• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Quinn Simmons is the new Quinn Simmons

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
His world view is to support a racist so ya I do think I get to define that as "reprehensible"
Supporting Trump is not a " a different worldview" its supporting a sexist, racist rapist who tried to coerce people into rigging an election. At 19yo I knew full well those things were wrong so if Simmons wants to back em publicly he can suffer the backlash publicly
I agree with what you said but Biden is also a sexual predator so there also should backlash towards those who support him.

Last edited:
Reactions: limak_
Also saw this. That he got a good placing right off the bat doesn't surprise me with that kind of training load. It also wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't get any better either over the classics period, or even regresses because of doing too much. There were some exceptionally hard rides in there from what he shared, was already thinking he might come in a bit overcooked and burn up before he actually reaches the end of his classics campaign.

It's a bit strange to me that he is doing the punchy classics in France right now instead of the opening weekend. As far as I remember from the past, this would suggest that the plan is that the main focus would be further into the season.

It's a bit strange to me that he is doing the punchy classics in France right now instead of the opening weekend. As far as I remember from the past, this would suggest that the plan is that the main focus would be further into the season.
It could also suggest the team are trying to get him back into racing but a bit less in the spotlight by racing away from the global TV coverage.

Reactions: Bolder
That's a stupidly narrow meaning of free speech. But I guess it wasn't an attack on free speech (and freedom of expression) when van Gogh, Charlie Hebdo, Samuel Paty etc. were attacked as it wasn't by governments.
The central point is the third panel. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences of that speech, so those complaining that Trek suspending him is a freedom of speech issue are missing the point. He is totally free to say what he likes. And Trek are totally free to say they don't want to be associated with his statements, too. Most employment contracts have a code of conduct in them, and persistently breaking that code can give an employer cause to take action. If Trek feel that Quinn's behaviour has broken that code then they have every right to sanction him and warn him that persistent infringement will be just cause to terminate the contract. Quinn then has every right to continue to behave as he has been, after all he may exercise his right to free speech, but he then has to accept the consequences associated. With his talent level and with his age, he would surely find another team and has time to learn when to pick his battles and which hills are worth dying on when it comes to voicing his opinions. Many do. Others don't - see Tony deAngelo for a recent example. To be perfectly honest, I don't see what's so wrong about Trek's handling of this.

The central point is the third panel. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences of that speech, so those complaining that Trek suspending him is a freedom of speech issue are missing the point. He is totally free to say what he likes. And Trek are totally free to say they don't want to be associated with his statements, too. Most employment contracts have a code of conduct in them, and persistently breaking that code can give an employer cause to take action. If Trek feel that Quinn's behaviour has broken that code then they have every right to sanction him and warn him that persistent infringement will be just cause to terminate the contract. Quinn then has every right to continue to behave as he has been, after all he may exercise his right to free speech, but he then has to accept the consequences associated. With his talent level and with his age, he would surely find another team and has time to learn when to pick his battles and which hills are worth dying on when it comes to voicing his opinions. Many do. Others don't - see Tony deAngelo for a recent example. To be perfectly honest, I don't see what's so wrong about Trek's handling of this.

Why are you prejudiced against paragraphs?

The central point is the third panel. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences of that speech, so those complaining that Trek suspending him is a freedom of speech issue are missing the point. He is totally free to say what he likes.
The third panel is the narrow 1st amendment meaning of it. By that logic, everyone in France is “totally free” to express any view on any religion. They just have to live (or die) with the consequences ...

It is totally ignoring the concept of material (and practiced/actual) freedom of speech, limiting it to formal freedom of speech.

[^^About the comic, not Quinn]

Last edited:
That's funny because the entire "Trump is a racist sexist blablabla" is entirely a partisan viewpoint, not a universal truth or law.

Imagine if the 70 million or so who voted for Trump started banning, deplatforming, firing & harassing Biden voters because in their view they're unamerican, communistic, woke, anti-constitutional "assholes"?

