• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 131 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Gcn/Eurosport are good at that. Sometimes they cut the commentator off mid sentence while they're still summarising a bit of the race. It's annoying as well as it isn't they were pressed for time today due to another broadcast considering Macdonald has already said goodbye to the tv viewers.

I find it pretty annoying; we had interviews with the women's 1-2-3, but not the men's. It shouldn't happen.....

Pidcock post race:

“At the start I had a gearbox problem and had to chase, my shoe was also loose and therefore it was difficult to ride. Today I was even more in my natural habitat than yesterday. The layout is similar to many courses in the UK where I raced as a youngster, today I'd give it an 8 out of 10 for my second race.
I can be happy - especially now I am wearing this rainbow jersey every day. And Michael proved why he won the European championship. He was very good today.”

Just seen the official schedule:

27.11 - Hulst World Cup
03.12 - Boom Superprestige
04.12 - Antwerpen World Cup
17.12 - Val di Sole World Cup
23.12 - Mol Exact Cross
26.12 - Gavere World Cup
27.12 - Heusden-Zolder Superprestige
28.12 - Diegem Superprestige
30.12 - Loenhout Exact Cross
03.01 - Herentals X2O Trofee
05.01 - Koksijde X2O Trofee
08.01 - Zonhoven World Cup
22.01 - Benidorm World Cup
TBD 28.01/29.01 (Hamme/Besançon/Rest)
05.02 Hoogerheide WCH

Will face WVA in Antwerpen, Essen, Gavere, Heusden-Zolder, Diegem, Loenhout and probably in Herentals, Koksijde, Zonhoven, Benidorm and Hoogerheide.
Van Der Poels schedule in case anyone hasn't seen his thread in the Road forum.

Overijse proved exceptionally challenging and lots of riders literally fell back.

Lap #2 by Pidcock was MVDP quality. Then later came some mistakes meanwhile Vanthourenhout kept it clean and together. Fair win by Michael and strong performance by Pidcock.

Also very nice to see Ronhaar and Nys challenge Sweek and Van der Haar for the third spot. Good performance also by Nieuwenhouse. Definitely a good day for Trek Baloise.

One of the best races of the year.

Vanthourenhout is having a great season so far. Biggest change i believe we're seeing is mentally. He seems to be able/willing to go deeper and keep fighting more than before. He was always a "good" rider, just not a worldbeater. Very solid CX allrounder, technically competent.

I expected Pidcock would 've faded harder than he did. Even last year he faded significantly in his first CX races, so now after his unfortunate start to the race, i kind of expected him to pay the price in the 2nd part of the race, but he didn't really. I think without his issues in the first lap, he wouldn't have allowed Vanthourenhout back into the race. I think Pidcock has made another step since last year.

Nys also surprised me. Strange that he seems to be better at the harder races than in the fast paced ones. Better than Kamp, Ronhaar, Verstrynge... who are all older than him. Faded a bit at the end, but that was quite understandable. If he keeps progressing like this, he might get a few nice podiums on specific courses by the time the season ends.

Watch out, there’s a special player coming to town: Romain Gregoire. It's likely he'll stay in France for the majority of the time, but the World Championships are on his program. Remains to be seen how much he can do to get a decent starting position, but Thibau and Ron Pimhaar should keep an eye on him. The kid's a strange animal.

Reactions: postmanhat
As a CX rider, how is his technique?
I can’t lie: I have no idea, lol. As far as the road goes, he is naturally gifted and he descends and corners like a mad man, but that’s far from a U-turn in the mud. Last year, with 3 crosses or so under his belt for the season, he did become U23 national champion in CX whilst still being somewhat of a junior, pummeling the likes of Delbove and Huby. It’s not much, but it’s a start.

Watch out, there’s a special player coming to town: Romain Gregoire. It's likely he'll stay in France for the majority of the time, but the World Championships are on his program. Remains to be seen how much he can do to get a decent starting position, but Thibau and Ron Pimhaar should keep an eye on him. The kid's a strange animal.

Is that Pim Ronhaar's evil alter-ego?

This year there has been a clear divide between the four top riders (LvdH, MVanth, LSweeck and EIserbyt) and the rest. First few laps other riders have been up there but in the end these four have showed superior endurance and ultimately that's what counts.

Last weekend Pidcock's performance seems to indicate that there is yet another level. What's your take on this and the return of MVDP and WVA? Will they (once again) crush it or has Sweeck and the others raised the level and we shall see some even races with +7 riders?

This year there has been a clear divide between the four top riders (LvdH, MVanth, LSweeck and EIserbyt) and the rest. First few laps other riders have been up there but in the end these four have showed superior endurance and ultimately that's what counts.

Last weekend Pidcock's performance seems to indicate that there is yet another level. What's your take on this and the return of MVDP and WVA? Will they (once again) crush it or has Sweeck and the others raised the level and we shall see some even races with +7 riders?
Sweeck, Van der Haar and Vanthourenhout are currently as good as they're gonna get. Iserbyt will improve beyond their level, Pidock will improve even more. And if the Vans get into their groove after 2 or so races, they will win everything either of them bothers showing up for.

It appears that the majority of the Kortrijk course will be ridden in an opposite direction than the previous editions, with only the Vlaskaai section being ridden the same way. So now the heavier parts (if it's muddy) will be in the first half of the lap and not on the last).

I didn't find the layout of Antwerpen for this year, but if it's the same as last year's cancelled edition it will also be ridden in the opposite direction, which should put the sandy parts in the beginning of the lap. I don't get why they changed drastically the course from the one that gave us the epic 2016 race. That should be the standard for this race, it still is one of the best races I've ever seen.

Sweeck, Van der Haar and Vanthourenhout are currently as good as they're gonna get. Iserbyt will improve beyond their level, Pidock will improve even more. And if the Vans get into their groove after 2 or so races, they will win everything either of them bothers showing up for.

I am thinking the same but I hope I will be proven wrong. It would be nice if there would be a big tussle between the top riders. Then again given how Pidcock just swept through the whole field in just about one lap...

I think the thing that will stop Iserbyt is himself and the Sciatica

I didn't find the layout of Antwerpen for this year, but if it's the same as last year's cancelled edition it will also be ridden in the opposite direction, which should put the sandy parts in the beginning of the lap. I don't get why they changed drastically the course from the one that gave us the epic 2016 race. That should be the standard for this race, it still is one of the best races I've ever seen.
I was looking to go and watch this race and had a look for the course and the only one I can see is from last year's cancelled edition on quite a broken website.
https://www.sport.be/worldcupantwerpen/nl/info/

Reactions: jmdirt
Speaking of course maps, here is the ones for Hulst: View: https://twitter.com/UCIcyclocrossWC/status/1595418291618533377?t=d_1PtF5eq52Us90OVugGTg&s=19

Not much change other than the hurdles from after the finish to being before the finish. If it's the same womens top 3 as the last 2 races or anyone else comes to the finish with Pieterse and van Empel, then they're gonna need to be ahead at this point.

Also judging by pictures they've still got that hairpin onto an offcamber section quite close to the start so they'll definitely be first lap congestion like last year.

Not much change other than the hurdles from after the finish to being before the finish. If it's the same women's top 3 as the last 2 races or anyone else comes to the finish with Pieterse and van Empel, then they're gonna need to be ahead at this point.

Yes; apart from having better form than the others, them two are also far better technically, and the hurdles are no issue to them.

Reactions: jmdirt

I hope that the guys who are riding well at the front now will give MvdP and WvA a battle.

TRENDING THREADS