• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Puerto bags to be handed over

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Tienus said:
There are no blood bags required in football as there is no testing for EPO.
if i'm not mistaken, regular blood transfusions and epo treatment can complement each other, i.e. it's not necessarily a matter of either/or.
but perhaps that's only true if you microdose, which as you point out football players don't need to.

Re: Re:

StryderHells said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Anyone suspect any big names to be outed? Heras, Contador, Schleck, Beloki and Botero are the only ones who would appear to have some worry over them. The likes of Valverde and Basso already got done.

I might be wrong but I think Contador was linked but never to any of the blood bags

You're right now that I recall. Wasn't Contador's initials "AC" just on a scrap of paper or something? Still, I bet he'll still be worried if there is any merit to it.

sniper said:
SeriousSam said:
Remember, football isn't an endurance sport so there's no need to check for blood doping.
fair point.
you either have technique or you don't.

It's a genius disguise. However upon looking at the likes of Atletico and Leicester in recent years and Barcelona of a few years back, it shows high endurance can have amazing benefits. Of course these teams have had players of immense talent, but Leicester and Atletico in particular, some of their players have had Froome like improvements in recent times.

StryderHells said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Anyone suspect any big names to be outed? Heras, Contador, Schleck, Beloki and Botero are the only ones who would appear to have some worry over them. The likes of Valverde and Basso already got done.

I might be wrong but I think Contador was linked but never to any of the blood bags
It's a bit unclear but from what I've gathered his name and initials were only on some papers.
Basso only "intended" to dope so if he gets matched that would be a blow

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Pantani Attacks said:
sniper said:
SeriousSam said:
Remember, football isn't an endurance sport so there's no need to check for blood doping.
fair point.
you either have technique or you don't.

It's a genius disguise. However upon looking at the likes of Atletico and Leicester in recent years and Barcelona of a few years back, it shows high endurance can have amazing benefits. Of course these teams have had players of immense talent, but Leicester and Atletico in particular, some of their players have had Froome like improvements in recent times.
yep, very much so.
(and I hope the sarcasm in my previous post was clear)
This is something everybody who plays the game him/herself knows: the fitter you are, the better you play, very much also from a technical pov.
I would even argue that many of us, if they could manage to become as fit as a proplayer, could actually *be* a proplayer.
The technique would be the easiest part to make up for.
I've seen so many technically limited players become pro over the years.
Marc Overmars is a good example. No technique, but extremely quick.
There are many many other examples, too.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Pantani Attacks said:

classicomanoluigi?

who is lugi?

spartacus cancellara?
bettini?

bartoli?
frank schleck?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
THIS.

in helmut rooles terms

This. this. $h!t just just real. roole. real. spinning truthiness [sic]

HelmutRoole said:
You have to stratify the media. You can’t expect a top strata news organization like the New York Times – and it is print journalists who mostly do this work – to give a rat’s *** about someone like, for example, a Tom Danielson. Armstrong: clearly a different beast in terms of coverage since he has celebrity outside of cycling.

(Sidebar: In defense of the media reference Armstrong, you have to balance that coverage in perspective with 9-11, Afghanistan and the Iraq rematch, all going down during this timeframe. Comparatively, an Armstrong doping piece is uninteresting, unimportant and not even on an editor’s radar. Although, there was SI. They probably should’ve looked at it a little closer. )

For something like the Danielson story, that work has to be done by Velonews, Cyclingnews, Pez... In other words, a news organization on the lower rungs of the media strata that cover that specific sport, this case cycling. Problem with this is, those reporters are cozy with the athletes. This is true with sports reporting in general. It’s like that everywhere, every sport. The only way around it is to have a dedicated doping reporter on staff who doesn’t interact with the athletes in any other way. I’ll bet that any reporter covering cycling in North American has at some point sat down for a beer with an athlete whom they were reporting on or had reported on. I’ve done it myself. It probably happens everywhere.

Look, I’m a fan of professional cycling not despite the doping but in large part because of it. The doping makes it real. Not the performances. The performances are unreal. But when an athlete gets caught up in an investigation or pisses hot, that’s when things get real. That’s when all parties involved go into crisis mode, spinning truthiness, marginal gains, special diets and high cadence. People’s livelihoods and reputations hang in the balance. Millions of dollars at stake. And it’s all based on a lie.

High drama. You can’t make this stuff up.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Pantani Attacks said:

Valverde swore it was not his blood.......went to CAS over it.

I guess Piti and Basso wont be happy that the fans are reminded they are cheaters. Remember Basso claimed he planned to do it but never did!

Scarponi will probably just smile and say little.

I would love if Paola Bettini's name came out :)

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Re:

lenric said:
They could hand them to current teams. They would be quite helpful to get some riders into form. I'm thinking of Aru, for example.
Imagine the prices it would fetch on the black market. "Vintage Nectar of the Gods"

Lyon said:
lenric said:
They could hand them to current teams. They would be quite helpful to get some riders into form. I'm thinking of Aru, for example.
Imagine the prices it would fetch on the black market. "Vintage Nectar of the Gods"

Ebay sale: “500ml of vintage Ullrich Blood fully preserved in Siberian fridge spun with EPO and thinning agents”.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:
https://twitter.com/Noaldopaje/status/742691004357181440
You gotta admit Fuentes was a real moron when choosing nicknames sometimes.

What a surprise it was to find out "Sevillano" was Óscar Sevilla.

TRENDING THREADS