• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 144 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
UPDATE | Medical examinations reveal no fractures in fallen Eli Iserbyt

Neither Iserbyt nor Van Empel has had an actual scan though, I think Pauwels are a bit too quick with the positive news. Basically what they're saying is, they can both still walk.

Any news on how she went down? Did she hit something?
Apparently it was a fast section of the course, she wanted to pass a rider and got out of the saddle to accelerate, launching herself straight into the banners and hitting her leg on a pole. This morning in the preride she had also already hit a pole pretty hard.

Fair to say it wasn't her day. Let's just hope that she can at least finish the season.

Reactions: jmdirt
Apparently it was a fast section of the course, she wanted to pass a rider and got out of the saddle to accelerate, launching herself straight into the banners and hitting her leg on a pole. This morning in the preride she had also already hit a pole pretty hard.

Fair to say it wasn't her day. Let's just hope that she can at least finish the season.

Yes, hopefully Van Empel and Iserbyt have no serious damage and can return to racing soon. Those crashes could have a real impact on the World Cup overall. Sweeck now in pole to win and the opposite in the womens if Fem cannot race again. It opens it up for Puck to take the title and whilst I like Puck, I think Van Empel had the title won so would be harsh to miss out due to a crash.

Good to see Persico back and going well, but she was all over the place, never seen so many mistakes/falls by a rider. She went from a comfortable 2nd place to barely scraping 4th though KB Vas lost even more places so not sure what happened there.

Another race missing a lot of ladies(No 777 at all) even if the likes of Persico/Rochette came back in. Would be good to see a race with all ladies present, though might require waiting to the Worlds and then you have Elite and U-23s races.

Didn't see this race last year and it seemed a great novel idea. Watching it today though, I am not sure about it as a race, just feels a bit gimmicky. I know why they are doing it, but as others pointed out, hard to sell as a olympic event when it is the only race on snow,

Yes, hopefully Van Empel and Iserbyt have no serious damage and can return to racing soon. Those crashes could have a real impact on the World Cup overall. Sweeck now in pole to win and the opposite in the womens if Fem cannot race again. It opens it up for Puck to take the title and whilst I like Puck, I think Van Empel had the title won so would be harsh to miss out due to a crash.

Good to see Persico back and going well, but she was all over the place, never seen so many mistakes/falls by a rider. She went from a comfortable 2nd place to barely scraping 4th though KB Vas lost even more places so not sure what happened there.

Another race missing a lot of ladies(No 777 at all) even if the likes of Persico/Rochette came back in. Would be good to see a race with all ladies present, though might require waiting to the Worlds and then you have Elite and U-23s races.

Didn't see this race last year and it seemed a great novel idea. Watching it today though, I am not sure about it as a race, just feels a bit gimmicky. I know why they are doing it, but as others pointed out, hard to sell as a olympic event when it is the only race on snow,
Yep. Last year's race was on snow. This year's race was on ice.

Reactions: TourOfSardinia
I cannot decide whether or not to like Val di Sole. It’s a course that truly puts the riders finest technical skills to the test. Any minute mistake and the rider is down or at least has to stop pedaling. Also it’s a rather dangerous course for a cyclocross event so potentially it will always deter certain riders. Then on the other hand both Vanthourenhout and Pieterse showed that it’s absolutely possible to ride this course and to ride it fast. Maybe it has its place in the World Cup?

Persico definitely had the engine, but skills wise she needs to work on them; from what I've seen of Italian courses, they don't look like they challenge you too much. I'm guessing Blanka Vas has come off a large training block, and possibly didn't wish to push in those conditions.

I hope it stays, it does have a place, riding in difficult conditions is part of being a good off-road rider. I thought this year's course layout was better, but last year's conditions with more snow was better. If it was up to me, I'd actually like to see another snow cross maybe a week after the Nationals in somewhere like Switzerland/France/Austria,/Germany, etc

Reactions: lemon cheese cake
Persico definitely had the engine, but skills wise she needs to work on them; from what I've seen of Italian courses, they don't look like they challenge you too much. I'm guessing Blanka Vas has come off a large training block, and possibly didn't wish to push in those conditions.

I hope it stays, it does have a place, riding in difficult conditions is part of being a good off-road rider. I thought this year's course layout was better, but last year's conditions with more snow was better. If it was up to me, I'd actually like to see another snow cross maybe a week after the Nationals in somewhere like Switzerland/France/Austria,/Germany, etc
Snow has always been part of cyclocross, maybe not the last few years but it wasn't ages ago when Lars Boom won in Heusden in a Winter Wonderland, Tabor had snow sometimes, Hoogerheide as well. The difference with Val di Sole is that these courses were snowy purely by chance, and they were still dependant on power rather than all skills and a bit of luck. After all Boom wasn't the most technical of riders but he won pretty handily, if I remember correctly.

I hope it stays, it does have a place, riding in difficult conditions is part of being a good off-road rider. I thought this year's course layout was better, but last year's conditions with more snow was better.
Thats how I feel about it too.
If it was up to me, I'd actually like to see another snow cross maybe a week after the Nationals in somewhere like Switzerland/France/Austria,/Germany, etc
Even if there is only one dedicated snow cross, it would be good to see it alternating with other locations. Obviously you have to have willing organisers though.

Reactions: jmdirt
I cannot decide whether or not to like Val di Sole. It’s a course that truly puts the riders finest technical skills to the test. Any minute mistake and the rider is down or at least has to stop pedaling. Also it’s a rather dangerous course for a cyclocross event so potentially it will always deter certain riders. Then on the other hand both Vanthourenhout and Pieterse showed that it’s absolutely possible to ride this course and to ride it fast. Maybe it has its place in the World Cup?

I would have loved if if studded tires were allowed.

Otherwise, nah, not really a fan. That said, if Pidcock and Wout were there it probably would have been more exciting. Vanthorenhout and PP were impressive, for sure, but it just felt like watching elephants on ice for the most part...

Reactions: lemon cheese cake
Interesting Strava file from Pidders. He's currently on Mallorca posting numbers and setting times of a supermutant. Bring on Wout and Mathieu in Gavere and Mol.
There's Strava, and then there's the cold hard facts of the races so far where Van Aert and Van der Poel were clearly stronger than Pidcock. Gavere could certainly bring him closer though, he needs races to be about Watts per kg to stand a chance, and in Gavere that's the case.

Further scans have shown no fractures for Van Empel, I think she can thank her lucky stars for that because from that first shot it definitely looked like something very serious.

There's Strava, and then there's the cold hard facts of the races so far where Van Aert and Van der Poel were clearly stronger than Pidcock. Gavere could certainly bring him closer though, he needs races to be about Watts per kg to stand a chance, and in Gavere that's the case.

Further scans have shown no fractures for Van Empel, I think she can thank her lucky stars for that because from that first shot it definitely looked like something very serious.
At 6.3w/kg i can see why he’s dropping MVDP on the mtb climbs but in cyclocross he’s just always gonna struggle against the top two.

Reactions: Axel Hangleck