• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Proposal to JV --

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
JMBeaushrimp said:
Wouldn't Caltech be a bit more casual-chic? Bummed clothes, but a sweet ride?

Hey! Maybe a bit more like Freddy from Scooby-Doo? Hangs out with some stoners and a couple of hot chicks (that's right, a couple - not everyone likes the Daphne type), drives around in a wicked van (The Mystery Machine), has a hidden source of endless financial resources, always is coming up with hair-brained plans to 'catch the evil doers', and EVEN WEARS AN ASCOT.

Holy Sh*t! I may have found 'Freddy' personified! Admitedly, you may have to put JV on a weight-gain program (based on his history, it may not be too hard to convince him to jack it up), but apart from that it could be the match that's been nagging at me...

Oh, Freddy...

JV may the one who in the end gets his mask pulled off and exclaims, "I would've gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling Internet kids."

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Elagabalus said:
Ascot? No self-respecting "scientist" at Caltech would wear an ascot. It might clash with their Royal Blue sweater vest!

hey, our basketball team just snapped a 310 game losing streak last night - the mojo is back. Caltech Nike licensed athletic apparel is the new lab wear...

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
mastersracer said:
hey, our basketball team just snapped a 310 game losing streak last night - the mojo is back. Caltech Nike licensed athletic apparel is the new lab wear...

I was going to school in Pasadena when MIT took the highway sign that read

Cal Tech

Pasadena City College

Next Exit

and changed it to read:

Cal Tech

(Pasadena City College)

Next Exit

I never laughed so hard in my life.

Man, I'd give anything to eat Lunch at Burger Continental right now.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
I was going to school in Pasadena when MIT took the highway sign that read

and changed it to read:

I never laughed so hard in my life.

Man, I'd give anything to eat Lunch at Burger Continental right now.

Easy man. You may get called out for Trolling. See Post 142 for reference. :D

JV continuing the dialog on Twitter

JV offered this up about 40m ago on Twitter:

@festinagirl correct, many v intelligent folks. but by being anonymous, you have no responsibility for actions, which hurts implied ethics.

To which I will respond here that:

Being anonymous means that you can only be judged by what you say - not by who you are, and not by what your reputation or background may be.

Consider me, and any other anonymous poster, as a nobody.

If our words hold any truth, or our arguments any merit, then that is all you need to do to 'connect the dots' and judge us.

If we open our mouths and betray ourselves to be fools, we will be far more quickly judged given our anonymity than we would otherwise.

He followed later with this:

@festinagirl accountability is very difficult with anonymity. Not impossible, but more hurdles.

Exactly. It is far harder to build credibility with anonymity. But, it is purely gained as you are only judged by what you say - and not by how much power, money, experience, connections, or influence you have.

Dave.

D-Queued said:
JV offered this up about 40m ago on Twitter:

To which I will respond here that:

Being anonymous means that you can only be judged by what you say - not by who you are, and not by what your reputation or background may be.

Consider me, and any other anonymous poster, as a nobody.

If our words hold any truth, or our arguments any merit, then that is all you need to do to 'connect the dots' and judge us.

If we open our mouths and betray ourselves to be fools, we will be far more quickly judged given our anonymity than we would otherwise.

He followed later with this:

Exactly. It is far harder to build credibility with anonymity. But, it is purely gained as you are only judged by what you say - and not by how much power, money, experience, connections, or influence you have.

Dave.

It goes back to what was said last week (was it Patty?). The natural response is to question the person who is making the statement without even looking at the details. None of these spinners, JV included, want to deal with the details in public. Someone who is anonymous has more or less neutral credibility (in the wider scheme, regular followers of that alias will be able to judge though). It is a huge concern if someone is telling truths and you have no basis to question them (i.e. their character). like you could if you knew who they were.

What I don't get, is that the vast majority of the anon. blogosphere is a bunch of nobodies. Most people are not part of the "in" group of professional cycling. We could tell McQuaid and JV our name and address but at the end of the day we are still "credibility neutral" because we are no one. I guess the response though is that "you are nobody, how can you know the facts?"

I think FG more or less hit the nail on the head with this one.

Ferminal said:

I think FG more or less hit the nail on the head with this one.

And good on her!

The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

We will approve of you or improve you.

For someone that proposed a mea culpa that they had judged wrong, why would they be afraid of external opinion?

They should welcome it.

If you were truly wrong on Tondo, JV, then you should be seeking external counsel and insight.

Dave.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
"by being anonymous, you have no responsibility for actions, which hurts implied ethics."

WTF?

As a poster in The Clinic, I have no 'actions', only statements made. As far as 'implied ethics', FFS what is he talking about? The interest here is not in MY ethics (implied or otherwise), it is on the ethics of JV and the other proprietors of this carnival-reality ride called "the new cycling".

"accountability is very difficult with anonymity. Not impossible, but..." Yawn. Nice attempt at misdirection. How did this suddenly become a discussion on the social morays of The Clinic?

Is this the best the professor has got? This guy couldn't pontificate his way out of a plastic (blood) bag. :(

May 26, 2010
Visit site
NashbarShorts said:
"by being anonymous, you have no responsibility for actions, which hurts implied ethics."

WTF?

As a poster in The Clinic, I have no 'actions', only statements made. As far as 'implied ethics', FFS what is he talking about? The interest here is not in MY ethics (implied or otherwise), it is on the ethics of JV and the other proprietors of this carnival-reality ride called "the new cycling".

"accountability is very difficult with anonymity. Not impossible, but..." Yawn. Nice attempt at misdirection. How did this suddenly become a discussion on the social morays of The Clinic?

Is this the best the professor has got? This guy couldn't pontificate his way out of a plastic (blood) bag. :(

when i read your post if brought back to me the political spin that politicians love to put on their BS, " third way", "big society" etc....and when i read "the new cycling" it made me think of that.

JV is flying to close to that spin for me and when you pull back the curtain what do we get to see, that he aint no wonderful wizard of Clean cycling, he's been a very bad man, to paraphase Dorothy and well if the Clinic is Toto so be it.:D

The fog lifts from JV. The man who would have us believe that he supports clean cycling has thrown his lot in with Johan Bruyneel to set up a breakaway cycling league. Now we know why he has been unwilling to tell the truth about U.S. Postal. It would damage his future business partner. Maybe partner in crime would be a better term. We can only imagine the amount of doping that will go on in a league run by Bruyneel.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The fog lifts from JV. The man who would have us believe that he supports clean cycling has thrown his lot in with Johan Bruyneel to set up a breakaway cycling league. Now we know why he has been unwilling to tell the truth about U.S. Postal. It would damage his future business partner. Maybe partner in crime would be a better term. We can only imagine the amount of doping that will go on in a league run by Bruyneel.

Just catching up. Link?

I hope it doesn't entirely crush my spirit. I'm already cranky and cynical. Please, please, please don't make me go entirely insane and angry.

TRENDING THREADS