• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Prince Dead.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
prince.jpg

chrisr_1446829728_Prince2015.jpg

276669-princ-napravil-tajna-zhurka-za-obama.jpg

Never really listened to his music, but he was a cool character. I like cool characters.

WOW - he was just out here in NZ not long ago for the first time ever.....a good friend went up to Auckland to the gig and said it was the best live gig he'd ever seen!! Played the whole show on the Piano.....no backing band at all.

Amazing talent gone way too soon.

RIP Prince.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
only thing the NFL has done right in decades, allow Prince to tear up the stage in a way...way to short half time show at the superbowl.
This guy had loads to say about people downloading his music wo paying.
The guy made lots of comments about American culture that made it clear that he knows what is at stake on both sides of the race issue in the US.
was a real talent and will be missed
*if anybody can post the interview were he says he was influenced by Clapton, Al Di Meola and Steve Morse please do, when I listened to him talk about his musical references I was an instant listen to his music*

In 2004, Prince was inducted into the Rock and Roll of Fame, which hailed him as a musical and social trailblazer.

"He rewrote the rulebook, forging a synthesis of black funk and white rock that served as a blueprint for cutting-edge music in the Eighties," reads the Hall's dedication. "Prince made dance music that rocked and rock music that had a bristling, funky backbone. From the beginning, Prince and his music were androgynous, sly, sexy and provocative."

Earlier this week, the performer was treated for dehydration after his plane made an emergency landing.

A representative for Prince told TMZ that the singer was feeling under the weather during his shows last week and began feeling worse on the plane. After the emergency landing, he was treated at a hospital and released three hours later.

^^ from my morning online newspaper read.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I am just felling angry right now its just not f%%king fair.

A truly inspirational artist.

Wrote some of the most incredible songs and music. He was Fu%%ing awesome.

He was a incredible musician and performer.

just angry and sad right now . Shi%

Unbelievably he was actually underrated by some as a pure musician. I know he played every instrument on some of his albums, including his first. I've seen quite a few fellow musicians comment on how good he was as a guitarist. I loved his solo on that "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" performance he did with Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, and others at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame induction.

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

Re:

fatandfast said:
only thing the NFL has done right in decades, allow Prince to tear up the stage in a way...way to short half time show at the superbowl.
This guy had loads to say about people downloading his music wo paying.
The guy made lots of comments about American culture that made it clear that he knows what is at stake on both sides of the race issue in the US.
was a real talent and will be missed
*if anybody can post the interview were he says he was influenced by Clapton, Al Di Meola and Steve Morse please do, when I listened to him talk about his musical references I was an instant listen to his music*

I've seen him talk about Stevie Wonder being his ultimate inspiration which says it all for me.

Re:

jaylew said:
Unbelievably he was actually underrated by some as a pure musician. I know he played every instrument on some of his albums, including his first. I've seen quite a few fellow musicians comment on how good he was as a guitarist. I loved his solo on that "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" performance he did with Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, and others at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame induction.

Found it:

A large part of his greatness was that unlike a lot of guitarists, he didn't do the fancy stuff until it was needed. While a lot of his stuff is about making things sound enormous, it's for taking stuff out of records that made some of his biggest hits; taking the bass part out of "When Doves Cry" and taking... well, almost everything out of "Kiss". But when excess was called for, the man could deliver. The title track from "Purple Rain" is the perfect powerballad. There is no point in listening to any powerballad after that point. They are all pointless, frivolous and unnecessary. Prince had defined the genre completely. Not one note on "Purple Rain" is a mis-step. The song erupts from simplicity into a huge cathartic climax; the solo is one of the greatest ever. The guy thought through everything, every note in there was planned perfectly.

I definitely think he's quite underrated among the pantheon of the greats. While it was done in some jest, when JV was still posting here and people were asking all kinds of doping and tactical questions, I simply wanted to know which camp he was in, "Purple Rain" or "Sign 'O' The Times"? I also think "Around the World in a Day" is a hugely underrated album mainly cos it came off the back of such a timeless classic, but "The Ladder" and "Condition of the Heart" are really strong songs and "Raspberry Beret" is of course a great pop record.

