• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 82 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
How much did WvA lose in the puncture, 20-25 seconds maybe? I think VDP is proving to be the stronger one today regardless.

By my count he lost 25 seconds -- was up by about 15 and came out of the pits down 9.

Riding a third of a lap with a puncture will definitely take some energy out of you. Had Mvdp not crashed and Wout not flatted we might have seen a real duel. But that's CX for you. And there's still enough time left for the unexpected...

Edit: So maybe riding on a deflating tire for a long time...no fun.

Barring a massive crash MvDP will get his fourth world title. Shame about the puncture for WvA, I hate mechanicals at such occasions. However Mathieu has ridden further and further away even after Wout’s bike change.

Idk how long Wout has had to ride on a flat, that also takes a lot of energy that would have otherwise been spent on staying away from Mathieu. So that has to be taken into account as well ofc.

Anyway, like I said earlier this course doesn’t lie and you cannot hide. If you’re the best it will show. Mathieu has been the best in the end.

Reactions: Pantani_lives
Barring a massive crash MvDP will get his fourth world title. Shame about the puncture for WvA, I hate mechanicals at such occasions. However Mathieu has ridden further and further away even after Wout’s bike change.

Like I said earlier this course doesn’t lie and you cannot hide. If you’re the best it will show. Mathieu has been the best today.
You don't only lose a lot of time, you burn through a lot more energy as well. He had been riding nearly half a lap on a puncture.

Such a pity that we hardly ever get to see a real fight.
It was interesting for 3 laps. Mathieu was very lucky three times. He easily could easily have injured himself, his bike could have been damaged, and Wout punctured very soon after.

Anyway, we'll never know how it would have unfolded without the crash and the puncture, van der Poel unfazed by his crash, that alone was very impressive.

Reactions: Spine Concept