• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 135 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I agree it's mainly younger riders and a few 'part timers' who are missing out Saturday races, but there is bound to be an impact withe the now significantly greater number of world cup races, due to cancellations last year we have not yet had a full season with the planned total yet.
Will be interesting to see how the latter WC races in Spain and France fare.

I agree it's mainly younger riders and a few 'part timers' who are missing out Saturday races, but there is bound to be an impact withe the now significantly greater number of world cup races, due to cancellations last year we have not yet had a full season with the planned total yet.
Will be interesting to see how the latter WC races in Spain and France fare.
I think the Benidorm race should be full of a large amount of the top names. They've designed that world cup around the fact many riders will be on a training camp in Spain around that time of year. Last season I think Brand and others were training there at the spot that race takes up (Flamanville last season) while I think Pieterse raced Flamanville sandwiched in between 2 one week camps in Spain.

Ineos announced PFPs december schedule, with the next three World Cups excluding Val di Sole and the next three Superprestige rounds. I can't remember seeing a full schedule for Pidcock but I'd assume he'll have a similar list.

I think the Benidorm race should be full of a large amount of the top names. They've designed that world cup around the fact many riders will be on a training camp in Spain around that time of year. Last season I think Brand and others were training there at the spot that race takes up (Flamanville last season) while I think Pieterse raced Flamanville sandwiched in between 2 one week camps in Spain.

Ineos announced PFPs december schedule, with the next three World Cups excluding Val di Sole and the next three Superprestige rounds. I can't remember seeing a full schedule for Pidcock but I'd assume he'll have a similar list.
Do we think PFP will get up to speed pretty quickly? She’s obviously got the talent and previous in cyclocross but these u23 generation are super quick.

Do we think PFP will get up to speed pretty quickly? She’s obviously got the talent and previous in cyclocross but these u23 generation are super quick.

I'd be very surprised if she can challenge the new generation. Maybe against Alvardo, Van Heijden, Betsema and Brand but even that would be a tall feat. She was quite a bit behind in Namur.

I'd never write her off; she is the absolute master at peaking at Worlds....and uses the races before to gauge her form as well as that of her opponents. She may have been a bit behind in Namur. but she was further behind in races before Les Gets.....

Absolutely. In MTB over the last 2-3 seasons, she's mainly/exclusively focussed on the big Championships. TBH, I find it a little bit annoying, but maybe she has her reasons in terms of injuries/illness at the wrong time of the season? Really interested to see if she can pull it off in CX this year though. And whatever else you think about them, Ineos have a pretty good history of getting their riders to peak for their main goal.

Neither of the Cannondale riders are participating this weekend. Honsinger hasn't ridden for two weeks, and Backstedt skipped last Sunday in Hulst. OTOH, the latest dominant Dutch woman, Molengraaf, has already chosen to ride with the elites in Antwerp.

I think Honsinger is in the USA and has raced last weekend.

She'll probably stay there for a little while as the USA National Championships will be held next week.

Neither of the Cannondale riders are participating this weekend. Honsinger hasn't ridden for two weeks, and Backstedt skipped last Sunday in Hulst. OTOH, the latest dominant Dutch woman, Molengraaf, has already chosen to ride with the elites in Antwerp.
Backstedt is also in the USA on a pre season camp with the team. Molengraaf also rode in Hulst, which juniors can do when there isn't a junior WC on. The Holmgren sisters did something similar in the US rounds and Backstedt did so at a couple last season.

I guess with both Backstedt and Honsinger doing an extensive road programme in Europe they've got to watch out for the 90 day Schengen rule.

Backstedt is also in the USA on a pre season camp with the team. Molengraaf also rode in Hulst, which juniors can do when there isn't a junior WC on. The Holmgren sisters did something similar in the US rounds and Backstedt did so at a couple last season.

I guess with both Backstedt and Honsinger doing an extensive road programme in Europe they've got to watch out for the 90 day Schengen rule.
Surely there’s some sort of longer EU visa for pro athletes?

The ghost of Nick Drake is commenting on the Women's Elite Race with Marty on Eurosport.... Cool!

And 'the day is done' for Lucinda Brand.

original.jpg

Interesting women's race. The first time Vas dropped off it seemed like she'd sort of fallen asleep which maybe contributed to the mistake in the sand. Having to chase back on then pushed her too far. Van Anrooij looking a little weaker than previous weeks, but maybe she was keeping a bit back for tomorrows race. van Alphen looked strong today and I think i've now finally got an idea of the difference between van Alphen and van der Heijden. They're almost identical! Betsema was just standard Betsema and rode like a diesel.

Shame about van der Poel's crash, but good to see he got back on an was able to get back to quite a decent finish. Pidcock does seem to be slightly above van der Haar, Iserbyt, etc. but it's interesting the others were able to gain some time back on him right at the end like in Kortrijk.

He crashes on his knees all the time...focus!
He's always pushing and I feel his crashes are often ones where he slides out as he finds (and passes) the limit. One naturally puts ones arms out to steady oneself meaning thats often the first point of impact on the ground, but also his knee is another first point that contacts the ground first due it being obviously closer to the ground.

Reactions: Bolder

TRENDING THREADS