• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

R.E.S.P.E.C.T. to Chris Horner

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
myrideissteelerthanyours said:
Hey gais can I join in? All north Americans and anglos are bad. *giggle giggle*

Owww, he called us "gals"--that really hurts. I mean, what could be worse than being a woman?

"gais" = "guys" The spelling references the Great Vowel Shift, which many anglophones think of as distinguishing themselves from continental Europeans. So the "ai" sounds like the "ai" in a name like "Haidt." As such, it is viewed as an affected spelling, signalling an affected attitude, such as that of a sycophant or phony sucking up to others for undeserved validation or trust. I had assumed it was drawn from Cartman in South Park.

Maybe acting European is viewed as being affected because Anglophones have always been acquainted with Continental Europe through power (Francophone Monarchy, Latin Church, lingua franca) and excellence (Michelangelo, Descartes, Bach). Of course now it mostly seems like burning banlieus, soulless bureaucracy and collapsed economies. It's as easy to spot one's own faults in others as their virtues in us. Hence, Bush's Texan accent: the affected non-affected. Like a football game, people run back and forth.

phanatic said:
"gais" = "guys" The spelling references the Great Vowel Shift, which many anglophones think of as distinguishing themselves from continental Europeans. So the "ai" sounds like the "ai" in a name like "Haidt." As such, it is viewed as an affected spelling, signalling an affected attitude, such as that of a sycophant or phony sucking up to others for undeserved validation or trust. I had assumed it was drawn from Cartman in South Park.

Maybe acting European is viewed as being affected because Anglophones have always been acquainted with Continental Europe through power (Francophone Monarchy, Latin Church, lingua franca) and excellence (Michelangelo, Descartes, Bach). Of course now it mostly seems like burning banlieus, soulless bureaucracy and collapsed economies. It's as easy to spot one's own faults in others as their virtues in us. Hence, Bush's Texan accent: the affected non-affected. Like a football game, people run back and forth.

I feel more informed, but my head really hurts now...

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
elia viviani gets to ride for sky and chris horner for airgaswhateva. yep seems legit. life is so fair.....

especially when the 2015 tour is perfect for Horner. Such a shame. Hopefully they will get invited to tour of cali at least.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:
especially when the 2015 tour is perfect for Horner. Such a shame. Hopefully they will get invited to tour of cali at least.

Doubt that. If he is blacklisted (I think he is) there will be no invites to any major race.

I will bet my underwear the kids from Merckx development team will get an invite over some new team full of no names featuring one 40+ year old star.

Maybe Utah if he gets lucky ...

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Jancouver said:
Doubt that. If he is blacklisted (I think he is) there will be no invites to any major race.

I will bet my underwear the kids from Merckx development team will get an invite over some new team full of no names featuring one 40+ year old star.

Maybe Utah if he gets lucky ...

BT is that you from the WW sight? Artray here

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
wrinklyvet said:
I thought this kind of insinuation was reserved for the Clinic.

That was no insinuation, on the rest I agree though. It surely belongs to the clinic.

Anyway, as one poster recently stated: That contract (racing in the ,anonymous to europeans, US circuit) is the "respect" Horner deserves.
He may break all CQ points records at age 154 or whatever he is now, but no one will care. I like that.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
That was no insinuation, on the rest I agree though. It surely belongs to the clinic.

Anyway, as one poster recently stated: That contract (racing in the ,anonymous to europeans, US circuit) is the "respect" Horner deserves.
He may break all CQ points records at age 154 or whatever he is now, but no one will care. I like that.

He may actually meet with some vocal opposition from riders this time around. USA Cycling is going to have to be less visible in support of their former stepchildren so he may actually be subject to testing on the Masters level....they catch somebody once in awhile.

TRENDING THREADS