• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 143 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Val di Sole; and MvdP is back after a training camp; which sometimes leaves him with heavy legs, and lesser performances; however he has an excellent record here, and with no Wout or Tom should be a class above the others.
Van Empel won here last year and should go close again, with Puck her only real challenger. Persico makes her World Cup debut, but if she makes the top 5 she's done well; I think 3rd in the Worlds on a fast course flattered her.

Something else I've noticed after a quick look on instagram; we've seen very little of Christen in CX this season...which I thought might happen.

I'm picking Puck and MvdP for the win in the CX snow race tomorrow.
Puck doesn't seem as convinced in her course preview today... lots of swearing and saying she feels like an amateur on this course. But you never know, her Overijse Gopro lap also didn't look that smooth and we all know what happened there. It will probably be a bit more rideable tomorrow, when they have prepared the course with a snowcat.

Val di Sole; and MvdP is back after a training camp; which sometimes leaves him with heavy legs, and lesser performances; however he has an excellent record here, and with no Wout or Tom should be a class above the others.
Van Empel won here last year and should go close again, with Puck her only real challenger. Persico makes her World Cup debut, but if she makes the top 5 she's done well; I think 3rd in the Worlds on a fast course flattered her.

Something else I've noticed after a quick look on instagram; we've seen very little of Christen in CX this season...which I thought might happen.
91-38 and 40-2. Good thing Wout and Tom aren't there tomorrow, or it would be a hard one to pick. Although MVDP does seem to have his bad days coming out of a training camp.

Reactions: jmdirt
Puck doesn't seem as convinced in her course preview today... lots of swearing and saying she feels like an amateur on this course. But you never know, her Overijse Gopro lap also didn't look that smooth and we all know what happened there. It will probably be a bit more rideable tomorrow, when they have prepared the course with a snowcat.

Unfortunately I don't understand Flemish, but always enjoy watching her lap each week.
Love her gasping for air at times, makes her almost normal.

Unfortunately I don't understand Flemish, but always enjoy watching her lap each week.
Love her gasping for air at times, makes her almost normal.
Dutch people don't speak Flemish ;)

Apparently Fem van Empel just crashed hard into a pole on that steep downhill you see on the video, so it remains to be seen if she takes the start today, and if so, how well she'll be going.

You wonder if she should have raced after her crash in pre-ride this morning; she was down for a while then as well.
True, but in the end I think it was the Persico crash that ruined her race, she had to start from too far back and it was really difficult to make up places on this course. Luckily according to her team it seems like there's no fractures, which seems a miracle if you look at in how much pain she was. They will still do a scan back in Holland though.

Puck Pieterse once again doing much better than in her recon video :) Although the course was totally different today than yesterday, today it was a skating rink whereas yesterday it was more like 'one big sandpit' as Puck called it.

It's looking like a post training camp MvdP performance......We've seen these before. Unless, as they've suggested in the commentary he's not willing to take any risks.
I have absolutely zero doubts that his team have told him to take it easy. This course is just too dangerous, it makes no sense riding here on cross bikes. Cyclocross is a little silly at the best of times but here it's just ridiculous.

• Wow
I have absolutely zero doubts that his team have told him to take it easy. This course is just too dangerous, it makes no sense riding here on cross bikes. Cyclocross is a little silly at the best of times but here it's just ridiculous.
Half cross maybe. Van der Poel is way too competitive and way too much of a clown (as in he likes to toy around) to throw in the towel prematurely.

As an admitted MVDP "fanboy", I was actually glad to see him "punt" on the race today. As fun as it is to watch him race on the limit and kick ass, I'm tired of seeing him injured and missing the big races, or at best racing them in compromised condition. The level of reward for him today (winning what was basically an exhibition/experimental race on ice) was not even close to the level of risk and potential loss. He seems to be on a good trajectory for a huge 2023 right now and glad he didn't risk that today.

I'm not sure having just one snow World Cup is enough; it just looks like a token effort....and the IOC will see through that.
The UCI's strategy for growing the sport is literally all over the place: just organize world cups everywhere and every week, and watch what happens. Oh, and let's try to make the sport Olympic by having this one token snow race.

In the mean time the public at 'home', i.e. Flanders, is losing interest.

UPDATE | Medical examinations reveal no fractures in fallen Eli Iserbyt