Things were perhaps stated best (in musical form no less) by, of all people, Bill Callahan, aka "Smog", who released the song Prince Alone in the Studio right at the crossroads between his own period as a lo-fi low budget bedroom troubadour and his later dark Americana/slowcore persona... while the song is dark musically and his delivery makes it seem sinister, it's actually full of reverence for Prince, about the man's dedication to his craft, the pursuit of musical perfection, and acknowledging that every obsessive bedroom home-recording troubadour, if they can admit it, really wants to be able to do what Prince does, or rather, did.

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Re:

aphronesis said:
The song "Purple Rain" was arguably overproduced schlock of the times. "When Doves Cry" might more likely be be trenchant beyond its moment. Or able to crystallize it.

A couple of girls I hung out with in junior high loved Prince and Purple Rain. I didn't argue - which is unlike me.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
jaylew said:

Found it:

A large part of his greatness was that unlike a lot of guitarists, he didn't do the fancy stuff until it was needed. While a lot of his stuff is about making things sound enormous, it's for taking stuff out of records that made some of his biggest hits; taking the bass part out of "When Doves Cry" and taking... well, almost everything out of "Kiss". But when excess was called for, the man could deliver. The title track from "Purple Rain" is the perfect powerballad. There is no point in listening to any powerballad after that point. They are all pointless, frivolous and unnecessary. Prince had defined the genre completely. Not one note on "Purple Rain" is a mis-step. The song erupts from simplicity into a huge cathartic climax; the solo is one of the greatest ever. The guy thought through everything, every note in there was planned perfectly.

I definitely think he's quite underrated among the pantheon of the greats. While it was done in some jest, when JV was still posting here and people were asking all kinds of doping and tactical questions, I simply wanted to know which camp he was in, "Purple Rain" or "Sign 'O' The Times"? I also think "Around the World in a Day" is a hugely underrated album mainly cos it came off the back of such a timeless classic, but "The Ladder" and "Condition of the Heart" are really strong songs and "Raspberry Beret" is of course a great pop record.

Things were perhaps stated best (in musical form no less) by, of all people, Bill Callahan, aka "Smog", who released the song Prince Alone in the Studio right at the crossroads between his own period as a lo-fi low budget bedroom troubadour and his later dark Americana/slowcore persona... while the song is dark musically and his delivery makes it seem sinister, it's actually full of reverence for Prince, about the man's dedication to his craft, the pursuit of musical perfection, and acknowledging that every obsessive bedroom home-recording troubadour, if they can admit it, really wants to be able to do what Prince does, or rather, did.

The bold may be true for Europe or other regions, but is absolutely not the case in the US, where he is widely seen as a demi-God. Obama already came out with a statement; CNN Int. has been on CNN US ever since the story broke. All other news has disappeared. Even Wolf 'appalling toad' Blitzer was pushing callers to tell everyone just how they felt when they heard the news. Ugh.

Tidbits that I have picked up from the non-stop coverage -

- he took his Jehovah's Witness upbringing seriously, except perhaps where women were concerned.

- he was a macrobiotic vegan, and health obsessed.

- alone with friends he was apparently hysterically funny, and regularly had people in stitches. His good friend Van Jones said he could have been a stand up comic if he wanted.

- he was a humanitarian and a philanthropist who did many good deeds and works in secret.

- he was a sort of Renaissance man genius, brilliant at anything he tried, highly intelligent, well read, and well informed about world events.

- he was a multi-instrumentalist as well as an excellent guitarist, singer, and songwriter.

- he was a prolific writer, leaving (probably) thousands of unpublished works, now all the possession of his estate.

- the Paisley Park estate has a complete recording studio, and a full size stage for him to practice on.

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

aphronesis said:
Starstruck said:
aphronesis said:
The song "Purple Rain" was arguably overproduced schlock of the times. "When Doves Cry" might more likely be be trenchant beyond its moment. Or able to crystallize it.

A couple of girls I hung out with in junior high loved Prince and Purple Rain. I didn't argue - which is unlike me.

Sure. How many Black Flag basement shows were there?

They were around but you had to go to the city. I grew up in the sticks with real industrial rednecks. My big act of rebellion was shaving my legs and riding a bicycle (dearest comrade). Music was wasn't really on the radar as I just wanted to ride. Freedom has many forms.