• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

QS 2018

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

therealthing said:
F_Cance said:
maybe time to up this thread again. Not because of Jungels win, but bc of the general performance.
Getting ridiculous now. Tirenno just now- their leadout train were riding like they were sprinting for a road sign on a club ride and completely swamped everyone else.

FWIW Richeze opened the gap and Ala just held on or even lost ground after that point. Still pretty nutso and since when is Richeze able to gap out the world's best in GVA and PS?

De Kleedkamer on Canvas is a great program, but also a total joke. How can you discuss VdB, Mapei, Gent-Wevelgem '98 and not mention EPO at all. They discussed doping with Rolf Sorensen in his segment, but Van der Gucht didn't dare to question Lefevere and Fitte. Total shame.

proffate said:
Der Effe said:
Gilbert found the good stuff again.

Guy is unbelievable :lol:
honestly I thought Lampaert and Pollitt were slightly stronger than Gilbert, maybe even Sagan too. PG benefited from team tactics and being a protected rider. Clearly one of the best on the day but not exactly an alien performance.

Lampaert has been really strong all Spring.

The craziest stuff I recall was seeing Stybar and Gilbert increasingly desperately trying to rein in the breaks at Ghent-Wevelgem in order to keep Viviani in the frame. Those were some crazy serious efforts.

Jacques (7 ch) said:
proffate said:
Der Effe said:

honestly I thought Lampaert and Pollitt were slightly stronger than Gilbert, maybe even Sagan too. PG benefited from team tactics and being a protected rider. Clearly one of the best on the day but not exactly an alien performance.

Lampaert has been really strong all Spring.

The craziest stuff I recall was seeing Stybar and Gilbert increasingly desperately trying to rein in the breaks at Ghent-Wevelgem in order to keep Viviani in the frame. Those were some crazy serious efforts.

Yeah, especially Stybar looked dead at least 3 times and came back for another pull. But then the inevitable failure of a Viviani-sprint after a hard race. Happened twice in GW and twice in San Remo. Dude is just not made for long/hard ridden classics. Pretty good sprinter for Grand Tour stages but his stamina is obviously limited.

proffate said:
Der Effe said:

Gilbert dropped Politt and also caught him without any problems, and you 'honestly' thought that Politt was slightly stronger? Gaslighting much?

roundabout said:
proffate said:
Der Effe said:

Gilbert dropped Politt and also caught him without any problems, and you 'honestly' thought that Politt was slightly stronger? Gaslighting much?
It seems you lack the decency to assume good faith, as well as the grasp of English to use fancy words like "gaslighting" or "dropped".

Bardamu said:
De Kleedkamer on Canvas is a great program, but also a total joke. How can you discuss VdB, Mapei, Gent-Wevelgem '98 and not mention EPO at all. They discussed doping with Rolf Sorensen in his segment, but Van der Gucht didn't dare to question Lefevere and Fitte. Total shame.

I agree, poor journalism.

When Dumoulin criticized the press for not asking questions about the Aderlass operation during the Tireno-Adriatico (I think), Belgian cycling journalist Michel Wuyts said he regretted not being at the conference because "he would have asked that question". Well, no. It is known that he has made a deal with former sports director and commenter José De Cauwer not to touch the subject, or only in very vague terms, and all other Belgian reporters do exactly the same. This is how Lefevre always stays on top. He's a fraud, but make no mistake: his teams are not successful due to doping, although they do dope. In a typical Belgian fashion they will only do what it takes, without exaggerating and perhaps more professionally (e.g. doctor Ivan Van Mol stressed internal controls to keep the hematocrit in check in the early days of EPO, when it wasn't even tested), and therefore riders and perhaps don't really consider the team to be the forerunner of doping in cycling. There are amateur teams to do that for them (at least I know of one case from the 1980s), with even a certain death count.

This is so ridiculous. Senechal was an average domestique when they signed him, Asgreen an absolute nobody. Then this guy is going solo for 40km giving everything and still fresh enough to attack again for the win? Team didn't start as strong as expected last month, but now they definitely upped their game again.

I don't like QS, but that's a bit harsh.

Senechal was a pretty decent up-and-coming classics rider and Asgreen was a good roleur.

I mean you make a fair point that the team is ridiculous as a whole, but with such characterizations you also give a chance for people to jump on them and steer the conversation away.

This is so ridiculous. Senechal was an average domestique when they signed him, Asgreen an absolute nobody. Then this guy is going solo for 40km giving everything and still fresh enough to attack again for the win? Team didn't start as strong as expected last month, but now they definitely upped their game again.
They signed Asgreen when he was 21, and he had already proven that he was good TT'er among some other things.
They signed Sénéchal when he was 23, and he already had some decent results in the classics before that.
If a rider is dominant at a young age, you're suspicious of them. If a rider gets better when they get a bit older, you're suspicious. Stop being ridiculous.

TRENDING THREADS