• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pre Giro d' Italia-thread!

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Bahrain-Merida:
showimg.php

A good team around Pozzovivo and Bonifazio for the sprints.

UAE:
201 ARU Fabio
202 ATAPUMA John Darwin
203 CONTI Valerio
204 LAENGEN Vegard Stake
205 MARCATO Marco
206 MORI Manuele
207 POLANC Jan
208 ULISSI Diego

Good squad, I would have prefered to have Durasek instead of Ulissi, but you can't have everything.
Laengen riding the Giro sucks a bit for Dan Martin, he would have been great in the TTT and he can work on all kinds of terrain, a bit like Kiry.
I guess most of the young Italians will get their chance at the Vuelta, that's probably the better option.
I think Laengen could ride the Tour as well. He's had a very light season so far

There's that problem as well. I expect them to be non existent in the Giro. Actually I think EF Education/Slipstream has a stronger team. I don't expect them to win or get a top 5 in the GC, but they should at least be fun to watch and have two riders who can get a top 10 out of it.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Eyeballs Out said:
Mayomaniac said:
Bahrain-Merida:
showimg.php

UAE:
201 ARU Fabio
202 ATAPUMA John Darwin
203 CONTI Valerio
204 LAENGEN Vegard Stake
205 MARCATO Marco
206 MORI Manuele
207 POLANC Jan
208 ULISSI Diego

Good squad, I would have prefered to have Durasek instead of Ulissi, but you can't have everything.
Laengen riding the Giro sucks a bit for Dan Martin, he would have been great in the TTT and he can work on all kinds of terrain, a bit like Kiry.
I guess most of the young Italians will get their chance at the Vuelta, that's probably the better option.
I think Laengen could ride the Tour as well. He's had a very light season so far
Laengen would probably be their best asset in the TTT (there's also ganna, but no way he should ride the Tour at this point of his career, it's just way to early for him) and guys like him a Swift can help out on the medium mountain stages, but in the high mountains Dan Martin will only have Rui Costa and Durasek with him and well all know that Rui Costa isn't at his best when riding as a domestique.
Back to Aru's team, it's a solid team, Ravasi not riding the Giro after a solid Giro del Trentino is a bit of a surprise.

Trek team:

Gianluca Brambilla (c)
Laurent Didier
Niklas Eg
Markel Irizar
Ryan Mullen
Jarlinson Pantano
Mads Pedersen
Boy van Poppel

- Eg making his GT debut, as a neo-pro........ looking forward to him destroying 99 % of the Giro peloton up mount Etna on stage 6 (while Brambilla still thinks he's got it), by doing another monster lead, like the one in Croatia earlier this month.

(a guy can dream ;) )

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Trek team:

Gianluca Brambilla (c)
Laurent Didier
Niklas Eg
Markel Irizar
Ryan Mullen
Jarlinson Pantano
Mads Pedersen
Boy van Poppel

- Eg making his GT debut, as a neo-pro........ looking forward to him destroying 99 % of the Giro peloton up mount Etna on stage 6 (while Brambilla still thinks he's got it), by doing another monster lead, like the one in Croatia earlier this month.

(a guy can dream ;) )
No Nizzolo? That's pretty strange

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Koronin said:
Well the Spanish fans are very unhappy with Movistar's roster for the Giro.
Well, you can't blame those fans, I understand them.
A fit Fernandez who wasn't just coming back from an injury and Amador or Soler on the team and it would be much better.

Mayomaniac said:
Koronin said:
Well the Spanish fans are very unhappy with Movistar's roster for the Giro.
Well, you can't blame those fans, I understand them.
A fit Fernandez who wasn't just coming back from an injury and Amador or Soler on the team and it would be much better.

As unhappy as I (and it seems a few others here are) it's nothing compared to those fans.
I agree totally agree with you. Amador and/or Soler with a Fernandez who isn't coming off an injury would be a much nicer team for the Giro. Those same fans I know would actually be very happy with that team.

how did Ruben get in there at all? Roson was on the provisional start list instead of him (only change to that, as far as I can see), and he looks alright at the moment, while I wouldn't be surprised if Fernandez ends up abandoning early on.

Generelly I don't think it's a bad team though. Carapaz may even win a stage in the high mountains

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Bahrain-Merida:
showimg.php

Why is Colbrelli not riding? I assumed the team with one stand out gc rider and one stand out sprinter, who by the way are even both Italian, would split so one goes to the giro and one to the tour. As Niblai goes to the tour I completely expected Colbrelli at the giro. Bringing him to the tour too, just as Nibali's domestique would be a complete waste.

I quite like Movistar's team - it will be fun to watch. I think they are correct to protect Soler for now, save Amador for the Tour team and try to find out what they have with a lot of those lesser lights on their roster. The only one rider I wish was going is Anacona after the dom job he's done in recent years. I guess he won't go to the Tour either barring injuries

Re:

search said:
how did Ruben get in there at all? Roson was on the provisional start list instead of him (only change to that, as far as I can see), and he looks alright at the moment, while I wouldn't be surprised if Fernandez ends up abandoning early on.

