Race Thread

Page 80 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'd say normally Kay and Vas should be up there. But Kay could struggle with the sand and her tendency to fall somewhat off later in a race.
Certainly. Both of those riders could be on the podium. However, the Dutch, much like the elite women, have strength in numbers, and most of them also podium candidates; Bakker, van Empel, van Alphen, Pieterse. Van Anrooij could also be a strong team-member.

The good thing about Vas is that she’s one of the best, so she should be on the podium at the very least.

I'll be interested to see what Vas can do; she already has an U23 silver medal at the MTB Worlds, behind Lecomte, but ahead of Alvarado on a climbing course. I think it's a course that probably isn't ideally suited to her, but she may be good enough to medal.

Reactions: Spine Concept
Again, you keep bringing up the numbers as if someone here contested them. I clearly explained myself in the post you quoted. Might want to read it again.

You seem to argue based on a false premise. No one said Mathieu had bad mentality. Wout just has better mentality and that is also provable by what I mentioned above. So if you’re for facts than be consistent.

Mathieu has a good mentality, Wout has better mentality.
Wout has very good technique, Mathieu has better technique.
Mathieu has very good power, Wout just has better (sustained) power.
Wout has good explosiveness, Mathieu has better explosiveness.

See how that works? The one argument doesn’t negate the other or isn’t a slate on the other rider in any way. Maybe that’s where you misunderstand my point.

I do agree that Mathieu seems to be able to dig deeper than most, if not anyone. Especially when he’s contesting the final of a race. He often comes over the line looking pale and almost vomiting. That’s definitely an admirable trait.

I’m a big fan of both riders. Wout for his never-say-die mentality and sheer power, Mathieu for his technique and explosiveness. Love to see them both ride and would be happy if either of them wins.
Okay SC. I don't know how you can say that it is "provable" that Wout is somehow mentally tougher than MVDP, and I don't get your logic at all, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I see them as two genetic freaks physically - both have their unique strengths, but overall they're pretty evenly matched physically. And over a huge sample of 166 cross races, one guy is 114-52 head to head. Yet somehow that guy has a lesser "mentality" (whatever that means) than they guy he consistently beats? Also, the guy with the lesser "mentality" has a better head to head record on the road (even after last season when he came in totally flat in a bizarre year) and has a reputation for never being counted out (Flanders '19 to get 4th -whereas Wout got 29th or something at Roubaix '19 under similar circumstances, Amstel Gold '19, stage 5 BB this year and then LBL the next day, etc.) Also, MVDP's technical superiority says a lot about his "mentality" as well. You have to be plenty mentally tough to be willing to take the risks he can and does take on fast, dangerous technical sections. Anyway, hope we see a good race tomorrow. Very hard one to call. If they end up having to do a lot of running on the beach, I tip Wout. If MVDP can ride most of the sand, I tip him. The great thing is no matter what happens, they'll be right back at it at SB, SR, Flanders and Roubaix. Hopefully it will take another 10 years to know which one is ultimately the better bike racer.

Okay SC. I don't know how you can say that it is "provable" that Wout is somehow mentally tougher than MVDP, and I don't get your logic at all, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I see them as two genetic freaks physically - both have their unique strengths, but overall they're pretty evenly matched physically. And over a huge sample of 166 cross races, one guy is 114-52 head to head. Yet somehow that guy has a lesser "mentality" (whatever that means) than they guy he consistently beats? Also, the guy with the lesser "mentality" has a better head to head record on the road (even after last season when he came in totally flat in a bizarre year) and has a reputation for never being counted out (Flanders '19 to get 4th -whereas Wout got 29th or something at Roubaix '19 under similar circumstances, Amstel Gold '19, stage 5 BB this year and then LBL the next day, etc.) Also, MVDP's technical superiority says a lot about his "mentality" as well. You have to be plenty mentally tough to be willing to take the risks he can and does take on fast, dangerous technical sections. Anyway, hope we see a good race tomorrow. Very hard one to call. If they end up having to do a lot of running on the beach, I tip Wout. If MVDP can ride most of the sand, I tip him. The great thing is no matter what happens, they'll be right back at it at SB, SR, Flanders and Roubaix. Hopefully it will take another 10 years to know which one is ultimately the better bike racer.
This is getting out of hand. The good thing in my case is that it’s pretty much a general concession among pundits and cycling fans that Wout has a better mentality. Also good thing in my case is that I can be partial being a true fan of both. So I’ll gladly agree to disagree on this one.

