• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Quick release for track wheelset?

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I just bought a Willier Pista Rosso single speed which has a Miche Xpress TS wheelset. Nice bike and great value for the money, but I miss the quick releases I had on my old race bike. Especially since I have had a puncture almost every single morning cycling to work (have already ordered a set of decent Conti tires).
Does anyone know if it is possible to use quick release skewers with fixed wheels (esp. Miche Xpress TS), and is it safe when having horizontal dropouts on the bike?

I'm know to be technically challenged when it comes to fixing bikes, so any expert advice would be appreciated :)

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
You can convert those hubs to a QR axle, you'd need a shop to do it for you. I'm assuming this bike will never see a track race, so converting to QR is fine. The only problem I see is that QR levers are like a flag to bike thieves unless you can lock up both wheels with the frame, or you can bring your bike into work. If you're getting that many punctures, you either have really bad luck, or you need to learn how to mount tires properly.

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Never use a QR on the rear wheel of a fixie - you will not get it tight enough and the force on the skewer will be too great.

there is something seriously wrong if you are getting daily punctures. check your tyres for dirt inside, change the tubes for clean new ones, make sure they are seated properly, check the tyres for glass fragments etc regularly, keep them pumped up to 100-110 psi and avoid potholes.

Timeless said:
Never use a QR on the rear wheel of a fixie - you will not get it tight enough and the force on the skewer will be too great.

there is something seriously wrong if you are getting daily punctures. check your tyres for dirt inside, change the tubes for clean new ones, make sure they are seated properly, check the tyres for glass fragments etc regularly, keep them pumped up to 100-110 psi and avoid potholes.

Sorry, don't get this. Once upon a time all bike frames had horizontal dropouts and rear wheels with skewers and they didn't slip forward when riding, sprinting, etc. and it didn't kill the QR.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Get yourself some Surly Tugnut's (or an equivalent from another brand). They make centering the wheel between the seatstays easy and they should prevent the the wheel from sliding forward.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
Sorry, don't get this. Once upon a time all bike frames had horizontal dropouts and rear wheels with skewers and they didn't slip forward when riding, sprinting, etc. and it didn't kill the QR.

Actually, they did. The QR remained due to the introduction of semi-horizontal and vertical dropouts. If you over-torque the QR on a rear derailleur equipped bike with horizontal d/o's, the derailleur takes up the additional slack rather than unseating the chain on a fixie and causing an unplanned body/road interaction!

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
...If you're getting that many punctures, you either have really bad luck, or you need to learn how to mount tires properly.

Tires are mounted OK. I think it's more a quality issue - this has got to be the worst set of tires I've ever ridden. New Conti tires should be in the mail today.

Magnus said:
You should also consider how to mount the backwheel properly with QR.

Yes, I was thinking that might be a challenge with QR skewers?

Timeless said:

Tires were checked after each puncture and pumped as well.

brianf7 said:
Just get some hollow axels and change them over if you can get them.
I hope you are not useing ultra light Track tyres on the road

No, just a cheap set of road tires. I guess sometimes it does pay off to spend a little extra...

Thanks for all the input! I think I'll try to see if not a set of new tires will help avoid most of the punctures I've been having the past week and remember to pack a 15 mm wrench should I hit a streak of bad luck again...