• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Quintana??

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Fair play to Valverde though, you can see him sprinting at the end of the video to catch Quintana who had just got his balance back to continue helping him for the last km

Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
Pantani Attacks said:
The fact there was such a blockage in front of him at the time he/they can swing it that he was briefly holding on to prevent a similar crash to what happened LRP and co. He was still pedalling as well so it wasn't a complete tow. I doubt anything will happen, the rules are made so that loopholes will always exist.

LOL, utterly ridiculous. He would have had no idea what had happened in front of him. He is holding on to that motorbike for the whole of the video while other riders around him manage perfectly well without holding on to anything. Not a complete tow? What does that even mean? does that mean if Nibali had spun his pedals he should have been allowed to get away with?

He was cheating.

:confused: :confused:

LRP and Froome were literally seconds ahead of him, the road was complete chaos at the time. That's irrefutable. What Quintana did was clearly illegal, but a loophole exists that he was trying to prevent a similar thing happening to him as to what happened Froome, Bauke and LRP.

Pantani Attacks said:
King Boonen said:
Pantani Attacks said:
The fact there was such a blockage in front of him at the time he/they can swing it that he was briefly holding on to prevent a similar crash to what happened LRP and co. He was still pedalling as well so it wasn't a complete tow. I doubt anything will happen, the rules are made so that loopholes will always exist.

LOL, utterly ridiculous. He would have had no idea what had happened in front of him. He is holding on to that motorbike for the whole of the video while other riders around him manage perfectly well without holding on to anything. Not a complete tow? What does that even mean? does that mean if Nibali had spun his pedals he should have been allowed to get away with?

He was cheating.

LRP and Froome were literally seconds ahead of him, the road was complete chaos at the time. That's irrefutable. What Quintana did was clearly illegal, but a loophole exists that he was trying to prevent a similar thing happening to him as to what happened Froome, Bauke and LRP.

There is no way to know if they had crash, blown, been blocked etc. and even if there was it's not an excuse for hanging on to a motorbike. There were plenty of other riders around him who didn't feel the need to cheat so it's clear that there is very little justification for what he was doing. Everything was moving, there was actually space on the road, he just thought he'd use the chaos to his advantage and take a cheeky lift up the road.

King Boonen said:
Pantani Attacks said:
King Boonen said:
Pantani Attacks said:

He was cheating.

There is no way to know if they had crash, blown, been blocked etc. and even if there was it's not an excuse for hanging on to a motorbike. There were plenty of other riders around him who didn't feel the need to cheat so it's clear that there is very little justification for what he was doing. Everything was moving, there was actually space on the road, he just thought he'd use the chaos to his advantage and take a cheeky lift up the road.

There is a way to know if one is so inclined to open their eyes. Seeing the three guys emerge from the ground, one fixing their chain, another running with a broken bike, all only metres ahead of Quintana as the video shows...

What else could Quintana possibly think happened? Froome deciding to drop Cycling for long distance running mid Tour? Lil Richie deciding to have an impromptu game of Ring-a-Ring-a-Rosie we all fall down with the motorbike and his rivals? It's not like Quintana and co were minutes down, it was 30seconds or so on a mountain stage which in metres is not a lot at all.

He clearly was cheating, nobody said he wasn't...but it's a perfect loophole situation. Carnage around him, make reference to that a motorbike stopping abruptly caused the crash, by holding onto a motorbike he can gauge an abrupt stop and thus avoid danger, being tactically aware etc. etc. All of this is extremely plausible. Is it cheating, yes of course, is it complete spoof of course it is but as I said initially loopholes exist in these sort of things, hence why I doubt anything will happen.

Pantani Attacks said:
There is a way to know if one is so inclined to open their eyes. Seeing the three guys emerge from the ground, one fixing their chain, another running with a broken bike, all only metres ahead of Quintana as the video shows...

What else could Quintana possibly think happened? Froome deciding to drop Cycling for long distance running mid Tour? Lil Richie deciding to have an impromptu game of Ring-a-Ring-a-Rosie we all fall down with the motorbike and his rivals? It's not like Quintana and co were minutes down, it was 30seconds or so on a mountain stage which in metres is not a lot at all.

He clearly was cheating, nobody said he wasn't...but it's a perfect loophole situation. Carnage around him, make reference to that a motorbike stopping abruptly caused the crash, by holding onto a motorbike he can gauge an abrupt stop and thus avoid danger, being tactically aware etc. etc. All of this is extremely plausible. Is it cheating, yes of course, is it complete spoof of course it is but as I said initially loopholes exist in these sort of things, hence why I doubt anything will happen.

I've watched it several times thank you. By the time Quintana is anywhere near Mollema has gone, Froome is off up the road and Porte looks, for all intents and purposes like he has dropped his chain. There's clear road, plenty of people round him still actually riding bikes and not cheating, the stopped bikes have been cleared and disappeared and there is plenty of space. The only thing he can see is the motorbike he is hanging on to.

It is utterly ridiculous to suggest that he was aware that a crash he clearly didn't see was caused by a motorbike and that he would decide the best option to avoid that would be to hang off the side of a different bike. It is not plausible in the slightest, especially when you add on to that the fact his heart-rate will have been through the roof.

Plausibly, it's possible the motorbike forced him into the gutter and he grabbed on instinctively to stop himself falling. He's on the outside of the bike and that might be the case, but it's completely implausible to think he would be capable of complex deductive reasoning in this situation.

I'm in two minds as to what should happen to him for this. It's clearly exceptional circumstances and there is not enough evidence to really know what was going on. What I do think is that anyone who thinks the result should not have been changed should also want Quintana thrown out of the race.

