• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Quinn Simmons is the new Quinn Simmons

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Interesting to note though, that there are 8 (or perhaps 9) U.S. riders on the start list for the Giro this coming weekend, which must be close to one of the largest contingents ever in a GT. Though most are not up-and-coming riders you’re speaking about.

That does sound like a high number. I suspect you're correct about it being one of the larger contingents. Interesting.

I am really confused. Is this all over the tweet saying 'bye', or am i missing something? If something like that results in ban from competition and is potentially threatening for a career then it will put a solid wall in between cyclists and everyone else. They will be afraid to interact with people for a fear of having careers threatened over something such simple. Also, will be curious what happens in the future since Simmonds imho has/had a valid reason to sue Trek over this if penalty was indeed enforced. Hopefully this will all just blow over and we can watch him compete, be able to separate the sport from everything else going on

I think this was at least strike 3 for Quinn. He also was involved in a bit of a public embarrassment related to Cory Williams, from what I read in since deleted posts. I don't know details, can't find them here now, and a quick Google search revealed nothing, but it appears he has a habit of prioritizing self-expression against the interests of his sponsor, and I imagine there have been prior conversations related to this.

Cory Williams was complaining that he didn't make the national team, and blamed it on racism.
Quin DM'ed him "Maybe you just aren't fast enough. It's not [the team directors'] fault"

Cory displayed their DM publicly.

Quin apologized and said he was defending [the team director] who's name I forget.

Reactions: Fuente De
I am really confused. Is this all over the tweet saying 'bye', or am i missing something? If something like that results in ban from competition and is potentially threatening for a career then it will put a solid wall in between cyclists and everyone else. They will be afraid to interact with people for a fear of having careers threatened over something such simple. Also, will be curious what happens in the future since Simmonds imho has/had a valid reason to sue Trek over this if penalty was indeed enforced. Hopefully this will all just blow over and we can watch him compete, be able to separate the sport from everything else going on
i don’t know for sure, but my guess is you don’t understand private employer-employee relationships in the U.S.? We cant see his contract but I’m guessing it was pretty explicit that Simmons was obligated to avoid acting or speaking in a way deemed detrimental to the team or the sponsor. And he was not fired, he was/is suspended, and the language in the last tweet from Trek was quite consistent with how corporations act in these situations. They have set limits, and will now
“Work” with the employee to improve his standing. They haven’t let him off the hook: they say they believe he has a bright future IF HE USES tHIS opportunity to grow as as person and contribute to a better future for cycling. There may be serious doubts about whether he can do either of those things. And regardless, that is exactly the language a company uses if they want to clear the way to fire him in the future.

Most pro sports teams in the US have something in their contract which allows them to fire an athlete for any conduct deemed to be detrimental to the team or the league. I think it's standard in all NBA and NFL contracts to have something in contracts that allow for firing anyone for conduct detrimental to the league as both leagues are very protective over image. I'd be shocked if the US licensed pro cycling teams don't have something along those lines in their contracts as well. What I've seen from Trek is very in line with how US corporations and sports teams handle these situations.

Reactions: jmdirt and Sciatic
Given that he is only 19, I'm glad that he has been given some extra rope by the team and they have set some boundaries. To me, a lot of his social media comes off as more immature than malicious. That is why I made the comparison to Bauer (who never grew out of it). Also, a number of athletes have had some social media skeletons un-earthed over the past few years from when they were younger.

Uci contracts hold a statement a team has to have a rider ride within a certain period*. I think six weeks. If no good reason (injuries, no races) it is a contract breach from the team. So we see soon enough if he is still in the team.
* there was a team not having their rider race because he didn't want to renegotiate his contract. The period past and ended with the rider leaving and the team had to pay for the remaining time of the contract.

Uci contracts hold a statement a team has to have a rider ride within a certain period*. I think six weeks. If no good reason (injuries, no races) it is a contract breach from the team. So we see soon enough if he is still in the team.
* there was a team not having their rider race because he didn't want to renegotiate his contract. The period past and ended with the rider leaving and the team had to pay for the remaining time of the contract.

That may not be the case. Movistar didn't allow Carapaz or Amador to race after the Tour due to issues with their agent last year and they were still under contract with Movistar until their contracts ended. In the case of Amador there was more to it as Movistar didn't release him until the out fee was paid for the new contract he had signed. Yes they got their money before Ineos could officially sign him.

Remember that Trek is the same organization that threw LeMond under the bus when it was fiscally useful. It's all about the money.

It's certainly partly true for Trek more than, say, a team that sells plastics and chemicals or a national lottery system. If you are selling a consumer product you don't want potential buyers to associated it with anything negative or controversial. Other than that I think Trek and others are sincere in trying to be inclusive. After all, more bike riders/buyers, better for everyone and the environment.

I think the team handled this in a ham-fisted way, though, and I agree also that an older, wiser athlete might not have engaged in a Twitter slap fight. Although you see plenty of pro athletes of any age do silly thing.s

I really do hope that both Simmons and Trek learn from this, and that he can be back racing soon and off Twitter.

TRENDING THREADS