Protest against Cavendish

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2010
1
0
0
Let's hope he doesn't lose too many sponsors ......However....Camel cigarettes maybe interested now, with his spitting antics and BIG Teeth

Cameldish
 
The question then has to be, why is Cavendish somebody you can get behind? The guy has shown time and again that he's a douche. He's a hugely talented douche, but a douche nonetheless. His arrogant statements and demeanour are marketable but also make him hugely punchable, much like Ricardo Riccò before him. As a result, people want to see him get his comeuppance, because nobody likes a shithead. And because of his past behaviour (towards Rooijakkers, for example) when hearsay such as this is reported, people immediately believe it because it's plausible coming from him - just the same as when the head of the Italian cycling authority said that Valverde was linked to Humanplasma many on the board jumped on the bandwagon even though there was no evidence and still remains none to link him to it. Because we know it's in their character.

Plus, when the same team win every single bunch sprint, it gets pretty goddamn boring. Therefore I will root against Cavendish every time, nothing to do with him as a person, but because I want somebody to be able to beat him, because the only good thing about a bunch sprint is unpredictability, which the Columbia train and Cavendish's dominance last year took away.

If you're one of those people who see Cav as somebody to get behind solely because he just happens to be born on the same island as you (or at least one very close to the one you're from) then I can't be bothered to discuss it with you though.
 
Mar 12, 2009
701
0
0
Libertine Seguros said:
The question then has to be, why is Cavendish somebody you can get behind? The guy has shown time and again that he's a douche. He's a hugely talented douche, but a douche nonetheless. His arrogant statements and demeanour are marketable but also make him hugely punchable, much like Ricardo Riccò before him. As a result, people want to see him get his comeuppance, because nobody likes a shithead. And because of his past behaviour (towards Rooijakkers, for example) when hearsay such as this is reported, people immediately believe it because it's plausible coming from him - just the same as when the head of the Italian cycling authority said that Valverde was linked to Humanplasma many on the board jumped on the bandwagon even though there was no evidence and still remains none to link him to it. Because we know it's in their character.

Plus, when the same team win every single bunch sprint, it gets pretty goddamn boring. Therefore I will root against Cavendish every time, nothing to do with him as a person, but because I want somebody to be able to beat him, because the only good thing about a bunch sprint is unpredictability, which the Columbia train and Cavendish's dominance last year took away.

If you're one of those people who see Cav as somebody to get behind solely because he just happens to be born on the same island as you (or at least one very close to the one you're from) then I can't be bothered to discuss it with you though.
i dont disagree with anything you say, but i happen to get behind him as hes british, and there arent a massive amount to get behind. but would you be happy to see him out of the sport?
 
Jun 19, 2009
5,220
0
0
Libertine Seguros said:
Plus, when the same team win every single bunch sprint, it gets pretty goddamn boring. Therefore I will root against Cavendish every time, nothing to do with him as a person, but because I want somebody to be able to beat him, because the only good thing about a bunch sprint is unpredictability, which the Columbia train and Cavendish's dominance last year took away.

If you're one of those people who see Cav as somebody to get behind solely because he just happens to be born on the same island as you (or at least one very close to the one you're from) then I can't be bothered to discuss it with you though.
I can appreciate a well-orchestrated lead out and, yes it does get boring. Other teams are now coming up to speed and this crash could be seen as Cav's tactical response to vulnerability and the inevitability that he will get beaten. He can talk trash and gesture after the line all he wants but if he is spitting and chopping riders his DS needs to have an intervention or someone else will do it. He's crossed the line.
 
Jan 20, 2010
713
0
0
Libertine Seguros said:
If you're one of those people who see Cav as somebody to get behind solely because he just happens to be born on the same island as you (or at least one very close to the one you're from) then I can't be bothered to discuss it with you though.
And that is absolutely fair comment. It's fine to get in behind and support riders from your home country, but don't get blinded by their dangerous riding and bulls$%t antics.

Anyone thinking Cavendish was even remotely in the right in all of this are way off base, the riders don't protest en masse against an individual rider for nothing, race juries don't hand out penalties for nothing, and the weight of opinion against Cav from seasoned old pros and commentators saying he was dangerous doesn't happen just because some fans don't like him.

What has been said, has been said because he was fkn dangerous.
 
Apr 12, 2010
647
0
0
tgsgirl said:
He was too busy being in agony?
Cav must be able to spit a heck of a long way if he managed to spit at HH whilst laying on the ground with a AG2R rider & a couple of bikes on top of him whilst HH is being helped away. Once the tangle of bodies & machines were cleared away he was helped away along the barriers & then back to the bus by team mates. So far no one has actually said they witnessed this incident.

