• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Procycling interview with McQuaid

Anyone read the McQuaid interview in this months Procycling ???? whay aload of old toss !!!! not one awkward question, who is the interviewer ??? someone called Isabel Best , anybody know her ?? would have thought it would have been conducted by the editor at least, or somebody like Kimmage.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
orbeas said:
Anyone read the McQuaid interview in this months Procycling ???? whay aload of old toss !!!! not one awkward question, who is the interviewer ??? someone called Isabel Best , anybody know her ?? would have thought it would have been conducted by the editor at least, or somebody like Kimmage.

McQuaid refuses to appear on the same radio show as Kimmage even when they are not in the same country, he's hardly gonna talk to him.:rolleyes:

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:

Several striking this jump out at me in reading that article.

1. We have a new addition to the use of Lance paid funds "juniors testing" - had never heard that one. What rationale is there for citing this as a direct use of those funds? As a show of strength against doping or is the dope testing of juniors underfunded?

2. The perpetuation of the lie regarding "It’s impossible for us to be corrupt in relation to anti-doping" and the reason cited as “Every test result that comes to the UCI also goes to the World Anti-Doping Agency. And so if they see a positive coming in and the UCI is sitting on it, they’d be straight onto it. There’s no way you can hide evidence under the table.” - As reference in connection to the allegation that Lance paid the UCI to make a 2001 Tour de Suisse EPO positive disappear, this is not true. Results of tests in 2001 were not forwarded simultaneously to WADA. In fact, it was not until 2004 that transmitting results to multiple parties occurred. Mr. McQuaid is simply lying as to this point. I really wish someone would take this point uo with him and press. The fall back position is that the UCI went back and checked their records and there was no positive... Duh! That's kind of the point of a cover-up, to MAKE SURE there are NO RECORDS lying about!

3. McQuaid reveals "Dr Mario Zorzoli, showed us a graph of the average blood values of the peloton from 1998 to 2010. It’s the figures for haematocrit, reticulocytes and haemoglobin – all important elements for knowing if there’s something illicit going on. And it shows from 1998 and up to 2001 or 2002, figures were quite high and that covers the erythropoietin (EPO) period" - what do we take from this? That it is only NOW they understand what has transpired? Or that it is OK to call that "time" the EPO Period, as if it was some forgotten ancient age? Or, as baseball does, by calling things the "Steroid Era", permit us to squint our eyes and look sideways at the results during that time? And these are in the center of Lance's TdF victories? What does that imply? McQuaid is ethically and intellectually bankrupted, as he was there during that "time" and now waxes about how far they've come, as if he has some accomplishment.

Boy, this fool gets me worked up.

Colm.Murphy said:

... What does that imply? McQuaid is ethically and intellectually bankrupted, as he was there during that "time" and now waxes about how far they've come, as if he has some accomplishment.

Looking all the more like a tin-pot dictator, deaf to the sounds of the angry mob outside, he now adds this from today's CyclingNews interview:

If there were a small impoverished sport somewhere looking for its King and all the money he stole, I think we just found him.

Dave.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Someone nearby the UCI should take up McQuaid on his offer to "Come over and spend a day in the UCI office and see what your opinion is." and start sniffing around and ask for the receipt to Lance's donations, or the receipt for the supposed testing equipment purchased, and ask a hell of a lot of questions.

Then report back here...

McQuaid is such a tool he makes me sick

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:

1. We have a new addition to the use of Lance paid funds "juniors testing" - had never heard that one. What rationale is there for citing this as a direct use of those funds? As a show of strength against doping or is the dope testing of juniors underfunded?

2. The perpetuation of the lie regarding "It’s impossible for us to be corrupt in relation to anti-doping" and the reason cited as “Every test result that comes to the UCI also goes to the World Anti-Doping Agency. And so if they see a positive coming in and the UCI is sitting on it, they’d be straight onto it. There’s no way you can hide evidence under the table.” - As reference in connection to the allegation that Lance paid the UCI to make a 2001 Tour de Suisse EPO positive disappear, this is not true. Results of tests in 2001 were not forwarded simultaneously to WADA. In fact, it was not until 2004 that transmitting results to multiple parties occurred. Mr. McQuaid is simply lying as to this point. I really wish someone would take this point uo with him and press. The fall back position is that the UCI went back and checked their records and there was no positive... Duh! That's kind of the point of a cover-up, to MAKE SURE there are NO RECORDS lying about!