Pantani Attacks said:
King Boonen said:
Pantani Attacks said:
King Boonen said:
Pantani Attacks said:

He was cheating.

Do you really think so?

We see 5 riders in that clip and only Quintana chose to grab the motorbike.. Why should he get a free pass when he could easily avoided everything by...not cheating?

Pantani Attacks said:
King Boonen said:
Pantani Attacks said:

He was cheating.

I think you'd have a slightly different opinion if it was Froome getting a tow instead of Quintana ;)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Is there more footage all I saw was Quintana grabbing the rim to the tire on the Mavic as he went by. From what I have read above I was expecting to see a Nibali in the Vuelta 2015 incident.

Re:

Nick C. said:
Is there more footage all I saw was Quintana grabbing the rim to the tire on the Mavic as he went by. From what I have read above I was expecting to see a Nibali in the Vuelta 2015 incident.

Yeah. Looks like he just grabbed it to stabilise himself in the melee, to me.

Commissaires got everything right here imo.

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site

alspacka said:
Nick C. said:

Yeah. Looks like he just grabbed it to stabilise himself in the melee, to me.

Commissaires got everything right here imo.

I tend to agree. His legs appear to be moving.

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

Pantani Attacks said:
King Boonen said:
Pantani Attacks said:

He was cheating.

What was the gap between Froome and Quintana at the time of the crash ? 35 seconds ? Porte seemed to think it was over a minute at one point.

If Quintana was dropping off the back of his group he may of been the big winner of the incident as the timing gap was taken at the finish and he may of been slowed but not stopped at the incident.

Froome's front wheel was buckled but that is not what stopped him. The service bike was quickly on the spot with spares. The blue motorcycle following ran over his bike snapping the frame at the chain stay.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Walkman said:
Has there been any response from the organizers about him hitching a ride with a moto or are they just sticking their heads in the sand and hope everything blows over?
I asked earlier if there was more footage. Was he like a waterskier or, as the footage I saw, a guy that grabbed a tire rim as he went past?

ekroy10 said:
Why does everyone think Quintana did not use a motor during the Route du Sud TT. I was watching the Route du Sud on British Eurosport and what I saw seemed pretty clear to me. There is no need to watch Quintana's entire TT run. You only need to have a look at the highlights of stage 4. At the start of the programme there is a very clear camera shot of Quintana taking the final bend during his TT run. With 250m to go he stops pedalling and pushs back on the pedals with his lower foot. You can then see very clearly a counter force push his lower foot forward, and after a pause he starts pedalling again. I am not sure if this camera shot was shown on Eurosport in other territories but you need to see this shot. I couldn't tell if he was using a motor either from watching his TT run on stage 3, infact I didn't notice it until I watched the stage 4 highlights.

There clearly was nothing wrong with his brakes, gears or chain and he was not having difficulty controlling the bike either. He was simply turning off the motor. This was a bend you could take at full speed and nobody else stopped pedalling on this bend. How could he average 51km/h for a flat TT with very little if any tailwind. He only weighs 60kg at most. Either he used a motor or PEDs. I believe he used a motor.

If he intends to use it for the Tour de France TTs then he would obviously need to try it out in competition first. There was never any risk of him being caught. Why has no one been caught using a motor in the pro peleton and why are military grade thermal scanners going to be used in the Tour de France. The answer is motors are been used and the iPad app is ineffective at detecting them.

Okay so Quintana did similar things in the TDF TT that he did in the Route du Sud which you said was him turning off his motor but others say was him balancing himself, do you still think he was using a motor in both the Route du Sud and the TDF? Or only in the Route du Sud? If was using a motor in both then why did he do so poorly in the TDF TT? If he only used it at the Route du Sud then why did he do similar things by pushing back on the pedals in the TDF TT?
This is a genuine question as you were certain he was using a motor and the way he pedaled backwards was him switching it off yet he did this action at the TDF TT (and previous TT's) yet he performed so poorly in the TDF TT indicating no motor was being used.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Wasn't Nairo over 2 minutes behind Froome last year? and then he suddenly blasted away after the 2nd rest day. Same thing for the Giro he won. He seems to have his can of Popeye beans in the 2nd rest day. The TDF is far from over, the only difference from last year is that Sky is stronger, that could, maybe neutralize the Popeye beans. But Contador showed how to break Sky in the daulphine, You have to attack 10-15miles from the finish.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Re:

jilbiker said:
Wasn't Nairo over 2 minutes behind Froome last year? and then he suddenly blasted away after the 2nd rest day. Same thing for the Giro he won. He seems to have his can of Popeye beans in the 2nd rest day. The TDF is far from over, the only difference from last year is that Sky is stronger, that could, maybe neutralize the Popeye beans. But Contador showed how to break Sky in the daulphine, You have to attack 10-15miles from the finish.

Exactly, Quintana should have Valverde do a long range attack force the Sky train to really increase the effort a lot earlier. Stages like this are usually ideal, attack on the penultimate climb and not the last so Froome will be more isolated at the end

May 26, 2009
Visit site

gazr99 said:
jilbiker said:

Exactly, Quintana should have Valverde do a long range attack force the Sky train to really increase the effort a lot earlier. Stages like this are usually ideal, attack on the penultimate climb and not the last so Froome will be more isolated at the end

That's good in theory but Piti isn't a team player, unless the team is working for him. Piti probably hoping to get on the podium make it a Giro/Tour double.

Re:

jilbiker said:
Popeye had spinach, but I get your point. :)
And I hope you are correct that Quintana somehow wakes up and attacks.