• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 71 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Blanka Vas is a good example (females as well as males) of the new CX generation. Technically skilled, multidisciplinary racer and with a “take no prisoner”-attitude. She will soon be a main contender at every race. It is great to see so much talent being nurtured through cyclocross and we should expect to see many of these riders achieving big things in road and MTB. It was no coincidence that Pidcock was holding up so well in Baal against MVDP and WVA. On a technical and difficult course he will always be very competitive.
I agree. Very refreshing watching young riders as Blanka Vas and Pidcock. No fear of attacking, even if they sometimes fall short in the end. At their young age, they just lack regularity. In one or two years they'll be on the same level of Alvarado, Worst, Brand for the woman on the one hand and vdPoel and Van Aert for man on the other.

Reactions: Barkintheeye
Meaning.... ?

Meaning: what do my own bike handling skills have to do with discussing a certain course?

Neither was the discussion about if the course was boring or not. Way to miss the point. I don't even know why you were quoting me to begin with.

Fwiw, I do ride a MTB, and I have ridden in deep mud. As a technically limited rider, I definitely prefer the deeper mud since it requires more raw power, and less speed means I lose less terrain in corners than on faster, slippery corners.

If you don't agree, fine, but at least bring some proper arguments since Nys and Van der Haar said the same thing as I did. Or are you going to dismiss their bike handling skills as well?

It's amazing how in the women's race, you see lapped riders not giving a damn about the front of the race. They just keep on riding on the best path, lol. For some reason, the top riders don't make a fuss about it. Well, until it sooner or later decides the outcome of a race.

Clipboard.gif

Meaning: what do my own bike handling skills have to do with discussing a certain course?

Neither was the discussion about if the course was boring or not. Way to miss the point. I don't even know why you were quoting me to begin with.

Fwiw, I do ride a MTB, and I have ridden in deep mud. As a technically limited rider, I definitely prefer the deeper mud since it requires more raw power, and less speed means I lose less terrain in corners than on faster, slippery corners.

If you don't agree, fine, but at least bring some proper arguments since Nys and Van der Haar said the same thing as I did. Or are you going to dismiss their bike handling skills as well?
Everything. Your quotes prove you have no idea what it means, riding in the mud. One of your quotes : "Technique was very negligible on this course, as every pro rider has the basic technical skills that were necessary here. So yeah, this was mostly all about power and endurance, which is also what I heard basically everybody say."
And yes, cyclocrossers always ride on the limit..... but don't crash always in a cyclocross. Van Kessel and Aerts crashed in a muddy downhill. Van Kessel crashed a second time, in the transition between paved and mud. But I think you had mud in your eyes at those moments. And several others crashed, but not on the live broadcast. "But no technical skills required on this course" according to "Flamin". And yes, I read different reactions from cyclocrosser indicating the course was difficult, fysically and technically.

Everything. Your quotes prove you have no idea what it means, riding in the mud. One of your quotes : "Technique was very negligible on this course, as every pro rider has the basic technical skills that were necessary here. So yeah, this was mostly all about power and endurance, which is also what I heard basically everybody say."
And yes, cyclocrossers always ride on the limit..... but don't crash always in a cyclocross. Van Kessel and Aerts crashed in a muddy downhill. Van Kessel crashed a second time, in the transition between paved and mud. But I think you had mud in your eyes at those moments. And several others crashed, but not on the live broadcast. "But no technical skills required on this course" according to "Flamin". And yes, I read different reactions from cyclocrosser indicating the course was difficult, fysically and technically.

Good for you. Since you continue to put words into my mouth, this is totally pointless:

"But no technical skills required on this course" according to "Flamin"

Really enjoyable to watch the ladies race at Hulst. It is definitely more “realistic” seeing the pro ladies compared to the men who makes everything look like a smooth ride in the park - which we all know to well not being the case.

Betsema rock solid performance. Brand coming under pressure and crumbles a little. Worst better than in a long time and Blanka Vas vs Vos (and Sanne Cant) underscoring the massive difference between the old and new generation of female cyclocrossers.

Agree, it's inspiring to see a master craftsman at work. I just wish he had better competition...

Seeing as -bar yesterday- he hasn’t been as good as he was last year, I had hoped for more competition as well. Gavere and Dendermonde were the only races where he got beat because one rider was clearly better. You could excuse his loss in Gavere by saying it was only his second race of the season. So we’re left with Dendermonde.

Wout has been a bit unlucky, but honestly except for Dendermonde I never had the impending feeling that he was going to beat Mathieu compared to the other way around.

I honestly think that Wout is the only rider in the CX peloton that can beat Mathieu at his best, but only by also being at his best and with a somewhat favorable course.

In a true mud-fest he’ll always get one more star than Mathieu for me. Problem is, there aren’t many courses like Dendermonde in the CX calendar and much depends on the weather too. Toon Aerts can also do some damage if he’s at his absolute best in a mud-fest.