• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Quintana??

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Cookster15 said:
But assuming he was not "motorised", and regardless of the "kiddie pool" competition Quintana's TT at Route de Sud was impressive and I am hoping he can beat praying mantis Froome and the Skybots. Plus being 1 year older I am also sure he has learned from being too timid last year when he left his attack way too late. Plus why would a rider and team wanting to win the Tour de France risk riding with a motor in a minor stage race like Route de Sud?
I will go ahead and reassure you that Quintana would beat me every time, even if he had the motor running in reverse ;) If you meant to say that I'm a Sky supporter, well... No. As to why cheat in the Route du Sud, well your guess is a good as mine. Could have been a valuable rehearsal. If someone would cheat with a motor, Quintana strikes me as a likely candidate. He has blatantly cheated in other ways like the red flag incident, or his mechanics pushing him halfway up the mountain. He has also improved greatly at TT. (Yes we could make the same points about others like Froome, but this isn't the thread for that.) Quintana's clearly a protected rider in my view, the next chosen heir to the throne. He could crack the South American market wide open... Remember the globalisation of cycling?

Again, just saying this footage was very odd-looking to me, and apparantly to others as well. I think we're seeing some strange performances over the last years, and motors may very well be involved in that. I don't just jump to conclusions over every clip of supposed motors, for example I don't find Hesjedal's wheel strange. Froome's Ventoux is a lot worse. Race footage might be all we have to go on here, I don't have much faith in the controls being done, especially when sudden bike changes or warning emails can work around them.

Colombia is already huge on cycling. With or without Quintana. It has been a big sport in Colombia for decades. His win won't open any new market in South America. So I don't see that point.

I would not risk anything in Route du Sud. Not on French soil. Not to say at the Tour. So why rehearse if you won't be able to use it at the Tour. This one was a very short TT against a lousy competition.

Re: Re:

Praying Mantis said:
Well it's easy to dismiss these "conspiracy theories", but keep in mind that conspiracies happen all the time, especially in pro cycling. Entertaining and exploring those theories is kind what this subforum is about. The intense discussion concerning motors doesn't come from nowhere, they do exist. All I'm saying is that if motors are in use in competition today, I would personally expect it to look just like that footage of Quintana. He might have been doing that strange twitching every time he hit a bend after a straight for a different reason, but who knows

Yes, conspiracy theories are easy to dismiss, especially when, like yours, they are based merely on leaps of logic. You have a mental picture of what mechanical doping looks like, never mind how you arrived at this picture, and it somehow conforms to Quintana's RdS ITT performance; therefore, you conclude that Quintana is automatically suspicious of using a motor. I'm sorry, but that is hogwash.

Praying Mantis said:
What was new about that Canyon btw, dodgy bearings?

They are releasing the new Canyon Speedmax TT bike, first spotted at the Giro and was also seen being ridden by some of the Movistar team leading upto the Tour. Not that much of a surprise that a bike manufacturer has riders testing it out before the official release date

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Ah, so all is right in the world then, thanks guys, that's comforting. I'm not going to drone on about this, I've said my piece, and I remain suspicious of motors being used. I'll be watching Tour performances with great interest, among them Quintana's ITT's and Froome's MTF's. You guys can just take a nap until someone falls flat on their bike and the cranks drill a hole in the road I guess :)

Re:

Praying Mantis said:
Ah, so all is right in the world then, thanks guys, that's comforting. I'm not going to drone on about this, I've said my piece, and I remain suspicious of motors being used. I'll be watching Tour performances with great interest, among them Quintana's ITT's and Froome's MTF's. You guys can just take a nap until someone falls flat on their bike and the cranks drill a hole in the road I guess :)

I get your points and I also think, despite being a huge Quintana-supporter, that its way too easily dismissed. Not saying you are onto something, but we can never be sure. People do whatever to win, but in this case, I think its unlikely.

Re:

Praying Mantis said:

I also have suspicions that motors are being used but my only point was that in my opinion that TT didn't look suspicious motor wise, it just looked regular cycling suspicious :D

Re:

Escarabajo said:
This one was a very short TT against a lousy competition.

