• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Primož Roglič

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The red flag for me is not how good he is, but how good he’s been for such a sustained period this year. It’s like the laws of fatigue and recovery just don’t apply to him. I think his capitulation at the Tour was mental rather than physical...he just seemed to lose the plot when the time splits against Pogacar heaped the pressure on him.
But he was straight back on it...Worlds, LBL and now this level at the Vuelta. Insane

Does not help constructive discussion and The Clinic being worth reading.
Right. After reading the previous messages I have come to realize that I'm in an academic forum populated by experts on doping in sports. Silly me.
You have every right to not like what I'm saying. That's fine. But the slap- on- the- wrist -don't misbehave -in -church bit is a bit much. Until there are specific rules stating that one cannot make a silly joke in these hallowed halls, I'm afraid you're gonna have to suck it up, buttercup.
Also, while playing the role of hallway monitor, you missed the fact that I posed questions that I consider to potentially lead to "constructive discussion." Go back and have a look-see.

Last edited:
Right. After reading the previous messages I have come to realize that I'm in an academic forum populated by experts on doping in sports. Silly me.
You have every right to not like what I'm saying. That's fine. But the slap- on- the- wrist -don't misbehave -in -church bit is a bit much. Until there are specific rules stating that one cannot make a silly joke in these hallowed halls, I'm afraid you're gonna have to suck it up, buttercup.
Also, while playing the role of hallway monitor, you missed the fact that I posed questions that I consider to potentially be "constructive discussion." Go back and have a look-see.
I'm not telling you what you may or may not post, I'm answering your question about what this kind of talk does not help with.

The red flag for me is not how good he is, but how good he’s been for such a sustained period this year. It’s like the laws of fatigue and recovery just don’t apply to him. I think his capitulation at the Tour was mental rather than physical...he just seemed to lose the plot when the time splits against Pogacar heaped the pressure on him.
But he was straight back on it...Worlds, LBL and now this level at the Vuelta. Insane

It's...amazing, I agree. He gapped the field yesterday in the last 100 meters of an uphill finish.

But a few points in Roglic's favor (not that he's clean, but not less clean...): He was arguably the best GC stage racer last year so you'd expect him to do well this year; he was able to train outside through quarantine in Slovenia, maybe the perfect training site; all the TdF riders did well at the WC an LBL; he's had the strongest team in both the Tour and the Vuelta; and the competition in the Vuelta is pretty weak once you get past Carapaz; and finally this year has been compressed into 3 months, more or less.

another question is whether he is better this year than last. I'm no so sure about that. he was on an absolute tear before the Giro, nearly won that, then took a break and stomped the Vuelta.

Last edited:
Antoine Vayer & the pseudo "journalists" (Ouest-France, notably) have jumped the shark on this one & look like total paranoid idiots.

I'm also being diplomatic merely calling them "paranoid", i.e. a lot of this stuff (including from a France 2 journalist on Twitter relaying false information) comes across as defamation & a deliberate attempt to create a narrative based on lies.

Many have posted videos since Sunday showing how the exact same rotation happens on their bike, but they're all conveniently ignored.

They deliberatelly cut the videos in a way that skips the part where Roglič turns the pedals. Instead they begin with pedals spinnign "by themselves". It is a complete clickbait. But a clickbait like this can tarnish someone's reputation. That a known cycling website published something like this is pretty bad. Vayer is a big troll anyway and it is expected from him. I sometimes even enjoy his "over the top" accusations and paranoia.

Reactions: spalco
They deliberatelly cut the videos in a way that skips the part where Roglič turns the pedals. Instead they begin with pedals spinnign "by themselves". It is a complete clickbait. But a clickbait like this can tarnish someone's reputation. That a known cycling website published something like this is pretty bad. Vayer is a big troll anyway and it is expected from him. I sometimes even enjoy his "over the top" accusations and paranoia.
This. It was explained later by other people, but the damaged was done. Even if you are suspicious you have to be objective, so why cut the video.

Reactions: MTV
Antoine Vayer & the pseudo "journalists" (Ouest-France, notably) have jumped the shark on this one & look like total paranoid idiots.

I'm also being diplomatic merely calling them "paranoid", i.e. a lot of this stuff (including from a France 2 journalist on Twitter relaying false information) comes across as defamation & a deliberate attempt to create a narrative based on lies.

Many have posted videos since Sunday showing how the exact same rotation happens on their bike, but they're all conveniently ignored.
Yeah and I've even seen some shorter cuts of the footage tuttobiciweb to make it look more suspect, pretty disgusting behavior to get a few extra clicks. They have good interviews with Italian u23/junior riders and riders on Italian PCT teams, but other than that they suck.
This. It was explained later by other people, but the damaged was done. Even if you are suspicious you have to be objective, so why cut the video.

Same parties as with the Evenepoel video, same modus operandi.

Reactions: MTV and Rackham
Any merit to the claim that him touching the handlebar like that is shady?
you mean the DI2 port that is at the end of handlebar, you have a button there to change from regular to syncro shitting, also does a couple of other things like reseting the system,....

s-l400.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Panda Claws
you mean the DI2 port that is at the end of handlebar, you have a button there to change from regular to syncro shitting, also does a couple of other things like reseting the system,....

s-l400.jpg

This made me laugh more than it probably should, but it just created some rather interesting images in my mind :laughing:

I think these allegations are pretty ridiculous. If mechanical doping was widespread, I can't help thinking that Lappartient and the UCI would actually catch riders doing it. Unlike medical doping, which has been a part of cycling and other sports more or less from the beginning, this could be something they won't accept in any way, because it goes against the idea of the riders doing the work themselves. Lappartient also seems to want to make it his footprint on cycling, that he has stopped it.

On the other hand it is the UCI, so you never really know whether they actually want to stop it or if the testing is mostly for show. But I can imagine they have send mails to the teams, demanding them to stop or limit their use of it, if it actually was widespread, because they wouldn't want any scandals.

Reactions: Notarobot and topt
His chain is off, hence the spinning cranks.
His chain isn't off as the wheel is being spun when he turns the pedals, but his chain is sagging badly. My guess is di2 crash mode as he's in the smallest sprocket we've seen a few times this season now, but either somethings jammed between sprocket and spokes or a bearing failed in the freehub causing inertia back to the cranks from the spinning wheel.

TRENDING THREADS