• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Qui Tam, Baby

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
One does not simply walk into San Francisco to throw Weisel under the bus. Weisel's gates are guarded by more than just lawyers. There is evil there that does not sleep. The great liar is ever watchful. The road there is riddled with syringes. Their very blood is a poisonous mix of drugs and ambition.

Not with ten thousand witnesses could you do this. It is folly.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
One does not simply walk into San Francisco to throw Weisel under the bus. Weisel's gates are guarded by more than just lawyers. There is evil there that does not sleep. The great liar is ever watchful. The road there is riddled with syringes. Their very blood is a poisonous mix of drugs and ambition.

Not with ten thousand witnesses could you do this. It is folly.
^would be a great celebrity metaphorical boxing.

no queensberry rules.

no handbags at ten paces. this aint bobby julich v blijlevens mk II. this is psychopaths with knuckle dusters, first rule of fight club, pull your six shooter first.

if weisel thinks armstrong has his hand in holster, he will take a shot first.

Velodude said:
South Australian government is on the band wagon. Asking for their TDU money back.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/sa-to-ask-armstrong-for-its-money-back-20130115-2cr24.html

What a stunt.

They are going to ask him nicely if he will return the cash, he should tell them to **** off.

The SA Government could have read all the evidence available in 2008 when they signed him up the first time. At his final appearance in 2011, post-Landis they still hadn't changed their position. Even as the USADA case was closing in they were still there denying there was anything wrong in their dealings with Lance. Not just that, but they provided a platform to help Lance actively deny doping allegations and fed everyone in the entire state the Armstrong/Livestrong PR campaign.

They have a long way to go before they can point the finger at Lance. How about they start by releasing details of their arrangements and apologising to the public.

mountainrman

BANNED
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
ValleyFlowers said:
U.S. government rejects Armstrong's $5 million offer in whisteblower case

Rejects both his $5 mill settlement offer and his offer to join the suit and cooperate as a witness.

The original CBS news article is better - I posted a link some while ago on another thread.

The same CBS Pelley interview contains Tyler saying that UCI are the "dirtiest people in the sport" and answers the question "would there be a Lance armstrong without doping"

As far as I am aware DoJ only has one more day to join the suit which could be why Oprah is showing late that day.

It would be a travesty if this made Landis a rich man..

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
mountainrman said:
The original CBS news article is better - I posted a link some while ago on another thread.

The same CBS Pelley interview contains Tyler saying that UCI are the "dirtiest people in the sport" and answers the question "would there be a Lance armstrong without doping"

As far as I am aware DoJ only has one more day to join the suit which could be why Oprah is showing late that day.

It would be a travesty if this made Landis a rich man..

The bold-bit above are you sure about that?

Why the travesty? Landis suffered along with Hamilton through some very rough times and paid a price for doping. Everyone has to pay up and face the "music" eventually.

Why can't Landis reap the benefit for what he started with his email's?

mountainrman

BANNED
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
The bold-bit above are you sure about that?

Why the travesty? Landis suffered along with Hamilton through some very rough times and paid a price for doping. Everyone has to pay up and face the "music" eventually.

Why can't Landis reap the benefit for what he started with his email's?

It is in all the media.

Take a look at this
"DOJ has until thursday"

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-team/lance-legal-fate-rests-ag-holder-hands-article-1.1240710

I am sure that factored in the decision on when to confess, but maybe he should have left it a week.. What happens if they convince a judge to emergency subpoena the tapes - prior to the deadline: it may help them decide.

Giving Landis a mil is maybe not such a problem to buy his way out of jail..I am guessing most of the people who backed the "fairness fund" are p*ssed about him lying to them, but for all that would not want to see him in jail. Giving him $10M for cheating, lying for 4 years almost bankrupting USADA on the way, and being part of the same conspiracy as Lance, as well as defrauding his next sponsors in just the same way (who also no doubt had a no doping clause). and all for ratting on someone else, considering all that he did was self serving. No way did he do this to "help the USA" - and he does not deserve to become rich because of it.

DoJ can launch their own action against Armstrong if minded, and I think they may do that instead.

In the end I wonder if any of it is justified. USPS bought promotion. They got far more for their money than they could have ever dreamed off - far more than if lance had come in 20th riding pain agua against doped competition.
So it may end up winning at law. Not at all convinced it would be just.
If it had all blown up at the time, maybe they would have had a just case to cite damage done to the brand by the doping. At the time there was none - the brand promotion was beyond their wildest dreams.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
jackwolf said:
"We'd be more than happy for Mr Armstrong to make any repayment of monies to us."

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Yes, and I'd be more than happy if Scarlett Johansson gave me a back rub. What a bunch of morons.

Like Daryl Kerrigan says "tell him he's dreaming"..

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
mountainrman said:
It is in all the media.

Take a look at this
"DOJ has until thursday"

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-team/lance-legal-fate-rests-ag-holder-hands-article-1.1240710

I am sure that factored in the decision on when to confess, but maybe he should have left it a week.. What happens if they convince a judge to emergency subpoena the tapes - prior to the deadline: it may help them decide.

Giving Landis a mil is maybe not such a problem to buy his way out of jail.. Giving him $10M for cheating, lying for 4 years almost bankrupting USADA on the way, and being part of the same conspiracy as Lance, as well as defrauding his next sponsors in just the same way (who also no doubt had a no doping clause). and all for ratting on someone else, considering all that he did was self serving. No way did he do this to "help the USA""!

DoJ can launch their own action against Armstrong if minded, and I think they may do that instead.

In the end I wonder if any of it is justified. USPS bought promotion. They got far more for their money than they could have ever dreamed off - far more than if lance had come in 20th riding pain agua against doped competition.
So it may end up winning at law. Not at all convinced it would be just.
If it had all blown up at the time, maybe they would have had a just case to cite damage done to the brand by the doping. At the time there was none - the brand promotion was beyond their wildest dreams.

Any promotion USPS received vis-a-vis cycling is now and forever associated with cheating.

Landis winding up with Armstrong's money will be poetic justice and the best possible outcome. The only way it could possibly be any better is if Betsy, Emma, Greg, Iban, Gilberto, Christophe, Mike and anybody else Lance ever tried to ruin wind up with a bunch of his money too.

mountainrman

BANNED
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Landis winding up with Armstrong's money will be poetic justice and the best possible outcome. .

Poetic it may be. Just and equitable it is not. Landis does not deserve the wealth either. He almost bankrupted USADA on the way.

As I said previous - I think DoJ may launch their own action instead of joining his, so it may not arise.

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
While I like Landis as a lot as a person it seems to me that the justification for his lawsuit was revenge rather than a desire for the government to get their money back. I would therefore have huge respect for him if (should the lawsuit be successful) he kept enough money to pay off his debts / live on for a while, but put a substantial amount towards something that would help encourage clean cycling in the future (whatever that may be).

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
mountainrman said:
Poetic it may be. Just and equitable it is not. Landis does not deserve the wealth either. He almost bankrupted USADA on the way.

As I said previous - I think DoJ may launch their own action instead of joining his, so it may not arise.

Without Floyd blowing the whistle LA is still out raping and pillaging. Floyd deserves much.

Think of what's changed since Floyd exposed Lance.

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
This is kind of fun. How little time will Lance serve? Landis had years of suspension. Tyler too. Lance has had, um, two months and can't take it? So far has paid no one that he took money from? Um, ok. Poor Lance.