• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race thread: Olympics 2020/21 Tokyo, Men's Road Race, 234k

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think this works with Worlds where teams are still big and you have circuits and a very controllable race.

I doubt the useless breakaway gets any serious time.

Question is, with 5 guys a team, who will do the work from the start? Tratnik, Vansevenant, maybe Fraile or Juul-Jensen? Perhaps one of the INEOS guys because they're so used to pulling? But I doubt the Italians will make Moscon of Caruso pull, nor do I see the French using Cavagna or Cosnefroy.

I think it might be good for the bigger nations to get someone in the early breakaway.

Reactions: yaco
Question is, with 5 guys a team, who will do the work from the start? Tratnik, Vansevenant, maybe Fraile or Juul-Jensen? Perhaps one of the INEOS guys because they're so used to pulling? But I doubt the Italians will make Moscon of Caruso pull, nor do I see the French using Cavagna or Cosnefroy.

I think it might be good for the bigger nations to get someone in the early breakaway.

Cavagna to win.

Reactions: gregrowlerson

Someone always rides.

Remember 2016 WC? Belgian had 6 riders in a 19 man group and the big brain plan was for Boonen to sprint against Sagan and Cavendish.

Someone always rides.

Remember 2016 WC? Belgian had 6 riders in a 19 man group and the big brain plan was for Boonen to sprint against Sagan and Cavendish.

A tactical masterpiece if ever there was one.

Still, most major countries have 2 big guns, that leaves max 3 people domestique and I see nobody with the Tim Declerq/Tonny Martin physique to keep everything together. I wouldn't be suprised so see some bigger names in the early break away.

Reactions: postmanhat
Bettiol: On the hardest climb: a record "We can't wait"!
On the Mikuni Pass, the hardest ascent of the route, he has the best time

g-kb6D--712x402@Gazzetta-Web_712x402.png

as reported in Gazzetta:

TRENDING THREADS