• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

QS 2018

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No, not everyone "knows" about Cipollini doping. Most people (random folks who might just watch the Tour & nothing else) know Armstrong doped, know Pantani doped, know Ullrich doped, know their climbing times are "suspect". But sprinters from their era (Zabel etc.) or classics guys (Dekker etc.)? No.

The only non-GC rider who gained doping notoriety shortly afterwards was Cancellara with the widespread suspicions of motor doping & his suspect bike swaps in Paris-Roubaix.

Exactly. DQS are everywhere, winning trillions of stages, classics, criteriums etc. but on Grand Tours, they win punch stages & sprint stages whilst the GC guys earn the suspicions of the public.

Sadly, the myth in public perception endures whereby it's the GC mountain climbing/TT winning Tour winners who do the doping. So Cav, Alaphilippe & co are safe, for now.

I think people in Germany who know a few cyclists know that Zabel doped and he has pretty much vanished from the public, apart from being Rick Zabel's father.

About Cavendish: The story is great, but as unbelievable as it gets.

Reactions: Koronin
It really shocks me to see how many people on CN just blindingly believe in this. I've seen the words 'miracle' and 'unbelievable' far too much today.

The guy couldnt contest sprints at Tour de Wallonie or Tour of Luxembourg 9 months ago. now he is fast as ever.

But because he shows emotion when finishing it is all ok squeaky clean.

I don't really have a problem with all this stuff going on in cycling but i like to see relatively 'normal' stuff and suspending my disbelief. But what changes in 9 months that makes you that much better at 36?

I'm struggling to keep any sort of open mind about Cavendish today and trying not to feel bad about it as I've always given him the benefit of the doubt despite his performances. Although health issues may have accelerated his decline in recent years he should in no way be reaching this sort of level on his return and it smacks of an ageing athlete picking a roll of the dice rather than a quiet disappearance into obscurity which we see constantly in sport.

His positioning was excellent but as soon as he had to check his sprint it should have been over for anyone other than the most dominant sprinter at the height of their physical abilities. I'd argue that no 36 year old man should be winning a sprint contest at the peak of their sport unless we are to believe in known frauds like Justin Gatlin and Linford Christie. A lot of decent sprinters were beaten and the only thing I'm clinging to is the disorganised nature of the sprint and lack of lead outs meaning many completely botched their sprint. If he gets another win any benefit of the doubt will be out of the window.

Reactions: Koronin
It really shocks me to see how many people on CN just blindingly believe in this. I've seen the words 'miracle' and 'unbelievable' far too much today.

The guy couldnt contest sprints at Tour de Wallonie or Tour of Luxembourg 9 months ago. now he is fast as ever.

I don't really have a problem with all this stuff going on in cycling but i like to see relatively 'normal' stuff and suspending my disbelief. But what changes in 9 months that makes you that much better at 36?
He stopped having as much dairy!

I used to be on an endless run
Believed in miracles 'cuz I'm one
I've been blessed with the power to survive
After all these years I'm still alive
I'm out here kickin' with the band
I am no longer a solitary man
Everyday my time runs out
Live like a fool, that's what I was about

Oh I believe in miracles
Oh I believe in a better world, for me and you
Oh oh I believe in miracles
Oh oh I believe in a better world, for me and you

• Love
Reactions: Eclipse
Only thing I have to say: any sprinter or classic guy not signing for DQS is an idiot. The new level they bring you on beats every short term salary gain you could have made somewhere else by far. After that there is still plenty of time to cash in on your legacy built at DQS ala Vivianni.

I'm struggling to keep any sort of open mind about Cavendish today and trying not to feel bad about it as I've always given him the benefit of the doubt despite his performances. Although health issues may have accelerated his decline in recent years he should in no way be reaching this sort of level on his return and it smacks of an ageing athlete picking a roll of the dice rather than a quiet disappearance into obscurity which we see constantly in sport.

His positioning was excellent but as soon as he had to check his sprint it should have been over for anyone other than the most dominant sprinter at the height of their physical abilities. I'd argue that no 36 year old man should be winning a sprint contest at the peak of their sport unless we are to believe in known frauds like Justin Gatlin and Linford Christie. A lot of decent sprinters were beaten and the only thing I'm clinging to is the disorganised nature of the sprint and lack of lead outs meaning many completely botched their sprint. If he gets another win any benefit of the doubt will be out of the window.
Petacchi won 2 stages and Green at 36 for reference.

Amen. I agree 100%. I want to know who out of these team DQS doctors

Yvan Vanmol
Jose Taus
Toon Cruyt
Joris Van Roy
Philip Jansen

is offering the best "NEW" program for Cav ? For example, " at a team doctors meeting, one of them will say hey the new blank tested seems to be working for Cav. So we are going to need to budget for more doses. " Then what happens , the other doctors say " I concur" and simply follow along with the Omerta ?

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
Amen. I agree 100%. I want to know who out of these team DQS doctors

Yvan Vanmol
Jose Taus
Toon Cruyt
Joris Van Roy
Philip Jansen

is offering the best "NEW" program for Cav ? For example, " at a team doctors meeting, one of them will say hey the new blank tested seems to be working for Cav. So we are going to need to budget for more doses. " Then what happens , the other doctors say " I concur" and simply follow along with the Omerta ?
Cav's just on the MvdP training program

TRENDING THREADS