• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Privleges of the Yellow Jersey

In light of Spartacus' actions in stage 2, it has me wondering:
What are the privleges/unwritten rules/allowances for the yellow jersey wearer?

I know that there's an unwritten rule that if the yellow jersey crashes that you do not force the pace or attack, but that's it...

What other things can he do or be allowed (allowances made) etc?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
he can obviously cancel stages :rolleyes:

Hinault commanded a go slow when he was in the peleton, not sure if he was in yellow, but if Hinault wanted something you gave it to him:D

if you want to ride up to a breakaway and tell a certain rider he's not allowed be there, that's allowed:mad:

you make everyone in the peleton wear your poxy yellow armbands:rolleyes:

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
In light of Spartacus' actions in stage 2, it has me wondering:
What are the privleges/unwritten rules/allowances for the yellow jersey wearer?

I know that there's an unwritten rule that if the yellow jersey crashes that you do not force the pace or attack, but that's it...

What other things can he do or be allowed (allowances made) etc?

I don't think you should overestimate the impact of the yellow jersey. Clearly it gives him some authority, but lot's of riders backed him up, including Contador who as defending champion also has a lot of authority. Add to that the fact that almost every serious contender crashed and I'm not sure if Cancellara being in yellow actually mattered beyond making him the spokesman. I'm not saying it wasn't a factor (I have no way of knowing) but it certainly wasn't the only factor.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
he can obviously cancel stages :rolleyes:

Hinault commanded a go slow when he was in the peleton, not sure if he was in yellow, but if Hinault wanted something you gave it to him
:D

if you want to ride up to a breakaway and tell a certain rider he's not allowed be there, that's allowed:mad:

you make everyone in the peleton wear your poxy yellow armbands:rolleyes:

That would be at the Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré in the 80's where he wanted his team mates to have a day off, so one young upstart decided to attack, and Hinault enraged with anger, broke off, chased him down and won the stage.

TRENDING THREADS