• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Puerto bags to be handed over

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

thehog said:
Blood stored in WADA labs cannot be used for such an exercise, it is marked by code only and once tested cannot be tested again (I'm willing to be corrected on this point, as my understanding once blood is tested it is contaminated).
one assumes they could separate the sample for multiple tests tho.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ClassicomanoLuigi said:
If the definitive proof comes out, Cancellara is either disgraced or exonerated. I lean towards the latter possibility, with the expectation that neither 'clasicomano' or 'clasicomano Luigi' are Cancellara's blood. But who knows...

how so? how do we make this case?

if we can chiefly reconcile Spartacus as either disgraced or exonerated on this one turn of the hat, that rabbit hole we went down, just got a whole lot deeper. If in my reckoning, the front half of the peloton, tous dope, tout dope, then Spartacus cannot be innocent with his imperious palmares. I also dont think you make the professional peloton if you do not take the dip, but I think some professionals can resign themselves to a career as a domestique and not a winner, and then proceed not taking any pharmacy enhancement, or pharmaceutical enhancement.

I do not care that we cannot prove if any rider, say Froome or Spartacus or Roglic have used a motor, because the story is just so titillating. its better than Yellow Rose. But if Spartacus can just absolve his entire career never having taken a plunge of the hypodermic, "I'll go he"

#falsedichotomy is false... thats not a double negative, its a tautological pleonasm[sic] for rhetorical flourish and purpose

Who from Puerto days is scheduled for the Olympics? The retroactive testing narrative seems to be in vogue and there is a big opportunity to make a sacrificial offering to the sports Gods. The blood dripping down would satisfy the last of the fans, and could then be re injected into the Anglo heroes in a patriotic frenzy.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
Statute of limitations makes sense.

Yes, and no. You only have to provide a conspiracy to remove that obstacle.

A conspiracy, or conspiring could be as simple as signing a declaration in 2007 that you were no part of Puerto. But now being found out to be part of it.

Vinokourov appealed and won at CAS where he would have had to repay money because of that declaration. It doesn't necessarily follow that the signed declaration you didn't dope re Puerto would be treated the same.

Night Rider said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Statute of limitations makes sense.

Yes, and no. You only have to provide a conspiracy to remove that obstacle.

A conspiracy, or conspiring could be as simple as signing a declaration in 2007 that you were no part of Puerto. But now being found out to be part of it.

Vinokourov appealed and won at CAS where he would have had to repay money because of that declaration. It doesn't necessarily follow that the signed declaration you didn't dope re Puerto would be treated the same.

I don't think it really matters. If the UCI or WADA announce they are opening an investigation into rider x then they are as good as gone by reputation alone.

In saying that, the UCI and WADA don't say much these days or release when they have a AAF so we may never know and it all gets dealt with 'Menchov' style

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Gung Ho Gun said:
Pantani Attacks said:
So first "his mother tongue is german", now he grew up speaking it? Which one is it, because they're not the same. And the latter makes your argument redundant.
According to the Trek Segafredo blog and an interview with the president of his Flemish fan club, his mother is German-speaking Swiss. So German is quite literally his mother tongue. And he grew up speaking it.

Cancellara was raised bilingual, his Italian is flawless. He once said that by growing older he feels less and less Italian (what he actually meant was that he became calmer as he settled with his family/ Italian males have the reputation of being flamboyant after all). Doesn't change the fact that he grew up as an Italian Swiss.

thehog said:
I don't think it really matters. If the UCI or WADA announce they are opening an investigation into rider x then they are as good as gone by reputation alone.

In saying that, the UCI and WADA don't say much these days or release when they have a AAF so we may never know and it all gets dealt with 'Menchov' style

My prediction as well. The public response will be unsatisfactory.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
So ten years after the fact we find out who didn't stop doping in 2006....

I wouldn't be surprise to see Cancellara get outed by this, not sure what it really changes....does the reputation really get tarnished, he can use the line that everyone else has I stopped it in 2006 only did it once, blah blah blah blah....

Good news! :lol:

Frank Schleck will get €2 million in damages from Leopard AG after the team fired him in 2013, according to the Swiss website NZZ.ch. The payment will go to Schleck and his company Winfrank GmBH after the Swiss Federal court held up a previous decision from CAS.

The issue stems from the 2013 season when Schleck was sacked by the RadioShack-Leopard team after a doping suspension following a positive test for the diuretic Xipamide. Schleck produced the for the banned substance at the 2012 Tour de France and was handed down a retrospective 12-month ban in January the next year.

Despite his suspension, Schleck had continued to train with the squad and he had been due to return to racing just days after the team announced his sacking. Schleck was in the middle of a four-year contract with the RadioShack-Leopard team that was set to run from 2011 to 2014. Part of Schleck’s contract with the squad was an agreement that they would market his image rights. The court ruled that as the team had waited until June 2013 to fire Schleck they owed him and his company the two million

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/frank-schleck-to-get-two-million-in-damages-from-leopard-ag-news-shorts/

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
leopard. shoulda called the team inverted cheetah. then they woulda kicked some peloton @r$e as everyone knows the words jv enunciated ring true... the cool guys dont dope anymore. and no one is cooler than froome dawg

sniper said:
GJB123 said:
In his column in a Dutch newspaper Thijs Zonneveld seems pretty certain that Classicomano Luigi refers to Thomas Dekker (with Luigi being a reference to Dekker's trainer Luigi Cecchini)
Cecchini was also Fabian's trainer, at least in 2006.

If Thijs has this info first hand from Thomas, I'm convinced of course.

As it now appears, Thijs did have this info first hand from Thomas Dekker.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

GJB123 said:
sniper said:
GJB123 said:
In his column in a Dutch newspaper Thijs Zonneveld seems pretty certain that Classicomano Luigi refers to Thomas Dekker (with Luigi being a reference to Dekker's trainer Luigi Cecchini)

Indeed.

Some less likely conspiracies aside (e.g. Cance paying Dekker to say this), it seems the Hamilton anecdote about Luigi put us (or at least me and some others) on the wrong foot.

Would be good to hear from Hamilton whom he was referring to.
Is he on twitter?

sniper said:
GJB123 said:
sniper said:
GJB123 said:

Indeed.

Some less likely conspiracies aside (e.g. Cance paying Dekker to say this), it seems the Hamilton anecdote about Luigi put us (or at least me and some others) on the wrong foot.

Is he on twitter?
https://twitter.com/Ty_Hamilton

sniper said:
GJB123 said:
sniper said:
GJB123 said:

Indeed.

Is he on twitter?

It also confused me, rest assured. Until Thijs Zonneveld made his statement (apparently form the horse's mouth), I like you assumed it had to be Cancellara (also stemming from Hamilton's story).

Hamilton was undoubtedly referring to Cancellara, who apparently was believed to be "Clasicómano Luigi" in certain circles. It is still an absurd nickname for Dekker (very much not a classics rider), and I always assumed it had been misreported or that there was some confusion down the line that would explain everything. IIRC there was also some confusion about whether or not "Clasicómano" and "Clasicómano Luigi" were separate codenames. Honestly, it's a mess. Since it comes from Dekker himself, it has to be considered credible, but it's still weird.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Thijs Zonneveld on twitter is breaking that 35 Puerto bags have been identified by the Lausanne lab.
It allegedly concerns 23 cyclists and 12 t&f athletes.
So again no soccer or tennis players.

Names to be made public soon. But I'm not sure if it concerns 'new' names.

edit: Thijs expects only a handful of new names.

TRENDING THREADS