• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 176 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't think the Development team is neccesarily a development team like the ones for FDJ, Jumbo, Sunweb, etc. are. This is more a team that comes under the same banner of Alpecin Deceunick that has younger/less experienced road racers with some who don't want to do the big major world tour or proseries races. This seems similar with the women's Fenix Deceunick team, which is why I was wondering a couple of pages back why someone like Pieterse was in the Worldteam, whereas someone like Laura Suessemilch was in the 'development team' having a fair amount of road racing, and started the Tour de France last year.

Betsema pretty much ran away with the race today in Zonnebeke. If Norbert Riberolle got a cleaner start it may have been slightly closer. The men's race was much more exciting with a group of 7 riders being virtually inseparable for 7 of the 9 laps. Merlier got away after powerful mud section and then no mistake on the final camber/ditch with 1.25 laps to go.

I don't think the Development team is neccesarily a development team like the ones for FDJ, Jumbo, Sunweb, etc. are. This is more a team that comes under the same banner of Alpecin Deceunick that has younger/less experienced road racers with some who don't want to do the big major world tour or proseries races. This seems similar with the women's Fenix Deceunick team, which is why I was wondering a couple of pages back why someone like Pieterse was in the Worldteam, whereas someone like Laura Suessemilch was in the 'development team' having a fair amount of road racing, and started the Tour de France last year.

Regarding Süßemilch, she has mostly excelled on the track, so I assume that she will be using most of the year to try and make a comeback there to get selected for the Paris Olympics. Both she, MTBer Ronja Eibl and Imogen Cotter, who were all injured during some/all of last season, have been placed in the devo team (for now). It might also be a question of salary, since Pieterse is probably earning a WWT wage anyway, while the other three might not.

Should be some good battles in a few of the non-elite races. In particular, I'm interested if the Holmgrens can finish anywhere close to Molengraaf in the women's juniors.
They could, 2nd and 3d on 5 seconds. Molengraaf still won. They're probably close to her in terms of power, but she's just technically really good. Puck even thanks her for her tips on winning the Dutch nationals in that recon video.

Reactions: jono
One wonders which teams have their eyes on her, she's also pretty useful on the MTB; Alpecin would be a good match, especially with Puck there. And you always fear the Holmgrens will be lost to CX unless they're signed up by one of the major CX teams.
It's a possibility, but their father is the cx head with the national federation so the cross lineage is there. I'd imagine for the next few years we see a combined MTB and CX program for them.

TRENDING THREADS