• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Protest against Cavendish

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
It's been really interesting to read the comments. Most people here agree with the fact that Cavendish shows a huge amount of disrespect to his collegues in the peloton. The people who get behind Cavendish cannot defend his behaviour, but only reply with stuff like: "bohoo, that is sprinting, that is what happens" or they tallk about other riders and how they have been in the past. None of it any relevant in the dicussion on Cav's behaviour. If you don't like how McEwen used to behave, well, start your own thread.

I hope UCI gives Cav a ban for repeatedly bad sportmanship and that he looses TDF and that the spot is given to Greipel.

I can't see how HTC can let this go on and get behind a rider who behaves like that. He belongs on a team with Ricco and Rasmussen, all of them can't behave!

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
timmer88 said:
its pretty clear that a lot of people on this thread apparently think cavendish can do no wrong. anyone who has actually seen the footage of the crash will clearly see cavendish cut across the front of the pack and run directly into haussler. i dont think haussler deserves any blame, the only thing he did was to hold his line and not just let cavendish cut him off. slicing across the front of the group like that is a cheap trick to try to scare other riders into hesitating and losing their momentum, and this time it backfired on cavendish and unfortunately he took down a lot of riders with him. his reactions to criticism after the race also show his lack of respect toward the other riders and thier safety as well. i personally think he got off light considering all the damage he did

Give me a break, look at the overhead video, both Haussler and Cavendish move across in front of Ciolek. The front shots show that seconds before the crash Cavendish looked left to check where Ciolek was, that was the last time he looked. Once Haussler and Cavendish cleared Ciolek neither looked to their side, and neither realised they were heading towards each other. The other riders had already lost their momentum, and this was not caused by anything Cavendish or Haussler did, it was the natural consequence of a sprint where two riders were better than the rest. Ciolek was clearly going backwards before either Cavendish or Haussler cleared him, his momentum was not slowed by either. Cavendish and Haussler both miscalculated where the other was and as the whole incident lasted about two to three seconds they had little time to react.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
laura.weislo said:
Received a bit of clarification from McEwen... seems the riders said Cavendish didn't just spit, he spit on Haussler after being blamed. Not sure as he didn't witness it himself, but I suppose that is what triggered the protest, not so much the massive get off. Adrenaline aside, seems like Cav could do with a bit of anger management training if that's true.

Thank you for bringing this to us Laura. Finally someone at CN who dares to report things as it is. This just goes to prove my point against Cav.

All the Cav supporters here.....can you get behind this kind of behaviour?

Hawkwood said:
Give me a break, look at the overhead video, both Haussler and Cavendish move across in front of Ciolek.
The overhead video also has the benefit of showing the road markings, and these show that Cav is responsible for the vast majority of the sideways movement. Haussler does some, but it's no way a converging in the centre, it's a converging off to one side where Cav has come all the way across.

I notice you're in the UK though, so if you want to ignore rules and reality to cling to a patriotic standpoint, I'll point you in the direction of some football boards where you can discuss the world cup. The amount of people who love football yet know absolutely nothing about it is astounding.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
falls will happen...cavendish does have the most significant lateral movement...this isn't the issue, though...his spitting is...he's a wound-up character...what makes him great, also makes him awful...

A

Anonymous

Libertine Seguros said:
I notice you're in the UK though, so if you want to ignore rules and reality to cling to a patriotic standpoint,

can you stop assuming everyone is posting based on some sort of nationalistic bias

TeamSkyFans said:
can you stop assuming everyone is posting based on some sort of nationalistic bias

I don't think there's some kind of nationalistic bias. When people from Australia start acting like Evans can do no wrong even when he does, and when Britons start acting like Cav can do no wrong even when he does, it makes you wonder.

Some people have got the lynch mob out for Cav for this. Others seem to think he did nothing wrong. The majority of the latter group share his nationality. What am I supposed to think? Look, we all allow personal biases to cloud our judgement. Nationality is but one way to create fan support (sharing of common identity), and that can create bias. People are willing to overlook facts when riders they're personally biased towards are involved. I try not to be, but I know I am.

Libertine Seguros said:
I don't think there's some kind of nationalistic bias. When people from Australia start acting like Evans can do no wrong even when he does, and when Britons start acting like Cav can do no wrong even when he does, it makes you wonder.

Some people have got the lynch mob out for Cav for this. Others seem to think he did nothing wrong. The majority of the latter group share his nationality. What am I supposed to think? Look, we all allow personal biases to cloud our judgement. Nationality is but one way to create fan support (sharing of common identity), and that can create bias. People are willing to overlook facts when riders they're personally biased towards are involved. I try not to be, but I know I am.

Naw only the ones who, in this case, chalk it up to "that's cycling" are not seeing things correctly. And it is their preferences doing the damage to their critical judgment.

I enjoyed watching Betini win, for example, but when he ran that German rider (?) into the barriers to win his last Giro stage a few years back, I had no excuse for the man. He comported himself in a vile manner and it was right for the race jury to move him back to last place. One needs also to be objective now and then. ;)

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
At least Cav (or his team) had the brain enough to not start today. Second time this year that Cav has had to stand off because he has been acting like an idiot! Is he gonna take the hint this time? Probably not....sigh...

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Cav pulled out of the race because there are no sprint stages left and he doesn't want to tire himself out in the mountains before the Tour de France. That was the plan before he even started the race, it had nothing to do with the crash.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Cav pulled out of the race because there are no sprint stages left and he doesn't want to tire himself out in the mountains before the Tour de France. That was the plan before he even started the race, it had nothing to do with the crash.

I don't think he has raced enough to be tired...I mean really.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:

Well, if it was the plan it was new's to the Columbia-HTC management.

This is what Brian Holm said yesterday.
"He got through ok, and that's what counts," Holm told Cycling Weekly afterwards, "we'll be taking it on the day by day."

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:

Riiiiight, how conveniant! This was not planned according to the HTC-website. He completed last year and the team was looking to work well together for this years addition as well. Stange also that all the other sprinters (that cav didn't take out of the race) are continuing, they also to participating in the tour. And seriousy.......you gonna be so tired after two mountain stages TWO weeks before TDF that you're not gonna get enough rest? Bollo#¤&

But ofcourse he is gonna use that excuse!

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:

actually, he's going to attend his grandmothers funeral.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Newgymshoes said:
Riiiiight, how conveniant! This was not planned according to the HTC-website. He completed last year and the team was looking to work well together for this years addition as well. Stange also that all the other sprinters (that cav didn't take out of the race) are continuing, they also to participating in the tour. And seriousy.......you gonna be so tired after two mountain stages TWO weeks before TDF that you're not gonna get enough rest? Bollo#¤&

But ofcourse he is gonna use that excuse!

i don't think you like Cavendish. What not put it in your signature, then check out the rest of the forum...it is getting tiring as i don't think he did much wrong....dont remember Cipo finish too many GTs....get over it.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
i don't think you like Cavendish. What not put it in your signature, then check out the rest of the forum...it is getting tiring as i don't think he did much wrong....dont remember Cipo finish too many GTs....get over it.

Ah...you don't get it! This is not just about the crash but about his extreme disrespect for the other riders and for his idiotic behaviour! If this is tiring to you, why are you on this thread?