• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 109 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Clipboard.jpg

been noticing some Herbalife advertising round the courses recently.
is it not illegal in Belgium yet?

nothing like promoting pyramid schemes. They seem to like being involved in sports, my football team Northampton Town got caught out using it, but that was like 10 years ago.
I remember seeing something on twitter asking a similar thing and I think the result was a court decided it was but the appeal court said it wasn't.

Brand has dominated this season, but Vos might be favourite for the Worlds with that performance. Course in the US is similar, if it was more of a power course, would favour Brand. I think the race I might be looking forward to most is the U-23 Women, Is Vas riding the U-23 or Senior race?

On other contenders, Is Betsema running out of gas after a long season or is she soft-pedalling? Alvardo seems to have regressed again after seeming to have come back to some form which would be a pity. Persico looked good today.

If conditions are similar to today, then I can't see Vos being beaten; all her World Cup wins this season have been when conditions have been fairly fast. I'm not sure how Brand can beat her. However, if the weather turns, and we get a mud-fest, then Brand can beat her - and Honsinger could be a challenger.

And yet another great race from young Puck; the only thing she lacks is endurance....she has everything else and is technically superior to the others.

Reactions: Barkintheeye
If conditions are similar to today, then I can't see Vos being beaten; all her World Cup wins this season have been when conditions have been fairly fast. I'm not sure how Brand can beat her. However, if the weather turns, and we get a mud-fest, then Brand can beat her - and Honsinger could be a challenger.

And yet another great race from young Puck; the only thing she lacks is endurance....she has everything else and is technically superior to the others.
Vos is looking great and I think if you stick her in the front group at the moment she'll win 8-9/10 times.

Is Vas racing in the elites at the worlds like she did at the euros? If so, I'd say Pieterse and van Empel are the top favourites like we saw in Flamanville. If like conditions are like the world cup in Fayetteville, then I'd say Pieterse would be better, but if it's drier or comes down to a sprint I'd say van Empel. I wouldnt say Pieterse's endurance is a problem just her sprint as shown against Brand and van Empel these past two weeks.

Hoogerheide is definitely one of my favourite courses due to the way its raced. It's also far from the most interesting or technically challenging, but it always seems to catch riders out. The only memorable 'feature' used to be that hairpin around the tree, but that seems to have changed and goes and is now ridable. It looks like they've moved it down a tree.

Now its only really that staircase and camber that were added following the modernisation of the road system. The camber has caused issues and even decided races and world cup overalls previously. But everywhere whatever the conditions there are always little mistakes or slide outs on the turns that have a little camber of rut. Even the field seems to cause issues due to normally being quite soft and ruts throwing riders in the wrong directions. Id assume the amount of issues one sees over the years when hopping the hurdles is caused by uneven ground from past editions when its been muddy, as it's an issue seen every year whether it's the electric ones one or wooden planks.

Reactions: Barkintheeye
Looks like Pidcock is lacking that snappiness required at the start again. I assume it's due to having a big endurance block with the road team, but it does put him at a disadvantage loosing positions and ending up in a position that's probably equivalent to being gridded last on the 2nd row or first on the third row.
Ineos have never known how to train 1 day racers correctly. Their trainers focus on what's needed for Stage races...that's why they've normally performed really poorly in the spring classics. Hopefully Tom will be better next weekend after freshening up some.

Ineos have never known how to train 1 day racers correctly. Their trainers focus on what's needed for Stage races...that's why they've normally performed really poorly in the spring classics. Hopefully Tom will be better next weekend after freshening up some.
It’s not surprising he’s lost some snap after an endurance training camp, but two races in two days should have done him the world of good and now he has a week to tune up and fully focus. Lots of other contenders though so we should be in for a good race

Reactions: Wyndbrook
did pidcock lose that race on purpose?

said with a smirk....'oh my condition will be good next week... its fine"

For a while it looked like Pidcock deliberately let up and had Iserbyt come up to him and he appeared to be in full control for a possible last lap sprint but… no. He was clearly tired and couldn’t really match Iserbyt when the attack came. This was not what he was looking for before the Worlds.

Van der Haar could be a top contender but I don’t see him as a race favorite, as I do not with Vanthourenhout either. They will be up there but it will be a battle between Iserbyt and Pidcock. Possibly possibly also Hermans.

Unless the weather turns things upside down and it will be a mudfest. Then it’s much more open…

Reactions: lemon cheese cake
It would have been very stupid by Pidcock if he did in fact have the legs to do better. Now 4 Belgians and a Dutchman will go to Fayetteville believing they actually have a realistic shot, knowing it's now or never for them. That belief will turn into determination. He's lucky Hermans is out with Covid, because else he would have thought the same, especially since he already won in Fayetteville last October.

Reactions: lemon cheese cake

TRENDING THREADS