• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Design Thread

Page 257 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Red Rick said:
Netserk said:
Almost 7,000 vertical meters for the men :cool:

No way Sagan survives that. Probably even too much for Greg :eek:
Suits Froome to a tee.

You don't climb at 37% 16 times.

You run uphill.
I think that was meant as a joke, but actually this could really be a problem. In the Ronde a lot of riders run on the Koppenberg and that ramp isn't even almost as steep as this climb in Pittsburgh. As epic as it sounds in the first moment, I'm not sure it's a very good idea. Generally great route though

I don't know how long the stretch is, but you may only find those kind of gradients in MTB and Cyclocross where such steep bits are super, super short and they come in launched. This however looks like it's never gonna work, especially not on a circuit. 37% on cobbles. Not happening.

Nijmegen Worlds Road Race, 264.1 km

3629m of vertical gain

13.90km
191m of elevation gain
19 laps

Remember last year's Giro start? A prologue a thousand kilometer away from Italy, followed by two flat stages everyone is desperate to forget, including some local circuits without any purpose. And here's a taste of what could've been.

TmYXCeF.jpg

WNIAsqe.png

We're in Nijmegen, a town with some of the toughest hills the Netherlands has to offer, and we're far away from the lands of the AGR.

Start and finish will be at the same place, at the Oranjesingel, the same spot where Kittel was unlucky not to get time gains other than bonifications last year. However, this time around we'll be headed into the opposite direction, and instead of taking the bridge over the Waal, the riders will take a right turn into a false flat downhill toward the town of Beek-Ubbergen. After 4km, they'll take a right into the town. After a few twists and turns, the riders will face the hills that Nijmegen has to offer.

First up, after about 5.5km, is the van randwijckweg. Almost a full km long at a shade under 7% average. The fun is ended prematurely however, as instead of climbing all the way to Berg-en-Dal, the riders will take a right and descend the Nieuwe Holleweg, cutting the climb short just before the 10% section on the profile.

van-randwijckweg.png

The Nieuwe Holleweg will need to at least get rid of the speedbumps, but I'm sure that'll happen, no biggie. Then, straight after the very quick descent, the riders will take a left turn onto the hardest climb in the Netherlands outside of Southern Limburg, the Oude Holleweg.

oude-holleweg.png

image019.jpg

image017.jpg

In this case, the riders don't do all of the hill, skipping the first ~100m and also skipping the last ~100m before once again, taking a right turn and taking a first false flat, then rapid and narrow descent to Ubbergen. Once there, instead of riding on and heading back to roads already taken, the riders will take a sharp left, and tackle the last hill of the course, the Beekmandalseweg

beekmansdalseweg.png

beekmansdalseweg.png

Riders will turn on it without any speed, and the first bit is very steep. This is the last hill where it's possible to make a selection. After this, the route takes us through a residential area back onto the main roads, over the Keizer Karelplein, back to the finish.

Keizer Karelplein, the riders come from the bottom right streeght onto the KKP and head onto the the street with the big trees.
Nijmegen-700x480.jpg

Overall, the route is just about as hard as it can get in the Netherlands. No climbs are hard enough on their own to decide the race, but that is made up by using 3 climbs on a very short circuit, making the riders cresting almost 60 climbs in a single race.

The hilly section of the race is very narrow, and pretty technical, so chasing can almost only be done on the flat section of the parcours, which is only about 8km long. That will make the race hard to control, and getting back after getting dropped on one of the first two climbs is near impossible. Go hard on the hills, and it will be hard for those who get dropped to get back. This race will absolutely not be like the 2012 Valkenburg WCRR. Still, the route favours those who excell in the Amstel Gold Race, and the Ardennes, though the race will certainly not end in a 1km uphill sprint at the very end.

Overall, there's a decent amount of riders in it with a chance, though it will probably be too hard for the durable sprinters, and too explosive for the purest of climbers.

I have no idea who'd win that. Depends on which hills are ridden hard and which are done softly. I don't think the last flat climb benefits the rouleurs anything, you're never dropping a better climber on that.

Who did well on the SN+naniot combo last year?

After a gap of posting this race, the next stage of the Cape Town and West Cape International Cycle Stage Race is here.

