• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Quinn Simmons is the new Quinn Simmons

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Talented young kid doesn’t understand employment and how it works.
Happens in a lot of sports with young wonder kids.
Provided for, pampered and treated special due to talent, in my opinion.

No concept when you are so successful as a teenager and your focused on a sport and outside of reality.

To conclude , should keep quiet and keep his job and then become a diva after he wins.
Then employers and public become more tolerable to statements.

On the Simmonds thing. He's 19. Most people of that age inherit the political opinions of their parents and those around him. He's from district 3 in Colorado who elected Lauren Boebert, probably the second* most crazy person in Congress. What hope did he have?

Give him room to learn and improve. If you demonise him you will just push him towards those you oppose Discourse these days seems to be more about people showing people which side they are on and causing division rather than bringing those who err over to their side.

*To save you asking - Majorie Taylor Greene

Last edited:
Keep in mind that at 19 you're still basically a kid and very much (still) a product of your upbringing (unfortunately so, in many cases). I also don't know which education Quinn got, but i'm sure turning away from higher education, didn't help in this case. A smarter guy would know when to shut up, but then again, the same has been said of others. I also don't know if Quinn is actually considered (by people close to him) to be bright or not, and we should keep the possibility in mind that he isn't that bright. So age, limited education and possibly not the brightest, in combination with being a public figure and going on social media, is in many cases a disaster waiting to happen. And this is all regardless of whether he is or isn't a racist or a jerk.

I'm not a fan of trial by (social) media, but i see there is already a huge backlash on twitter. You'd expect his immediate entourage to keep closer tabs on him, but for all we know, they might even have enabled him.

Reactions: Koronin
Keep in mind that at 19 you're still basically a kid and very much (still) a product of your upbringing (unfortunately so, in many cases). I also don't know which education Quinn got, but i'm sure turning away from higher education, didn't help in this case. A smarter guy would know when to shut up, but then again, the same has been said of others. I also don't know if Quinn is actually considered (by people close to him) to be bright or not, and we should keep the possibility in mind that he isn't that bright. So age, limited education and possibly not the brightest, in combination with being a public figure and going on social media, is in many cases a disaster waiting to happen. And this is all regardless of whether he is or isn't a racist or a jerk.

I'm not a fan of trial by (social) media, but i see there is already a huge backlash on twitter. You'd expect his immediate entourage to keep closer tabs on him, but for all we know, they might even have enabled him.

I think this is broadly correct. As much as I find athletes giving cliche and clearly media trained responses in interviews frustrating at times, this was clearly a situation where an "I'm just putting the incident behind me and I'm here to help the team win" response is the obvious thing to say. Instead he's opened the whole issue up again and is showing a lack of maturity to the team - I'm pretty sure one of the things the team wanted him to learn from the last incident was to avoid unnecessary conflict.

Reactions: jaylew and Koronin
Sadly, there is a terrible mentality in the states. There are those who literally believe that they are being persecuted when they are saying or doing reprehensible things. I believe Simmons falls into this category and so any attempt to try to educate turns into suppression and censorship.

There are a lot of lost and wildly uneducated people in the US.

Much ado about nothing in relation to Simmon's response to his suspension - Probably many rider's would think they shouldn't be suspended for his actions on twitter - I am more concerned that an educated adult in Jose Been making silly tweets on twitter - Using social media is a failure for most.

Sadly, there is a terrible mentality in the states. There are those who literally believe that they are being persecuted when they are saying or doing reprehensible things. I believe Simmons falls into this category and so any attempt to try to educate turns into suppression and censorship.

There are a lot of lost and wildly uneducated people in the US.

It's called freedom of speech & freedom of thought.

You don't get to define what is "reprehensible" when the goalposts shift so quickly. I will certainly not morally lecture, patronize or condemn someone like Simmons who has a different worldview based on his own experiences.