3. McQuaid reveals "Dr Mario Zorzoli, showed us a graph of the average blood values of the peloton from 1998 to 2010. It’s the figures for haematocrit, reticulocytes and haemoglobin – all important elements for knowing if there’s something illicit going on. And it shows from 1998 and up to 2001 or 2002, figures were quite high and that covers the erythropoietin (EPO) period" - what do we take from this? That it is only NOW they understand what has transpired? Or that it is OK to call that "time" the EPO Period, as if it was some forgotten ancient age? Or, as baseball does, by calling things the "Steroid Era", permit us to squint our eyes and look sideways at the results during that time? And these are in the center of Lance's TdF victories? What does that imply? McQuaid is ethically and intellectually bankrupted, as he was there during that "time" and now waxes about how far they've come, as if he has some accomplishment.

No, you get yourself worked up by reading rag papers that do not show the full interview and only select sentences. Relax. Take some time to read other publications that have the interview, especially that do not leave out key components to a response.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Who wants to take McQuaid up on his offer to go to the UCI headquarters and to investigate corruption for a day? Maybe NYVC

I don't know why they didn't just announce it as 'Statement From the UCI press office'
Nah - he tried that before.....
"$100,000 is the figure and the receipt is available for anyone to see at the UCI headquarters in Aigle", McQuaid told Cyclingnews

When a blogger (Veloclubdonlogan) emailed the UCI they got a responce from none other than Pat himself, with some new terms and conditions....
Mr Fairley I have no intention of emailing any documents to a member of the public in relation to this affair.

If any journalist [NB his emphasis] wishes to see the documentation they can come to Aigle when we have it ready and see it.

Best regards

Pat McQuaid

Pat goes on to say that two publications expressed an interest in seeing the documentation.
But the only one I saw reported was this piece by CN's Stephen Farrand -
McQuaid showed Cyclingnews a photocopy of the invoice of the Sysmex blood testing machine that a large part of Armstrong $100,000 donation was used to buy. He refused to let us take a photograph of it, keeping it in a file marked 'Confidential'.

I understand McQuaid has to say Landis has no credibility and the UCI is not corrupt, I'm cool with that, but it's incredibly petty to go out of his way to belittle Landis by pointing out repeatedly how boring he thought the interview is. Petty, and childish too.

But then this is McQuaid we are talking about. A man who will never admit to being wrong and who loves the sound of his own voice.

I am sure that McQuaid, his cronies and the interviewer all had a good chuckle over how 'boring' the Landis interview was. I am pretty sure that there is no one in the UCI saying to McQuaid - 'don't say that boss it makes you look like a ****ing moron.'

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
But then this is McQuaid we are talking about. A man who will never admit to being wrong and who loves the sound of his own voice.

I am sure that McQuaid, his cronies and the interviewer all had a good chuckle over how 'boring' the Landis interview was. I am pretty sure that there is no one in the UCI saying to McQuaid - 'don't say that boss it makes you look like a ****ing moron.'

Its a wonder one of Pats 5 lawyers at the UCI didn't read him the Kimmage article or get it down for some points that Pat could digest.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Its a wonder one of Pats 5 lawyers at the UCI didn't read him the Kimmage article or get it down for some points that Pat could digest.

oh he read it and read it again and then again, of that i am sure.;)

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
petethedrummer said:
Pat will be on the IOC in the next few years.
This is something that I find concerning. How can a man who has a lifetime ban from the Olympics end up sitting on the IOC?

In going to race in South Africa in late 75 he showed at an early age his attitude to rules & regulations.

"There has never been corruption at the UCI. Our Union is more than a union. It is a federation of the world. Questioning it is questioning humanity and life itself. We will last forever while our enemies will drink the brackish water of frustration and defeat. By the short hairs of the Prophet, may all who question our great Union be sent to the third hell to be torn apart by dogs. Long life to our dear leader, Pat McQuaid."

07-minister.jpg

May 26, 2010
Visit site
ultimobici said:
This is something that I find concerning. How can a man who has a lifetime ban from the Olympics end up sitting on the IOC?

In going to race in South Africa in late 75 he showed at an early age his attitude to rules & regulations.

Yep. it shows the level of corruption in sport, not just cycling.