And no one broke a hip

http://twitpic.com/1x2ehw
 
Mar 12, 2009
701
0
0
Night Rider said:
And that is absolutely fair comment. It's fine to get in behind and support riders from your home country, but don't get blinded by their dangerous riding and bulls$%t antics.

Anyone thinking Cavendish was even remotely in the right in all of this are way off base, the riders don't protest en masse against an individual rider for nothing, race juries don't hand out penalties for nothing, and the weight of opinion against Cav from seasoned old pros and commentators saying he was dangerous doesn't happen just because some fans don't like him.

What has been said, has been said because he was fkn dangerous.
but no, it wasnt as dangerous as you or everyone is saying thats my point! cav was at fault yes, but not completely at fault. ciolek and haussler did contribute (albeit only slightly)

this whole episode is making me feel really hollow.
 
Totally missed this because I didn't bother to watch the stage. It looks from the video that they both go towards the middle of the road and Haussler leans in a bit (no Cav fan here btw).

Shocking if the spitting thing is true though :( Well, not wholly surprising..
 
Night Rider said:
And that is absolutely fair comment. It's fine to get in behind and support riders from your home country, but don't get blinded by their dangerous riding and bulls$%t antics.

Anyone thinking Cavendish was even remotely in the right in all of this are way off base, the riders don't protest en masse against an individual rider for nothing, race juries don't hand out penalties for nothing, and the weight of opinion against Cav from seasoned old pros and commentators saying he was dangerous doesn't happen just because some fans don't like him.

What has been said, has been said because he was fkn dangerous.
Exactly. This was obviously the talk of the dinner tables last night, together with the spitting. Now, I recall protests at a start but NEVER against a particular rider. I look forward to the next sprint he is in (and will likely win) and the classy get it up you response. He is a complete .....
 
May 25, 2009
403
0
0
So the supposed spitting incident - it took place just after he crashed at 60 km/h then had two guys ride over him, right?
 
Apr 26, 2010
358
0
0
"The one minute delay at the start today was a signal from his peers that what happened yesterday, the spitting incident after the crash in particular, is not acceptable and I'm sure he understands the message."
that's all the spitting in that article...
 
Apr 5, 2010
82
0
0
flicker said:
Just for the record do you feel the same about Paolo Betini running Stuart O Grady into the barriers, or any of the chaps who have taken out Chris Horner, or how Mckewen uses his body and head like a boa constrictor to impede his competitors. Where do yo draw the line or is it just an issue with Cavendish?
Hey fanboy, do you bother to read a post before your ranting? Do you feel the same about the price of rice in China?

Didn't think so. Because it has nothing thfk to do with Cav does it?
 
Apr 7, 2010
97
0
0
stefrees said:
but its still hearsay. there is a big concerted effort by other riders, fans AND the press to vilify cav, hes had a pretty bad 9 months - brother in jail, split up with long term fiance, health problems, and this week his grandmother died. i get the impression a lot in the sport want rid of him. hes someone who has really got interest of cycling up in the uk, he speaks his mind against doping (still very little do-hes villified for this yet omerta still exists) and hes an excellent sprinter. i find it genuinely sad that someone as a british cycling fan that someone who i can get behind is being villified-yes hes made mistakes but they dont warrant the abuse hes receiving
This is all true, and much is also the reason why the forum are vilifying him.

Most on this forum would probably have to admit that, in their heart of hearts, it is not his sprint on Stage 4 they have a problem with, it's that Cavendish was a potential English speaking cycling "hero" to most of us English speakers.

He seemed strong, confident, a sportsman, a winner and a gentleman.

But like our last fallen hero, Lance Armstrong, he proved arrogant, a guy who would ditch the woman who stood by his side, a cheater (or someone who bent the rules in Cavendish's case).

What you see on these forums is a community mourning a fallen hero and expressing that by lashing out at him (do I sound like a new-age aromatherapist yet?)

I thought Cav could be the guy I rooted for when I saw that special they did on him, they followed him past the BMX race track of his youth, showed him walking on the beach with his fiance, showed the interviews where he seemed like a down to earth guy. Then he started giving the two finger salute...

So, true, Cav did nothing worse than Robbie McEwen has done, but RM wasn't a hero, Cav could have been.
 
Oct 27, 2009
218
0
0
Ferminal said:
I think the protest is silly, but pretty much all "peloton protests" in cycling are based on rubbish.