Reactions: Ulfhednar
Please do not resort to name calling, it's not productive. ( Calling forum members "mentally deficient" for not agreeing with your thoughts)
digital blackface :D another fabulous twitter invention

only embarrassing thing for simmons is that he should be much smarter when dealing with twitter folks and world of business where companies bend over backwards just to not offend anyone

and embarrassing for some of you mentally deficient fellows is that you actually acknowledge that its a thing...you are building dystopia over there in US

You don't get to define what is "reprehensible" when the goalposts shift so quickly. I will certainly not morally lecture, patronize or condemn someone like Simmons who has a different worldview based on his own experiences.

I may be naive here but where is the freedom of speech or freedom of thought issue here - Simmons is free to think, post or say what he wants - the issue is whether his employer sees these comments as a liability. So surely it's a labour rights issue rather than any kind of freedom of speech issue

But that’s exactly what the discussion is about (here on CN) this time around: that QS should be MuCH smarter than opening this up this issue again in public view, and then trying too hard to explain (which makes it even less believable) what he was doing.

I understand the “he’s only 19, it’s so easy to trip up with social media attention, etc.” But he’s had, what, 4-6 months of down time since the suspension: he could have done a lot of training and practicing to determine how best to handle himself—an opportunity most 19 y.o.’s don’t get a chance do.
And finally, I understand not wanting to hold any of this against him. He just a cyclist. But I think it’s failed rhetoric to defend him with “he just made a dumb mistake and it’s much ado about a silly thing.” That is one possibility. Another, just as likely possibility, is that what he posted on Twitter and how he responded to his team is just the tip of the iceberg for some serious ugliness that lies beneath.

I think it’s easy to take shots at the U.S. for being overly sensitive to minor culture-wars gaffs and snowflakes and all that. But it’s also readily apparent that there are folks here with very warped views of reality and an ugly, seething internal brew of hatred.

Reactions: Koronin and Bolder
I think this is broadly correct. As much as I find athletes giving cliche and clearly media trained responses in interviews frustrating at times, this was clearly a situation where an "I'm just putting the incident behind me and I'm here to help the team win" response is the obvious thing to say. Instead he's opened the whole issue up again and is showing a lack of maturity to the team - I'm pretty sure one of the things the team wanted him to learn from the last incident was to avoid unnecessary conflict.
And like so many young people that enjoy the reverence of their peers via social media they are surprised at negative response. That's definitely an opportunity to learn if he can take it.
The whole world could take that opportunity right about now.

Could be worse. He could ha

(credit XKCD)

free_speech_2x.png

Sorry to interrupt, I will talk about cycling.
I've followed Simmons' training over winter. He really likes to demolish himself, 6 to 7 hours every day at remarkable power outputs.

I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing for him but he looked in great shape to start the season (top10 in his first race).

Curious to see what he can do in Strade Bianche.

Reactions: Brumdog66
I've followed Simmons' training over winter. He really likes to demolish himself, 6 to 7 hours every day at remarkable power outputs.

I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing for him but he looked in great shape to start the season (top10 in his first race).

Just prior to his self destruction last year he was showing signs of being able to be a factor in the classics.

It will be interesting to see how he goes in the cobbled classics as part of a good and deep squad with multiple tactical options.

Also saw this. That he got a good placing right off the bat doesn't surprise me with that kind of training load. It also wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't get any better either over the classics period, or even regresses because of doing too much. There were some exceptionally hard rides in there from what he shared, was already thinking he might come in a bit overcooked and burn up before he actually reaches the end of his classics campaign.

Reactions: SafeBet
And like so many young people that enjoy the reverence of their peers via social media they are surprised at negative response. That's definitely an opportunity to learn if he can take it.
The whole world could take that opportunity right about now.
Wise words. He seems like a smart guy but maybe a little too smart for his own good. Time for his legs to do the talking and not his mouth...

His world view is to support a racist so ya I do think I get to define that as "reprehensible"
Supporting Trump is not a " a different worldview" its supporting a sexist, racist rapist who tried to coerce people into rigging an election. At 19yo I knew full well those things were wrong so if Simmons wants to back em publicly he can suffer the backlash publicly

TRENDING THREADS