As long as the racing is fair and hopefully no decisive mechanicals than I’ll be happy for either one of them because you cannot hide on this course. The best man will win and be a worthy world champion.

It would be hilarious if after all of this analyzing and predicting based on only two possible winners it turns out to be someone else.

Last edited:
If Brand can win on this circuit then MVdP can too.
He should be able to manage that sand just fine.
Sure the circuit is not that fast but there's no deep mud.
The bridges? He's pretty good at them if I recall correctly.
Pidcock might beat him up that big bridge - but P. will done in
by the sand before he even gets to it....
That's a strange analogy. Brand is more a "Wout van Aert" type of rider, compared to Alvarado who is more a "Mathieu van der Poel" kind of rider. Brand "ok" technique with a huge engine.

But sure, Mathieu can win. But i don't really see how Brand's win is testament of that. If Wout doesn't screw up tactically like in Flanders, i give him the best chances. He has to keep pressure on Mathieu, and keep the pace high. If he grants Mathieu time to recuperate, Mathieu will take it. If it's "balls out" from start to finish, i think it suits van Aert more.

Last edited:
Reactions: TourOfSardinia
That's a strange analogy. Brand is more a "Wout van Aert" type of rider, compared to Alvarado who is more a "Mathieu van der Poel" kind of rider. Brand "ok" technique with a huge engine.

But sure, Mathieu can win. But i don't really see how Brand's win is testament of that. If Wout doesn't screw up tactically like in Flanders, i give him the best chances. He has to keep pressure on Mathieu, and keep the pace high. If he grants Mathieu time to recuperate, Mathieu will take it. If it's "balls out" from start to finish, i think it suits van Aert more.
#IRoot4Wout !

Oct 4, 2020
I'll be interested to see what Vas can do; she already has an U23 silver medal at the MTB Worlds, behind Lecomte, but ahead of Alvarado on a climbing course. I think it's a course that probably isn't ideally suited to her, but she may be good enough to medal.
Well she was second last year, so most likely she will want to win.

He would have been 3rd Belgian today. He should definitely have been selected, it's a crying shame and the first cracks in the "objectivity" of Vantourenhout. *** decision not to bring him and take cannon fodder instead. No disrespect to some of these guys, but the long term vision of taking some of them instead is laughable at best.

Nys is an excellent runner, and the most technical adept of all U23. He would definitely have had excellent placement going into the sand, but would have suffered on the hard sand sections.
As a light weight, Nys would not have had any chance today. And he was not selected based on his and others results, and the fact that he gave up too often. He was warned by Vanthourenhout he had to perform in the Belgian championship...... but Nys gave up that day too.

As predicted today is the only dry day of the month. That's probably a disadvantage for WVA, who won a cross with a lot of mud in Dendermonde. MvdP has the better statistics and a lot of wins on sand. It has to be between those two. I think Pidcock will become the third dog in the future, but this year is probably to early for him.
  1. MvdP
  2. WvA
  3. Pidcock
I don't think the other Belgians and Dutchmen have a chance to win, although a medal for one of them is possible.

Three triple world champions are starting today, but no one talks about the third. Zdenek Stybar seems to be past his peak at 35, and he hasn't focused on cyclocross lately.

Last edited:
What time is the race? Surprisingly enough I can't find the time nowhere, even on CN:mad:
Eurosport (EU) , despite advertising the event, only showed it recorded yesterday, with the usual tiresome breaks and mediocre commentary :mad: Rant over (keeping it civil here, I even ignore GCN)!

Reactions: Axel Hangleck
I think at this stage in his career, Pidcock is still course dependent; he's a good climber and very good technically. This seems to be a track for power and sand skills. Aerts and/or Sweeck may get ahead of him. Saying that, I would have said that year - and he finished 2nd.

ASK THE COMMUNITY