• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 112 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just watched it back again, it really is Vanthourenhout that lost it for the belgians specifically from...
  1. the climb on lap 4 where he attacked, stringing the group out, then
  2. let Pidcock divebomb him in the corner before he then caused Iserbyt to crash on that technical bit and finally
  3. couldn't get on Pidcock's wheel after that.

all three points together contributed to the eventual gap that Pidcock got without having to launch a massive attack to get away from them.

It seems it's not as surprising as it seems. Wanty-Intermarche weren't that bothered about the CX side of the team.
As Van Kessel & Hermans have ridden on the road for Wanty, will be interesting to see what they do. Mein rides on the road for Canyon-Sungod in the UK.
One assumes Zoe has got plenty of interest from teams for when she's allowed to sign for a pro team - seeing as she enjoys, and wants to continue CX I can think of a team which might suit.

Bäckstedt will probably sign for Trek, like her sister, or SD Worx (there are of course other possibilities like Jumbo-Visma or Alpecin/Plantur-Pura), so I doubt this development will have any impact on her future, unless QS actually invests in a women's road team.

Bäckstedt will probably sign for Trek, like her sister, or SD Worx (there are of course other possibilities like Jumbo-Visma or Alpecin/Plantur-Pura), so I doubt this development will have any impact on her future, unless QS actually invests in a women's road team.

Yeah, that's the team I was imagining - and riding for Trek-Baloise in the winter. She wants to continue to race CX, so I'm not sure about Jumbo-Visma, they don't seem particularly pro CX, but tolerate Van Aert & Vos doing it. Teunissen, the Van Dijke brothers seem to have given it up.

We know, we all saw you
MtDEHpE.jpg

Ha, I was going to make a reference to that guy. What was going on there? he was there every lap looking in the direction of the camera and never looking at the race.

Reactions: postmanhat

It seems it's not as surprising as it seems. Wanty-Intermarche weren't that bothered about the CX side of the team.
As Van Kessel & Hermans have ridden on the road for Wanty, will be interesting to see what they do. Mein rides on the road for Canyon-Sungod in the UK.
One assumes Zoe has got plenty of interest from teams for when she's allowed to sign for a pro team - seeing as she enjoys, and wants to continue CX I can think of a team which might suit.
I'd say Backstedt has loads of choice where she wants to go as others say. A good choice would be to follow her sister and shadow the likes of Brand andd van Anrooij. If she steps up to the elite team from the development side (Acrog Balen bc) and Tormans move to quickstep then she might be able to join NXTG Racing as they are now connected with Lefevre and Experza.

Reading the article that Wilfred Peter's is touted as a potential manager, cannot see Bart Wellens and him having a working relationship.

And now it seems almost certain that Hermans, van Kessel, Verstrynge and Wyseure will not be a part of this change as they are supposedly very close to Alpecin-Fenix. Their manager said that Verstrynge and Wyseure will announce their new team next month (with imediate effect) while Hermans and van Kessel will continue with Intermarché until the end of the season but are very likely to go to the same team as the younger belgians.

Reactions: postmanhat
Yes, I saw that on Twitter yesterday; it's all a bit of a mess - and I suspect there's a few more twists in the plot. And I wonder if there'll be a fight about Zoe Backstedt. I'm sure Magnus will make sure she goes to the right team.

And some other news, it appears Pidcock hasn't yet extended with Ineos; would be a surprise if he moved - but stranger things have happened.

Pidcock to QS? Hence Patrick Lefevre takes over a cross team? Or is this to far fetched?

How many World Tour teams would allow him to continue to mix three disciplines? Equipment sponsor Specialized would love to have him back on their bikes.

Strangely, late last year there was an 'Ask Tom' on the Ineos Twitter account; I recall a few questions regarding moving to Bora - I'd like to know where that came from.

How many World Tour teams would allow him to continue to mix three disciplines? Equipment sponsor Specialized would love to have him back on their bikes.

Strangely, late last year there was an 'Ask Tom' on the Ineos Twitter account; I recall a few questions regarding moving to Bora - I'd like to know where that came from.

Well QS is a Belgian team, Cyclo is very popular in Belgium so no problem there. WVA and MVP have proven that specific cross training and races during the winter seem to be a ligit training method.

Mtb is something else. I can't see much teams being to happy with it but if it gets you a rider like Pidcock (or less likely MVP), it might be worth it!

I personally think that Lefevre has now seen 3 world class riders come from the cross world, not to mention a few young cross talents with potential on the road as well (Baby Nys), and that Lefevre hopes to spot some new talent early on by having his own cross, womans and youth team.

Reactions: Monte Serra
Yes, Gavere is a fabulous course; a true test, with a bit of everything to challenge the riders.

In other news, looks like Koksijde is stepping back from the World Cup, and moving to the X20 Trophy. That they've made this decision reflects badly on the World Cup; it's a classic event that should be there, but they can't make it pay.

I think the World Cup needs a rethink.......

Reactions: lemon cheese cake
Has anyone seen any rumours written that Fem van Empel might be moving to Jumbo Visma? In commentary Marty Mcdonald seemed to suggest that could be the case, but i've not seen anything in the likes of Veldritkrant and Wielerflits or shared by Cyclocross24 and Cyclocrosss.

I read about it in an opinion article posted this week in Wielerflits, I believe. Something about the rise of the World Tour teams in the sport.

World Cup 2022/2023

09/10 - Waterloo, USA
16/10 - Fayetteville, USA
23/10 - Tabor, CZE
30/10 - Rucphen, NED
13/11 - Beekse Bergen, NED
20/11 - Overijse, BEL
27/11 - Hulst, NED
04/12 - Antwerpen, BEL
11/12 - TBC
17/12 - Val di Sole, ITA
26/12 - Dendermonde, BEL
08/01 - Zonhoven, BEL
22/01 - Benidorm, SPA (well played to catch the ones who go in training camps before Worlds)
29/01 - Besançon, FRA

Not overly impressed with that calendar; Namur is hosting the Euros, Hoogerheide the Worlds. Koksijde have declined to host. Zonhoven now in January? Dendermonde?? Really?? It was okay for a Covid season, but shouldn't be in a World Cup.
One hopes the new courses are interesting and not just flat & featureless park courses. And still too few countries for a World Cup.

Reactions: Monte Serra

TRENDING THREADS