• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pre Giro d' Italia-thread!

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

DNP-Old said:
Only difference between the amount of km's of Dumoulin of last and this year is two relatively short Tirreno stages and a 10k ITT.
Yeah, but somehow people think he did like 50% of the races. Probably because the results were not prominent. Last year he was 3rd in Dubai, 5th in Strade, 6th in Tirreno.. Now no results because of bad luck, illness and a crash.

He did pretty similar in MSR and LBL compared to last year so I don't get the panic (even did slightly better in LBL)

Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
DNP-Old said:
Only difference between the amount of km's of Dumoulin of last and this year is two relatively short Tirreno stages and a 10k ITT.
Yeah, but somehow people think he did like 50% of the races. Probably because the results were not prominent. Last year he was 3rd in Dubai, 5th in Strade, 6th in Tirreno.. Now no results because of bad luck, illness and a crash.

He did pretty similar in MSR and LBL compared to last year so I don't get the panic (even did slightly better in LBL)
Indeed. I think Tom's biggest rival will be Tom himself. I really didn't like his attitude this season (maybe a sign of the pressure getting to him?). He's said he's fixed it, but that's something you prove with actions rather than words, and we're going to see that in a two weeks.

DNP-Old said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
DNP-Old said:

Indeed. I think Tom's biggest rival will be Tom himself. I really didn't like his attitude this season (maybe a sign of the pressure getting to him?). He's said he's fixed it, but that's something you prove with actions rather than words, and we're going to see that in a two weeks.
I think his biggest rival will be Lopez and Astana who will be coming guns blazing. Suns out, guns out. :eek: Seriously tho, I think Froome and Sky will be more of an ally, at least early on - they want the same, a rather controlled watt/kg determined tempo. Chaves is the joker - I think we more or less know what to expect of Aru and Pinot. Very good, but probably lacking that top level you would need to have under normal circumstances.

Valv.Piti said:
DNP-Old said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
DNP-Old said:

I think his biggest rival will be Lopez and Astana who will be coming guns blazing. Suns out, guns out. :eek: Seriously tho, I think Froome and Sky will be more of an ally, at least early on - they want the same, a rather controlled watt/kg determined tempo. Chaves is the joker - I think we more or less know what to expect of Aru and Pinot. Very good, but probably lacking that top level you would need to have under normal circumstances.
I'm trying to not get too carried away with Superman. My starting point for him is a 2 to 3 minute disadvantage to Tom with the ITT's. From thereon, I'm looking at it stage by stage. Some fit him wonderfully (Cervinia, Bardonecchia, Zoncolan), some fit Tom wonderfully (Montevergine, Prato Nevoso). Only thing we're sure of right now is that Superman has a tremendous advantage over maybe everyone when it comes to team.

I don't think its getting too much carried away saying he will be the biggest thread to Froome/Dumoulin considering what we have seen from him in last year's Vuelta and this year climbing wise and considering his amazing team. He has some obvious weaknesses as time trialing, not being explosive on the hilly days and his tendency to fall. But if he is in good shape come Zoncolan....

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I don't think its getting too much carried away saying he will be the biggest thread to Froome/Dumoulin considering what we have seen from him in last year's Vuelta and this year climbing wise and considering his amazing team. He has some obvious weaknesses as time trialing, not being explosive on the hilly days and his tendency to fall. But if he is in good shape come Zoncolan....

Stage 4,5 and 11 have very tricky final and end with a short, explosive ramp. He could lose a minute right there if he is badly positioned.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
For those watching on British Eurosport, I know Matt Stephens has stopped on GCN and is doing a lot more commentating, including the Giro. A pair of him and Hatch could be great I think, the few times I have listened to Stephens commentating it has been very pleasant and he has a very nice personality.

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
From ca 180 riders in Giro, below we have "BIG-6" with the KMs this season:
87. MA Lopez - 3555 km
108. Aru - 3252 km
122. Chaves - 3042 km
161. Froome - 2408
166. Pinot - 2212 km
172. Dumuolin - 1956 km
Only MAL above mediana (3520 km). And amounts of KMs correspond with their TDF plans.
Nothing too out of the ordinary - Dumoulin probably doesn't have as many kilometres as he would have liked, but I doubt it matters. Froome with a very Froome-esque approach.

Is that why Matt is/was leaving GCN?

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Velonews:
Despite his strong ride for Froome at the recent Tour of the Alps, Kenny Elissonde does not appear on Sky’s lineup. An insider told VeloNews, however, that the team will officially announce its roster on Friday and that one of the names on its provisional start list is likely to change. It’s unclear who that would be.
I hope Kenny will replace e.g. Knees.
Kenny's in.

Froome, Poels, De La Cruz, Sergio Henao, Elissonde, Kiryienka, Knees, Puccio

If Froome completes the three GTs in a row (even if temporarily), Knees will have been there for all of them.

Valv.Piti said:
pastronef said:
Red Rick said:
Fully expecting Elissonde to be a case of too good in prep race. And he's pretty weak on the flat.

he´ll be drafting behind Puccio Knees and Kiry on the flat, no worry
Unless he has got significantly better, he was in peak shape in Trentino Im afraid. And he has absolutely no use outside of the moutains
He's the antithesis of Sky's preferred domestiques. The only pure climbers they usually bring are the likes of Poels and Landa.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Bahrain-Merida:
showimg.php

A good team around Pozzovivo and Bonifazio for the sprints.

UAE:
201 ARU Fabio
202 ATAPUMA John Darwin
203 CONTI Valerio
204 LAENGEN Vegard Stake
205 MARCATO Marco
206 MORI Manuele
207 POLANC Jan
208 ULISSI Diego

Good squad, I would have prefered to have Durasek instead of Ulissi, but you can't have everything.
Laengen riding the Giro sucks a bit for Dan Martin, he would have been great in the TTT and he can work on all kinds of terrain, a bit like Kiry.
I guess most of the young Italians will get their chance at the Vuelta, that's probably the better option.

The official Movistar line up as listed on their site:
Carlos Betancur
Richard Carapaz
Victor De La Parte
Ruben Fernandez
Antonio Pedrero
Dayer Quintana
Eduardo Sepulveda
Rafa Valls

I literally have no clue what they are thinking. I will be surprised if they are anything other than non existent in this race.