For me it just shows the level of contempt for Cavendish amongst his fellow professionals.
During the 2009 Giro the Peloton neutralized a stage because of "unsafe course conditions." I don't see this protest any different except applicable to a rider.
Oh yeah, "it wasn't Frodo's Fault?" No, to be sure it was those dastardly Orcs!:D
 
Jun 18, 2009
2,079
1
0
A bit off topic...

Anyone watch the Tour de Suisse coverage today on Versus? Did you notice Sherwin didn't mention the protest or the fine or Cavendish spitting. As a matter of fact he felt it necessary to point out that Cavendish is probably angry about the crash and might very well win today.

Why does everyone on Versus feel the need to kiss the *** of any english speaking rider? I'm to the point where I'm doubting I can even watch it this July.
 
Jul 28, 2009
898
0
0
flicker said:
Go try some amatuer (sic) races that is what sprinters do. That is the game.
People do lots of things that are not made acceptable merely by their doing them. I have been on the receiving end of this sort of activity, but only once. I'm a firm beleiver in giving kharma a helping hand.
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,856
0
0
stefrees said:
but its still hearsay. there is a big concerted effort by other riders, fans AND the press to vilify cav, hes had a pretty bad 9 months - brother in jail, split up with long term fiance, health problems, and this week his grandmother died. i get the impression a lot in the sport want rid of him. hes someone who has really got interest of cycling up in the uk, he speaks his mind against doping (still very little do-hes villified for this yet omerta still exists) and hes an excellent sprinter. i find it genuinely sad that someone as a british cycling fan that someone who i can get behind is being villified-yes hes made mistakes but they dont warrant the abuse hes receiving
you gotta be the most gullible individual on this board to believe Cav is clean. His head has grown about 3 sizes in two seasons. Guy is on the FULL program and some.

Risible post.
 
May 20, 2010
169
0
0
flicker said:
Just for the record do you feel the same about Paolo Betini running Baden Cooke into the barriers, or any of the chaps who have taken out Chris Horner, or how Mckewen uses his body and head like a boa constrictor to impede his competitors. Where do yo draw the line or is it just an issue with Cavendish?
Fixed it for you. You're welcome.
 
Aug 6, 2009
1,901
0
0
richwagmn said:
A bit off topic...

Anyone watch the Tour de Suisse coverage today on Versus? Did you notice Sherwin didn't mention the protest or the fine or Cavendish spitting. As a matter of fact he felt it necessary to point out that Cavendish is probably angry about the crash and might very well win today.
Today? That would be a nice trick. Or was he talking about yesterday?
 
flicker said:
I think Cavendish and Haussler were wrong. Cav. slowed and cut over, Haussler accelerated and elbowed and hit Cav.
If you are a pro, you need to expect it. If you can't take the heat ramp it up and drop those dangerous guys.
Otherwise ride 2 hundred feet back you will still get the same time. The protesters are wooses and whiners.
All I can say is come race in Italy with that attitude and do what Cav did. The next race you will be "accidentally" run off the road into a ditch at 50K per hour.

And you'll be the whiner.

It's unbelievable how people like you think you have a brain, but certainly no class. Cycling isn't a bumper car derby. Cav needs to learn that. Guys were sent to the hospital becuase of his recklessnes, not a fault in the course, weather conditions, or a mere accident. There's where the protest is to be found. That and the fact that, right on form, Cav didn't even feel obliged to, I'm not saying make a public apology, but to even apologize to those he sent straight to the hospital.
 
Jun 19, 2009
5,220
0
0
rata de sentina said:
People do lots of things that are not made acceptable merely by their doing them. I have been on the receiving end of this sort of activity, but only once. I'm a firm beleiver in giving kharma a helping hand.
Amen, buddha. The road is a nice place for equalization.
 
Jun 17, 2010
8
0
0
its pretty clear that a lot of people on this thread apparently think cavendish can do no wrong. anyone who has actually seen the footage of the crash will clearly see cavendish cut across the front of the pack and run directly into haussler. i dont think haussler deserves any blame, the only thing he did was to hold his line and not just let cavendish cut him off. slicing across the front of the group like that is a cheap trick to try to scare other riders into hesitating and losing their momentum, and this time it backfired on cavendish and unfortunately he took down a lot of riders with him. his reactions to criticism after the race also show his lack of respect toward the other riders and thier safety as well. i personally think he got off light considering all the damage he did
 

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
3,480
0
0
I don't know how true this is, but I read in the paper today that Cervelo is contemplating bringin a case before the UCI against Cav for the incident, I do not know whether this is for the crash, the spitting or a combination of both
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY