after a hard day by the best in a race, and it's generally those behind that go much slower. And some of the biggest gaps on near unipuerto stages have happened on stages where they drill a shorter, easier climb super hard before, like Ancares 2014.

Physiologically? I think it's partially down to substrate usage and that's actually an area where science and nutrition has improved a lot over the years. Also building up less lactate on 6W/kg for 20 minutes should help a lot.

I just think it's fairly common to see near top climbing performances after a hard day by the best in a race, and it's generally those behind that go much slower. And some of the biggest gaps on near unipuerto stages have happened on stages where they drill a shorter, easier climb super hard before, like Ancares 2014.

Ok, but is science and nutrition advance limited to 2/3 teams? The margin of Vingegaard's superiority over the rest was significant today.

Very significant.

If you look at some of those attacks from Froome, there is nothing natural about it... Honestly, for me Froome is the prove that Cycling body doesn't really want to catch dopers. and if they catch them, its more by accident because they tried to make it appear as if they do something.

And Thomas riding on the team that dominated that race lost 3 minutes on the last climb today.

That's a lot of gains. And not against some hillbilly anti-science French team.

what's your point then? Thomas is also 7 years older now than he was then. Froome had the same gap to the field back then as Vingegaard did today. it happens when the strongest rider in the race goes full gas. Pogacar put 4 minutes into everyone on one stage last year too.

If you look at some of those attacks from Froome, there is nothing natural about it... Honestly, for me Froome is the prove that Cycling body doesn't really want to catch dopers. and if they catch them, its more by accident because they tried to make it appear as if they do something.
You know, the fact that the official Covid tests by ASO on the rest days have been total bs (no positive tests and yet one or 2 days after a few riders always test positive on the internal test) made me think. Are they really gonna be more serious with other forms of "testing" that can have much more negative consequences for the sport (and ASO), or will they also just look away?

TRENDING THREADS