• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Puerto bags to be handed over

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
great news. I just hope they've not been damaged by the long storage. I recall seeing on another thread that storage over a long period can result in it becoming impossible to tell whether PEDs were present, does anyone recall? It'd be a real kick in the teeth if it looked like the truth was finally about to come out but the blood was unable to tell its story, as it were

Re:

Cake said:
great news. I just hope they've not been damaged by the long storage. I recall seeing on another thread that storage over a long period can result in it becoming impossible to tell whether PEDs were present, does anyone recall? It'd be a real kick in the teeth if it looked like the truth was finally about to come out but the blood was unable to tell its story, as it were

The blood is the PED

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Won't believe anything till names of other dopers more than cyclists are revealed.

Bet Frank and Andy Schleck are not sitting comfortable right now......

The bags still need to be matched with something. Can't go around trying to match them with random blood samples.

So I figure this'll be a concern for people like Cancellara who have been tentatively linked with this or that particular pseudonym/bag, but not for any football players.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Re:

The Hitch said:
Are Spain really going to let one of their world cup winning team or Nadal be tarnished?

Do you really think Nadal will be involved? I am unsure. He really made in roads around 2004/5 and the investigation mainly took place in 05' so Nadal would have to have a pretty established relationship with Eufe early on in his career if he was to be implicated.

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
giphy.gif

I don't think much will come of this. It's obvious that the Spanish authorities did a nice job of delaying this for 10 (!!!) years. The longer it was delayed, the better. Which names will come out? Probably the ones that were speculated 10 years ago (Ullrich, Basso, Valverde, Jackshe, Manzano, etc). Contador's name, among other names, was cleared by the Spanish authorities. I'd be very surprised if totally different athletes were named, particularly star athletes like Nadal. I am hoping I am wrong and I am hoping that big names are out in the public and at least we know who they are, after 10 years. I don't want to beat up on Nadal, but perhaps, if his name is revealed, then perhaps that's why he retired from Roland Garros and withdrew from Wimbledon. It would be really nice if something massive came out of this. I went to Hajo Seppelt's twitter account, and predictably, didn't see anything regarding this. He's still stuck in the Russian doldrums.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Even if bans couldn't be formally given, organisers could refuse letting team with those riders ride their races, effectively ending their careers. This would be a good thing. Cheaters have to pay, and it would be hilarious if instead of proper sentencing because of sstatute of limitation, they ended up paying the price by being shunted aside by their teams, unable to race, basically bullied out of their job omerta style.... ironic.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
Isn't the Wada statute of limitations running out like this month?

Or was it 2 years ago?
Perhaps they want to pursue criminal proceedings against some people involved, which would not be covered by WADA's statute of limitations.

IIRC, in Spain the statute of limitations stops ticking the very moment someone initiates legal proceedings, unlike in countries such as Italy, where the statute of limitations continues to run while the legal proceedings take place.

Re: Re:

veji11 said:
Even if bans couldn't be formally given, organisers could refuse letting team with those riders ride their races, effectively ending their careers. This would be a good thing. Cheaters have to pay, and it would be hilarious if instead of proper sentencing because of sstatute of limitation, they ended up paying the price by being shunted aside by their teams, unable to race, basically bullied out of their job omerta style.... ironic.

10 years have passed so you'd assume that most would be retired or about to retire by now

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
no names, me thinks.
just WADA being able to say "look, we really did everything we could".

And in the exceptional case names will be named, everybody involved has their script written out for them from the 1998 TdF retested athletes or the Garmin affidavits.

TRENDING THREADS