Cape Town and West Cape International Cycle Stage Race Stage 3: Stellenbosch - Mitchells Plain (179km)

ov5k9SA.png

tFjRJju.png

Climbs:
Red Hill Road @ 67.9km, 96.8km & 125.5km (5.1km @ 5%)

Sprints:
Muizenberg @ 52.2km
Muizenberg @ 159.km

Feedzone:
Simons Town @ 89.7km

For the third day of racing, the riders start inland in Stellenbosch. To be precise, the university. Anway, the riders leave Stellenbosch and head south for the coastal town Strand, but only pass through the edge of the suburb. After skirting round the Maccasar Dune Reserve, the riders take the coastal road that is the Baden Powell Drive. This road could be wind swept, meaning echelons could play a part in today's stage. (This is only going by the fact that sand being blown across the road. After this, the riders come to the first sprint of the race at Muizenberg. Then the riders embark on three loops round the headland of the bay. This will not just hopefully see the race splintered even further, but also give good images on TV of the Cape of Good Hope. Before the second time up Red Hill road, the riders go through the feed zone in Simon's Town. After the third passage of the KOM point, the riders will descend back into Simon's Town and head off to the sprint in Muizenberg again. Then the route heads back along part of the Baden Powell Drive, till the riders head inland towards the finish in Mitchells Plain.

Despite what the map say's, the stage will finish on First Avenue opposite the bus station:
ZoOqwVE.png

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
@lemon cheese cake:
Just call it Giro del Capo. :D
I've played with the Idea of creating a really hard Cape Town WC RR, the only climb of the circuit would be Kloof Rd durning the first half of the circuit, the 2nd half of it would be flat and alongside the coast line.
It would be something like this:
cape1.png

cape2.png

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
@lemon cheese cake:
Just call it Giro del Capo. :D
I've played with the Idea of creating a really hard Cape Town WC RR, the only climb of the circuit would be Kloof Rd durning the first half of the circuit, the 2nd half of it would be flat and alongside the coast line.
It would be something like this:
cape1.png

cape2.png
The original idea of the race was that it was organised by the local government with help from RCS sport. So it would seem RCS Sport didn't help them with naming the event :D

That would be a good world champs because the riders who don't have a good sprint could attack on the climb, but the sprinters (who haven't been worn out by the previous laps) have chance to get back in before the finish. Looking at the distance, the elite men would probably do 15 laps (264km), if you didn't start somewhere else like Stellenbosch (about 40-50km away depending on the route).

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
@lemon cheese cake, yes, I'd probably just have them ride 15laps with just the circuit without starting somewere else. Wind could also have a huge impact on the 2nd part of the circuit.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

WheelofGear said:
Netserk said:
Almost 7,000 vertical meters for the men :cool:

No way Sagan survives that. Probably even too much for Greg :eek:
I wonder who would win a race like that? Valverde?

My guesses would be one of Valverde, GVA, Gilbert, and possibly Dumoulin. Dumoulin has great punch to him and obviously a good engine.

Apologies for the uber long break, but I have had to do a lot of work recently. I too have (many) World Championship routes stored up, ready for this summer when I am going to unleash them all. Exam season is very close so if I want to finish this Tirreno-Adriatico I have to skip out the long write ups and have pretty short ones. Which I will.

Tirreno-Adriatico Stage 4: Fabriano - Norcia 161.5km
VPnsGsz.jpg

4apbwKM.jpg

After a long ITT and two intermediate stages suited to the second week of the Tour and the likes of Matthews or some more agressive attackers, there is the first of three stages for GC contenders. The beginning is typical central Italian rolling terrain that is great for the break to get away on. It won't be an exceptionally strong break, but it should be decent. We head quite sharply south from Fabriano.

The stage should start proper at 110km. The pace should kick up, and then starts the main climb of the day. It is 11.3 Km at 7.7%, but the last 2-3km or so are basically flat, at only 2-5%. Oh, and it is sterrato for the second half. In truth, it is difficult to quite understand when it becomes unpaved, as it gets progressively worse from a well paved road, to a bumpy a dry one, to Finestre standard, all the way to strade bianche level, but quite rarely. Therefore it could be less than 7km, but I do not know. Part of the descent is also sterrato, but it is in fairly good shape and it is only the pretty easy beginning of it. It could be paved if needs be. This should really blow the race apart.

3ZVCnSx.jpg

At the end of the descent, another climb follows at 2.3 Km at 6.9%, before another at 3.5 Km at 7.3% which has a couple of sections of 500m at over 10%, and therefore is pretty irregular. After those, there is a long flat section to the end in Norcia. It is about 11km of flat, so perhaps someone going solo is a long shot, but riders should come home in groups of less than five, and we'll probably witness a slow motion sprint on the slight uphill drag to Norcia.

250px-Norcia.jpg