Generelly I don't think it's a bad team though. Carapaz may even win a stage in the high mountains

You're guess is as good as anyone. Ruben's hardly raced this year due to a stress fracture. Yes Roson has looked good.

Tonton said:
[quote="Koronin":1s5aw7j8]Well the Spanish fans are very unhappy with Movistar's roster for the Giro.
And that's OK. For Movistar, it's about the TdF, and the same fans will enjoy a great month of July.[/quote]

Except they are fully expecting an implosion by the team in July. Most expect both Quintana and Landa totally out of the GC picture after the TTT and cobbled stage, plus neither are very good time trialists. Leaving Valverde who is saying that he won't be anywhere near peak for the Tour because it's not one of his goals and he's using it as a build up for la Vuelta/Worlds. From what many are saying they are searching all the Giro rosters looking for a rider to cheer for.

Koronin said:
search said:

You're guess is as good as anyone. Ruben's hardly raced this year due to a stress fracture. Yes Roson has looked good.

Tonton said:
[quote="Koronin":ftu9rbs3]Well the Spanish fans are very unhappy with Movistar's roster for the Giro.
And that's OK. For Movistar, it's about the TdF, and the same fans will enjoy a great month of July.

Except they are fully expecting an implosion by the team in July. Most expect both Quintana and Landa totally out of the GC picture after the TTT and cobbled stage, plus neither are very good time trialists. Leaving Valverde who is saying that he won't be anywhere near peak for the Tour because it's not one of his goals and he's using it as a build up for la Vuelta/Worlds. From what many are saying they are searching all the Giro rosters looking for a rider to cheer for.[/quote]

You can't have it both ways dude

The riders you are missing in the giro, are exactly what will bolster the Movistar ranks in the tour, IF Landa and/or Quintana fails on the cobbles.... and they are also the riders that will ensure a good TTT.

They way I see it, the Movistar team at the tour, will have 5 riders minimum, that can potentially ride top 10.

I honestly think that the Movistar principals have finally had enough, of Sky constantly beating them at the tour, and are throwing the kitchen sink at it this year (and btw, Froome is not exactly a cobbles artist either ;)).

That Sky then appears to have the worst season opening in - forever - apart from a few bright spots here and there (like Bernal), is probably why we forget, how dominant they usually are at the tour, and how they pretty much embarrassed Movistar last year, and that AG2R was pretty much the only team able to rattle Sky a little.

Ah but Nibali IS extremely good on the cobbles and I expect him to put a good chunk of time into most of the other GC riders. Nibali will also have the Izagirre brothers.

Many of the fans are expecting a complete implosion at the Tour by Movistar due to well Landa and Quintana getting into a war and as I said don't expect either one to be in contention by the time the cobbled stage is over. They are expecting at least a 2 minute deficit from the TTT and more time shed on the cobbles. The only one capable of clawing back time over the cobbles is Valverde who is saying he won't be anywhere near peak as he's using the Tour to get in shape for la Vuelta. Many of the fans are also expecting a lot of infighting during the Tour.

Yes you can easily have a team that is non existent at the Giro and then a complete implosion at the Tour. That is very possibly and highly likely with this team. Heck we saw a complete collapse by this team last year when Valverde got hurt. They are very much on the edge of a collapse or implosion as it is.

Re:

Koronin said:
Ah but Nibali IS extremely good on the cobbles and I expect him to put a good chunk of time into most of the other GC riders. Nibali will also have the Izagirre brothers.

Many of the fans are expecting a complete implosion at the Tour by Movistar due to well Landa and Quintana getting into a war and as I said don't expect either one to be in contention by the time the cobbled stage is over. They are expecting at least a 2 minute deficit from the TTT and more time shed on the cobbles. The only one capable of clawing back time over the cobbles is Valverde who is saying he won't be anywhere near peak as he's using the Tour to get in shape for la Vuelta. Many of the fans are also expecting a lot of infighting during the Tour.

Yes you can easily have a team that is non existent at the Giro and then a complete implosion at the Tour. That is very possibly and highly likely with this team. Heck we saw a complete collapse by this team last year when Valverde got hurt. They are very much on the edge of a collapse or implosion as it is.

There’s no proof that the team will implode in the Tour. Quintana knows how to ride the Tour. He doesn’t need Valverde or anyone else to hold his hand. Landa and Quintana might not get along but they can still both be up there in the GC. Teams have done that many a time. Nibali and Froome could both puncture 15 times on the cobbles and Quintana and Landa could both finish 5 minutes ahead of them. There’s just no way of knowing. They’re pros. They’ll do just fine. They’ll either win the Tour or have someone on the podium. That’s a near certainty.

Jspear said:
Koronin said:

There’s no proof that the team will implode in the Tour. Quintana knows how to ride the Tour. He doesn’t need Valverde or anyone else to hold his hand. Landa and Quintana might not get along but they can still both be up there in the GC. Teams have done that many a time. Nibali and Froome could both puncture 15 times on the cobbles and Quintana and Landa could both finish 5 minutes ahead of them. There’s just no way of knowing. They’re pros. They’ll do just fine. They’ll either win the Tour or have someone on the podium. That’s a near certainty.