Of course, but 51kph on a short but lumpy course is still extremely impressive for a 58Kg rider of Quintana's characteristics regardless of the lack of competition. It says he is in good form and probably stronger than 2015 - as he should be at his still young age. But I am confident there were no motors involved at Route de Sud.

Praying Mantis said:
Cookster15 said:
But assuming he was not "motorised", and regardless of the "kiddie pool" competition Quintana's TT at Route de Sud was impressive and I am hoping he can beat praying mantis Froome and the Skybots. Plus being 1 year older I am also sure he has learned from being too timid last year when he left his attack way too late. Plus why would a rider and team wanting to win the Tour de France risk riding with a motor in a minor stage race like Route de Sud?
I will go ahead and reassure you that Quintana would beat me every time, even if he had the motor running in reverse ;) If you meant to say that I'm a Sky supporter, well... No. As to why cheat in the Route du Sud, well your guess is a good as mine. Could have been a valuable rehearsal. If someone would cheat with a motor, Quintana strikes me as a likely candidate. He has blatantly cheated in other ways like the red flag incident, or his mechanics pushing him halfway up the mountain. He has also improved greatly at TT. (Yes we could make the same points about others like Froome, but this isn't the thread for that.) Quintana's clearly a protected rider in my view, the next chosen heir to the throne. He could crack the South American market wide open... Remember the globalisation of cycling?

Again, just saying this footage was very odd-looking to me, and apparantly to others as well. I think we're seeing some strange performances over the last years, and motors may very well be involved in that. I don't just jump to conclusions over every clip of supposed motors, for example I don't find Hesjedal's wheel strange. Froome's Ventoux is a lot worse. Race footage might be all we have to go on here, I don't have much faith in the controls being done, especially when sudden bike changes or warning emails can work around them.

To be clear I was referring to Froome's climbing style which can resemble a praying mantis and nothing to do with you being a Sky supporter either. But this entire motorised doping issue is a little depressing, such a big deal made out of something that should be easy to stamp out. Motors are much more easily detected than regular doping, even if concealed in the bike tubes or even hubs. Any half decent mechanic can spot an installed motor very easily with the appropriate tools. But on recent reports they do seem to be serious about detecting motors at the Tour so if Quintana suddenly looks very slow then yes I will be suspect about his performance in the Route de Sud TT but it still makes no sense why he would risk that at such a minor race.

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site

Cookster15 said:
To be clear I was referring to Froome's climbing style which can resemble a praying mantis and nothing to do with you being a Sky supporter either.
Haha, that's funny. This nickname was actually inspired by his riding style. Was just confused by the context here.

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Why does everyone think Quintana did not use a motor during the Route du Sud TT. I was watching the Route du Sud on British Eurosport and what I saw seemed pretty clear to me. There is no need to watch Quintana's entire TT run. You only need to have a look at the highlights of stage 4. At the start of the programme there is a very clear camera shot of Quintana taking the final bend during his TT run. With 250m to go he stops pedalling and pushs back on the pedals with his lower foot. You can then see very clearly a counter force push his lower foot forward, and after a pause he starts pedalling again. I am not sure if this camera shot was shown on Eurosport in other territories but you need to see this shot. I couldn't tell if he was using a motor either from watching his TT run on stage 3, infact I didn't notice it until I watched the stage 4 highlights.

There clearly was nothing wrong with his brakes, gears or chain and he was not having difficulty controlling the bike either. He was simply turning off the motor. This was a bend you could take at full speed and nobody else stopped pedalling on this bend. How could he average 51km/h for a flat TT with very little if any tailwind. He only weighs 60kg at most. Either he used a motor or PEDs. I believe he used a motor.

If he intends to use it for the Tour de France TTs then he would obviously need to try it out in competition first. There was never any risk of him being caught. Why has no one been caught using a motor in the pro peleton and why are military grade thermal scanners going to be used in the Tour de France. The answer is motors are been used and the iPad app is ineffective at detecting them.

ekroy10 said:
Why does everyone think Quintana did not use a motor during the Route du Sud TT. I was watching the Route du Sud on British Eurosport and what I saw seemed pretty clear to me. There is no need to watch Quintana's entire TT run. You only need to have a look at the highlights of stage 4. At the start of the programme there is a very clear camera shot of Quintana taking the final bend during his TT run. With 250m to go he stops pedalling and pushs back on the pedals with his lower foot. You can then see very clearly a counter force push his lower foot forward, and after a pause he starts pedalling again. I am not sure if this camera shot was shown on Eurosport in other territories but you need to see this shot. I couldn't tell if he was using a motor either from watching his TT run on stage 3, infact I didn't notice it until I watched the stage 4 highlights.