Democracy dies. So learn to live with the other side for a change instead of perpetuating politically motivated belligerence.
There are a lot of riders whose political viewpoints we know nothing about, or who are on a particular side of the political debate but don't attract the same controversy, because they are smarter about how and when to engage on it than Quinn has been. Just like Tony deAngelo, it wasn't his viewpoints themselves, but his inability to control himself from getting into fights about it publicly that made it a problem. Again, he's 19, and if he does learn from this he'll still be able to hold his opinions and have a successful career. Or he might end up like Tony deAngelo and get thrown off teams and unable to find one despite obviously holding sufficient talent because he's considered a liability in the locker room and the press.

That's funny because the entire "Trump is a racist sexist blablabla" is entirely a partisan viewpoint, not a universal truth or law.

Imagine if the 70 million or so who voted for Trump started banning, deplatforming, firing & harassing Biden voters because in their view they're unamerican, communistic, woke, anti-constitutional "assholes"?

Democracy dies. So learn to live with the other side for a change instead of perpetuating politically motivated belligerence.

Yeah agree with this, the mentality illustrated above is as much too blame for the divisions that exist and we will unfortunately see a lot more Trumps if it persists.

There was something similar with the former MMA fighter turned actress Gina Carano who was fired for twitter comments. I think professional sports people/actors etc should be smart enough to stay away from politics on social media platforms. The issue is when one side is allowed to push their political beliefs without consequence whilst the other cannot and are pulled on it.

Surely Jose Been (from where the Quinn Simmons story started) who works in the public eye should have been reprimanded for telling a load of people to basically *** off. How is that any less professional that what Simmons did? If the idea is not to make your employer look bad, then telling a large group of people to *** off is hardly ideal for anyone.

Even without making a political or moral judgement on his statements, from a PR standpoint the guy is quite simply thick as pig ***. The commotion was dissipating, just put your head down, say you'd rather move on and at least try and pretend like you've learnt something.

There are certain hills worth dying on, Smith and Collins on the podium of course, Ali not going to war definitely. Roy Keane in Saipan, certainly debatable ("You can stick it up your bollocks"). This isn't in the same universe as any of those things, no matter what he seems to believe. To incinerate yourself over this sort of thing completely negates all that scurrying and tripping over themselves Trek did when it first ignited, making them look like even bigger chumps than they already did. It causes a huge distraction at the start of the season and signals to any prospective future team 'Look at me, I'm a complete *** liability'.

I would've loved to see what the press officer's face looked like when he was banging on, the journos at that conference must've been *** delighted.
Of course, the other option is that he is simply a racist scumbag.

His world view is to support a racist so ya I do think I get to define that as "reprehensible"
Supporting Trump is not a " a different worldview" its supporting a sexist, racist rapist who tried to coerce people into rigging an election.
Thing is, he very likely doesn't believe any of those things. Tens of millions in the US truly don't believe that stuff. I certainly don't side with them but I've had many a discussion with people who don't believe any of that stuff is true.

Reactions: pastronef
Simmons learned the wrong lesson from his suspension. Instead of reflecting on how his post could have been taken as offensive, he learned to try and keep his thoughts off of social media.

He’s clearly talented, and I do look forward to seeing what he can achieve, but I am not a fan.

It’s such a shame that the most promising young American rider is not someone who can be marketable and a great role model.

I want to see his talent fulfilled and for his legs to start to tell the story not his mouth but I doubt I will ever be able cheer for him.
Give him a chance. His world view should grow with being around people that don't all share the same opinion, hopefully. We all know cyclists don't make the best political analysts anyway.

It’s such a shame that the most promising young American rider is not someone who can be marketable and a great role model.

I want to see his talent fulfilled and for his legs to start to tell the story not his mouth but I doubt I will ever be able cheer for him.

I'd think Sepp Kuss could be marketable. Also if Matteo Jorgenson can continue to improve on his promising results from last year he could be marketable.

TRENDING THREADS