It's a fact that the team completely and totally collapsed last year when Valverde got hurt. They disappeared in the Tour and the Vuelta and really every other race they were a part of except the two sprint one day races that Carlos Barbero was the race leader for. If anything Quintana proved in last year's Tour that he is not capable of leading this team. Being pros has NEVER stopped teams from having major issues with having two (let a lone 3) top GC riders on one team before. It is highly likely they won't put anyone on the podium this year just like they haven't done in a GT for 2 and after the Giro 3 consecutive GTs. It's as likely they will have someone on the podium as it is that they will implode.

Koronin said:
Jspear said:
Koronin said:

It's a fact that the team completely and totally collapsed last year when Valverde got hurt. They disappeared in the Tour and the Vuelta and really every other race they were a part of except the two sprint one day races that Carlos Barbero was the race leader for. If anything Quintana proved in last year's Tour that he is not capable of leading this team. Being pros has NEVER stopped teams from having major issues with having two (let a lone 3) top GC riders on one team before. It is highly likely they won't put anyone on the podium this year just like they haven't done in a GT for 2 and after the Giro 3 consecutive GTs. It's as likely they will have someone on the podium as it is that they will implode.

Quintana rode the Giro before he rode the Tour. That explains his poor showing. It has nothing to do with Valverde crashing. That's also why they weren't showing anything in the Vuelta. Because Quintana (or Valverde) wasn't there to give them a strong result. Would he have won the Tour without the Giro in his legs? Probably not, but he would have been better then 12th. It had nothing to do with Valverde. Quintana knows how to podium without the help of Valverde.

Parker said:
Broccolidwarf said:
That Sky then appears to have the worst season opening in - forever - apart from a few bright spots here and there (like Bernal), is probably why we forget,
Sky have had 16 wins so far this season, a long way behind QS, but ahead of everyone else

10th on the world ranking dude, and best two riders ranked 18th and 48th, that's not normal for Sky.

Either way, that was not the point of my post - it was a comment on Movistar GT strategy :)

Koronin said:
Jspear said:
Koronin said:

Just for the sake of argument, what team do you see Movistar put into the tour, that will "implode"?

Who are the 5 riders, apart from Quintana, Landa and Valverde?

Jspear said:
Koronin said:
Jspear said:
Koronin said:

Quintana rode the Giro before he rode the Tour. That explains his poor showing. It has nothing to do with Valverde crashing. That's also why they weren't showing anything in the Vuelta. Because Quintana (or Valverde) wasn't there to give them a strong result. Would he have won the Tour without the Giro in his legs? Probably not, but he would have been better then 12th. It had nothing to do with Valverde. Quintana knows how to podium without the help of Valverde.

Sorry, but for Quintana that is only another excuse. Contador at 32 raced the Giro (won) then finished top 5 in the Tour. Valverde at 36 raced the Giro (3rd) then finished 6th at the Tour (then threw in a 12th at the Vuelta for good measure). Quintana at a much YOUNGER age could not come close to what the two Spanish stars were able to do. He proved he could not lead the team. Yes the team totally collapsed. They literally had only 2 results the entire rest of the seasons (both Carlos Barbero). His claim that the Giro is the reason is just another excuse or he's flat out admitting that both Contador and Valverde are better than he is. Also I remember 6 of the Movistar riders flat out stated they could not get their heads back into the Tour after Valverde's injury for several days and that led to several crashes. There is a LOT more to leadership than just results. Quintana could NOT get his teammates focus back into the race.

Broccolidwarf said:
Koronin said:
Jspear said:
Koronin said:

Just for the sake of argument, what team do you see Movistar put into the tour, that will "implode"?

Who are the 5 riders, apart from Quintana, Landa and Valverde?

My guess is:
Anacona, Amador, Sutterlin, Oliveira, Betancur/Bennati

Last year's team that collapsed included Amador and Sutterlin along with Herrada brothers (which was a stronger team than they'll have for this year's Tour).

Koronin said:
Jspear said:
Koronin said:
Jspear said:
Koronin said:

Sorry, but for Quintana that is only another excuse. Contador at 32 raced the Giro (won) then finished top 5 in the Tour. Valverde at 36 raced the Giro (3rd) then finished 6th at the Tour (then threw in a 12th at the Vuelta for good measure). Quintana at a much YOUNGER age could not come close to what the two Spanish stars were able to do. He proved he could not lead the team. Yes the team totally collapsed. They literally had only 2 results the entire rest of the seasons (both Carlos Barbero). His claim that the Giro is the reason is just another excuse or he's flat out admitting that both Contador and Valverde are better than he is. Also I remember 6 of the Movistar riders flat out stated they could not get their heads back into the Tour after Valverde's injury for several days and that led to several crashes. There is a LOT more to leadership than just results. Quintana could NOT get his teammates focus back into the race.

Please do tell - If Valverde hadn't crashed out of the Tour, what place would Quintana have gotten in the GC then?....

TRENDING THREADS