There clearly was nothing wrong with his brakes, gears or chain and he was not having difficulty controlling the bike either. He was simply turning off the motor. This was a bend you could take at full speed and nobody else stopped pedalling on this bend. How could he average 51km/h for a flat TT with very little if any tailwind. He only weighs 60kg at most. Either he used a motor or PEDs. I believe he used a motor.

If he intends to use it for the Tour de France TTs then he would obviously need to try it out in competition first. There was never any risk of him being caught. Why has no one been caught using a motor in the pro peleton and why are military grade thermal scanners going to be used in the Tour de France. The answer is motors are been used and the iPad app is ineffective at detecting them.

So basic cornering technique then. Particularly so on a TT bike, going through a corner which is full of potentially slippery skid marks.

But if he beats Froome I guess most people don't care ? If women are using motors in races God knows how prevalent it is in men's races. Weird preparation Quintana has also. It's almost unheard of for a Tour GC rider not to ride the Dauphine or TDS beforehand if they did not ride the Giro.

Praying Mantis said:
Cookster15 said:
To be clear I was referring to Froome's climbing style which can resemble a praying mantis and nothing to do with you being a Sky supporter either.
Haha, that's funny. This nickname was actually inspired by his riding style. Was just confused by the context here.

The way Froome movies his head around he looks like one of those bobble headed dolls ! Because he does not hold his neck up for long it probably relieves the tension in the neck but I'm not surprised he has had back issues but maybe that was from some of the the falls he had, not so much his riding style. Who knows. It's amazing that these super light riders don't break bones more often.

Re:

movingtarget said:
But if he beats Froome I guess most people don't care ? If women are using motors in races God knows how prevalent it is in men's races. Weird preparation Quintana has also. It's almost unheard of for a Tour GC rider not to ride the Dauphine or TDS beforehand if they did not ride the Giro.

Did the same thing in 2015

aarononymous said:
movingtarget said:

Did the same thing in 2015

Which is my point he seems to be the only one doing it.

The fact there was such a blockage in front of him at the time he/they can swing it that he was briefly holding on to prevent a similar crash to what happened LRP and co. He was still pedalling as well so it wasn't a complete tow. I doubt anything will happen, the rules are made so that loopholes will always exist.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Pantani Attacks said:
The fact there was such a blockage in front of him at the time he/they can swing it that he was briefly holding on to prevent a similar crash to what happened LRP and co. He was still pedalling as well so it wasn't a complete tow. I doubt anything will happen, the rules are made so that loopholes will always exist.

Can't see him being punished, ASO need a quiet few days. Wasn't Nibali pedalling when he held onto the car? Apparently Movistar were one of the teams upset with the decision yesterday, guessing they won't be so against it anymore ;)

I do think if Froome did this their would be much more outrage from what I've seen

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Re:

gazr99 said:
https://mobile.twitter.com/assekevin/status/753720450551836673

Will/should Quintana be punished . Thoughts?

Yeah he should. Isn't holding on to a bike a DQ? I mean Froome got kicked out the 2010 Giro for doing the samething, so Quintana should be kicked out here. But Quintana is a big rider and won't, if random scrub rider did that he'd be gone.

Re:

Pantani Attacks said:

LOL, utterly ridiculous. He would have had no idea what had happened in front of him. He is holding on to that motorbike for the whole of the video while other riders around him manage perfectly well without holding on to anything. Not a complete tow? What does that even mean? does that mean if Nibali had spun his pedals he should have been allowed to get away with?

He was cheating.

Has to be thrown out of the race based on the evidence as it is a blatant abuse of the rules. Will he? No chance.

It shows the freakish strength of Froome, Porte and Mollema that a pure climber like Quintana resorted to this. Probably feeling the pressure to stay in contention but his race looks run, he looks like a wasted rider and will suffer big time today.