Quintana??

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It didn't suprise me that he ended up not riding the Vuelta, or that he's appealing this case. Arkea are longstanding members of the MPCC, which called for tramadol to be banned and claims to be "a whistleblower on corticosteroids, tramadol, stilnox and mechanical doping." So when the team's leading rider then tests postive for tramadol it's a difficult situation for both Nairo and the team.

He has the right to appeal and the process has to take its course. But if he can't get it overturned it'll be interesting to see what the team do (and I wonder whether there are clauses in their riders' contracts about complying with MPCC rules).

Reactions: Nick2413
MPCC doesn't actually have any specific rules on Tramadol and Nairo himself hasn't chosen to be an MPCC member which is quite common. So no rules broken there re. Tramadol. MPCC have some history wanting WADA to ban them, but like corticosteroids, they don't actually ban them internally for their members as teams or members as riders in a sense a rule can be broken.
Obviously, Nairo can't fight 2 positives as being a mistake, so it sounds like his lawyer will be claiming UCI are not in alignment with WADA's regulations, so has a good chance of testing just how legal that was from Lappartient. Have to remember the Tramadol & 8 day Cortisol rule was kind of a big deal for Lappartient in light of Team Sky hysteria and wanting to win the election, so I think Nairo has a good chance of being cleared imo.

MPCC doesn't actually have any specific rules on Tramadol and Nairo himself hasn't chosen to be an MPCC member which is quite common. So no rules broken there re. Tramadol. MPCC have some history wanting WADA to ban them, but like corticosteroids, they don't actually ban them internally for their members as teams or members as riders in a sense a rule can be broken.
Obviously, Nairo can't fight 2 positives as being a mistake, so it sounds like his lawyer will be claiming UCI are not in alignment with WADA's regulations, so has a good chance of testing just how legal that was from Lappartient. Have to remember the Tramadol & 8 day Cortisol rule was kind of a big deal for Lappartient in light of Team Sky hysteria and wanting to win the election, so I think Nairo has a good chance of being cleared imo.
How does the MPCC not ban their riders from taking it if they’re specifically trying to get it banned? And isn’t anyone on those teams automatically part of the MPCC? If not that doesn’t make any sense.
Regardless, the UCI having its own protocol when it’s not banned by WADA is another head scratcher. I get why they do it that way, but it doesn’t really make sense to take away someone’s results but not suspend them, just do it all or don’t do anything imo. I also think this has a fair chance of getting overturned.

Reactions: Cookster15
How does the MPCC not ban their riders from taking it if they’re specifically trying to get it banned? And isn’t anyone on those teams automatically part of the MPCC? If not that doesn’t make any sense.
Regardless, the UCI having its own protocol when it’s not banned by WADA is another head scratcher. I get why they do it that way, but it doesn’t really make sense to take away someone’s results but not suspend them, just do it all or don’t do anything imo. I also think this has a fair chance of getting overturned.
MPCC rules are simply a set of recommendations, they don't ban anyone or can legally do much. Even Burgos are members and the team were suspended by UCI for multiple doping violations. MPCC just meet up with the team for a chat in a hotel for a week and call it 'introspection'. They allow TUEs too.

Ageing rider + contract year + can't even acknowledge he took it = zero credibility.

This could be a fading athlete having a last desperate effort for a 'marginal gain' but it casts (more) doubts on everything he achieved before it. Leniency should be conditional on someone acknowledging they actually did the infringement as opposed to them trying to have us believe the tests are faulty.

Tramadol is an incredible painkiller - its like multi-Codeine. The problem with it I found when I was prescribed it, was although I felt no pain I struggled to string a sentence together 30 mins after the max 2 capsule dose. How the hell I could have ridden a bike is anyone's guess! Yes, those effects get easier to deal with, but the pain relief diminishes as well (although not by as much I would say).
I have been taking it for years, never had such issues. I was maybe a bit off the first few times I took it but not as much so that anybody would notice it. The increasing tolerance is a big issue though - or a blessing since thats what made me quit. But at least for a while it's a killer, everything just goes like 10-20% easier. I was more energized (unlike with other opiod drugs which made me rather sluggish), more social, relaxed, confident. Only downside for me was that I got just slightly more short-tempered, but overall I guess I was still more fun to be around. Didn't have any problems discontinuing either, no withdrawal symptoms or craving at all, life has just gotten a bit tougher lol. But my tolerance was sky high anyways and cos of it the effect much reduced (no matter how high the dosage). I tried it again after that but even with like a year break I`m back at max tolerance after like a week or so.

Btw while riding I never noticed any advantage.Iif anything it helped me to get on the bike and out training since I felt more energized.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS