• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Radio Shack threats

May 23, 2010
Visit site
"" FORT WORTH -- Eight years after approving an incentive package worth as much as $96 million over 30 years to help RadioShack build a new downtown headquarters, the City Council approved $10.7 million in tax rebates to keep the company in Fort Worth.

Council members voted 6-3 to approve the deal, a rare public split. Council members in the majority said they approved it to keep RadioShack, with its 1,100 employees and its $94 million payroll, from leaving for another city. Last year, the company threatened to relocate and said it was exploring offers from other cities.'''

more
http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/06/15/2268121/radioshack-tax-rebates-approved.html

City Council should have told them to stop their EPO'd sports program if they needed to save money so bad.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
redtreviso said:
"" FORT WORTH -- Eight years after approving an incentive package worth as much as $96 million over 30 years to help RadioShack build a new downtown headquarters, the City Council approved $10.7 million in tax rebates to keep the company in Fort Worth.

Council members voted 6-3 to approve the deal, a rare public split. Council members in the majority said they approved it to keep RadioShack, with its 1,100 employees and its $94 million payroll, from leaving for another city. Last year, the company threatened to relocate and said it was exploring offers from other cities.'''

more
http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/06/15/2268121/radioshack-tax-rebates-approved.html

City Council should have told them to stop their EPO'd sports program if they needed to save money so bad.

And people wonder why LA is such an a$$hole bully. It's the culture he and the rest of the cycling world move in: corporate, and therefore public, money. Protectionism is part of the game, along with bribery, threats and graft.

Lance is the character the cycling world had to have (and has to remove).

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
redtreviso said:

more

While stuff like this is annoying... it's pretty much par for the course.

We have a BMW plant near where I live where they got ridiculous tax breaks to attract and keep a plant that employs 1000 people in the area. Pretty much every major operation that will be hiring more then a couple of hundred employees gets kickbacks like this from local governments.

Heck, even WALMART does this in small towns. They demand tax breaks to put a store in a small town... and if they get turned down, they'll put stores just across the county/city line on either side of the town... thus still destroying local retail establishments but not giving the city/county any tax revenue.

There's no real reason to single out Radioshack for this... it's just how business is done in the US at the moment.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Agree with kurtinsc here. Nothing different about RS. This is exactly how business is done in the U.S.

Descriptively, you're correct, but widespread doping is how cyclists presently win races and we're all protesting that around here.

Whilst big business isn't doing anything illegal in this regard, there's a strong, almost watertight case that they're not operating in the common good. In fact, in collusion with sympathetic government, they're actively dismantling communities and producing what the French call the exclus out of all of us.

I don't imagine anyone here will protest this much; American culture is wedded to the concept of liberty, even the kind that actively destroys.

It's a wonder anyone here objects to the likes LA's deception; he's a marvellous exponent of real politik - probably the best sport has ever seen and is therefore the ultimate corporate identity; the warrior, the killer, the winner.

If we accept that kind of behaviour with our corporations, why are we outraged when the individuals who represent them act the same way?

This was your 'thought for the day.' Normal service will be resumed after these messages from our sponsers.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
While stuff like this is annoying... it's pretty much par for the course.

We have a BMW plant near where I live where they got ridiculous tax breaks to attract and keep a plant that employs 1000 people in the area. Pretty much every major operation that will be hiring more then a couple of hundred employees gets kickbacks like this from local governments.

Heck, even WALMART does this in small towns. They demand tax breaks to put a store in a small town... and if they get turned down, they'll put stores just across the county/city line on either side of the town... thus still destroying local retail establishments but not giving the city/county any tax revenue.

There's no real reason to single out Radioshack for this... it's just how business is done in the US at the moment.

Worse than that..Walmart and some other big box stores make a deal to not pay sales tax but they collect it..Then they can get by on ZERO profit margin and still make 6%.. Competing business that would be lucky to operate at 5% have no chance. As for Radio Shack..They have already sold the property that they HAD to have so many incentives to build on..

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
CycloErgoSum said:
Descriptively, you're correct, but widespread doping is how cyclists presently win races and we're all protesting that around here.

Whilst big business isn't doing anything illegal in this regard, there's a strong, almost watertight case that they're not operating in the common good. In fact, in collusion with sympathetic government, they're actively dismantling communities and producing what the French call the exclus out of all of us.

I don't imagine anyone here will protest this much; American culture is wedded to the concept of liberty, even the kind that actively destroys.

It's a wonder anyone here objects to the likes LA's deception; he's a marvellous exponent of real politik - probably the best sport has ever seen and is therefore the ultimate corporate identity; the warrior, the killer, the winner.

If we accept that kind of behaviour with our corporations, why are we outraged when the individuals who represent them act the same way?

This was your 'thought for the day.' Normal service will be resumed after these messages from our sponsers.

I don't disagree with you.

But Radioshack is far from the worst offender in regards to this sort of thing. They are relatively benign in how they operate in this arena.

If you want to go after a corporation for this sort of thing, I suggest targeting Walmart... not Radioshack. A comparison would be that Radioshack is a cyclist taking amphetimines, while Walmart is a cyclist taking EPO, steroids, HGH and using blood transfulsions.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Companies in the US basically hate everyone.. Board of Directors mentality..They hate the shareholders except for themselves. They hate the employees because they only see their pay as something they would rather keep for themselves..They surely don't like their customers, who are always too few or don't pay enough or need to be air conditioned etc. Self interest trumps all..

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
CycloErgoSum said:
And people wonder why LA is such an a$$hole bully. It's the culture he and the rest of the cycling world move in: corporate, and therefore public, money. Protectionism is part of the game, along with bribery, threats and graft.

Lance is the character the cycling world had to have (and has to remove).

we live in a welfare culture, i realize people love to bash lance's sponsors (and I do too!), but if we could get to a point where society is adequately revolted by those walking around with their hand out all the time then maybe they would stop. Until then, they aren't stopping at all. It's called taking care of your own business. We don't do that anymore.

I guess if I have any further comments it's going to have to go into our ever thrilling politics thread....:rolleyes:

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Mainerider said:
SOP in corporate America. Trying to link this kind of stuff to the doping culture in cycling or LA is a bit of a stretch.

Not really..Win at any cost. or win then run before you get caught. Like the CEO who wants to lay off all of their employees because wall street likes the reduction in labor expenses. (and his friends on the board just gave him 10 million stock options).Never frikin mind that there is no one left to do the business make the sales call or develop the next widget.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Mainerider said:
SOP in corporate America. Trying to link this kind of stuff to the doping culture in cycling or LA is a bit of a stretch.

Agreed. Sometimes it seems 'Hating Lance' needs to be a boardgame like 6 degrees of separation or Trivial Pursuit where the player connects anything distasteful with Lance in the least amount of steps.

Problem here is it lacks any uniqueness.

As this forum is so fond of saying - Fail.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
alberto.legstrong said:
we live in a welfare culture, i realize people love to bash lance's sponsors (and I do too!), but if we could get to a point where society is adequately revolted by those walking around with their hand out all the time then maybe they would stop. Until then, they aren't stopping at all. It's called taking care of your own business. We don't do that anymore.

I guess if I have any further comments it's going to have to go into our ever thrilling politics thread....:rolleyes:

You should read some history as to why/how the welfare state was formed to begin with back during FDR's presidency. You might be suprised that "revolted by" wasn't the key issue... it was "preventing a revolt". There are a lot more have-nots then haves in the world... and if the have-nots get a small enough piece of the pie... the haves end up suffering big time. This isn't so much politics as history. The point of the welfare-state is to keep the have-nots content enough to not start killing the haves.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
redtreviso said:
Not really..Win at any cost. or win then run before you get caught. Like the CEO who wants to lay off all of their employees because wall street likes the reduction in labor expenses. (and his friends on the board just gave him 10 million stock options).Never frikin mind that there is no one left to do the business make the sales call or develop the next widget.

Again... standard operating procedure.

Get ****ed about it all you want... but it's nothing specific to radioshack or in any way related to Lance.

kurtinsc said:
Again... standard operating procedure.

Get ****ed about it all you want... but it's nothing specific to radioshack or in any way related to Lance.

of course it's Lance's fault.....................don't you read this forum?

everything is lance's fault, even Cav riding like a douchebag:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Many years ago when Lance was riding for Motorola, my sister-in-law worked there as a manager down in Arizona. Big company, Motorola.

Anyway, my sister-in-law thought the Motorola Cycling Team was made up of Motorola employees. Kind of like the company softball team. I realized she thought this when she asked me if I knew which division Lance worked in lol.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
You should read some history as to why/how the welfare state was formed to begin with back during FDR's presidency. You might be suprised that "revolted by" wasn't the key issue... it was "preventing a revolt". There are a lot more have-nots then haves in the world... and if the have-nots get a small enough piece of the pie... the haves end up suffering big time. This isn't so much politics as history. The point of the welfare-state is to keep the have-nots content enough to not start killing the haves.

Lemme guess...you are of the producer class? but closer to the have-nots than have-mores (which you carry water for)than you would admit.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
redtreviso said:
Lemme guess...you are of the producer class? but closer to the have-nots than have-mores (which you carry water for)than you would admit.

Why does this matter?

Technically, I'm "management"... though I don't manage any people... just a bunch of computers. I guess I'd be part of the proletariat according to Marx since I don't own the means of production. Perhaps salatriat would be a better definition.

Am I closer to the have-nots? Probably... but it depends on where you draw the line. My BACKGROUND is definitely from the "have-not" group.

But honestly, I'm not sure why that matters. I'm not really talking about current political beliefs... just history. If you investigate the reasons why FDR put many of the early welfare-type programs in place, you'll see that fear of revolution of the poor was a big factor. If you have parents or grand-parents alive from that era in the US, they might be able to fill you in on what the climate was like.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
redtreviso said:
Companies in the US basically hate everyone.. Board of Directors mentality..They hate the shareholders except for themselves. They hate the employees because they only see their pay as something they would rather keep for themselves..They surely don't like their customers, who are always too few or don't pay enough or need to be air conditioned etc. Self interest trumps all..

You are delusional. I am feeling you have a hate issue based on this post and your comments within.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
kurtinsc said:

I knew my post was gonna derail the thread and I regret it. I suppose we could take this to PM but to be honest, the subject isn't exciting enough to warrant that much energy. My point stands, regardless of your history lesson. We tolerate/encourage too many handouts whether it be individuals, corporations or political largesse. I completely disagree with your last sentence. let's just agree to disagree.

I am done with the thread.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
goober said:
You are delusional. I am feeling you have a hate issue based on this post and your comments within.

""Fiorina said: "There is no job that is America's God-given right anymore.""

and there is no God given right for HP stock to be part of my 401k..[EDITED BY MOD]

May 23, 2010
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Why does this matter?

Technically, I'm "management"... though I don't manage any people... just a bunch of computers. I guess I'd be part of the proletariat according to Marx since I don't own the means of production. Perhaps salatriat would be a better definition.

Am I closer to the have-nots? Probably... but it depends on where you draw the line. My BACKGROUND is definitely from the "have-not" group.

But honestly, I'm not sure why that matters. I'm not really talking about current political beliefs... just history. If you investigate the reasons why FDR put many of the early welfare-type programs in place, you'll see that fear of revolution of the poor was a big factor. If you have parents or grand-parents alive from that era in the US, they might be able to fill you in on what the climate was like.

It matters because those with their hands out and threatening consequences are not those on welfare but Goldman Sachs, Lockheed, Haliburton etc. It is their political business model to keep you looking for (one of those people) in the grocery line in front of you paying with food stamps.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
Many years ago when Lance was riding for Motorola, my sister-in-law worked there as a manager down in Arizona. Big company, Motorola.

Anyway, my sister-in-law thought the Motorola Cycling Team was made up of Motorola employees. Kind of like the company softball team. I realized she thought this when she asked me if I knew which division Lance worked in lol.

That's funny. I'll bet it's the same deal at Radio Shack. Half the employees probably never heard of Lance Armstrong and the ones that do probably think the TDF is some kind of charity bike ride.