• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Radioshack powerhouse

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I am a little confused as I am a brand new fan to the REAL cycling world not just soley the tdf anymore.Anyway my point is Versus made it seem that bruyneel gutted the entire talent pool from Astana and made The Powerhouse of team radioshack but from what it looks like to me is that all the real talent was left on astana (contador) so my real question is do u think RS will do enough this year to be not considered a failure what real races can they win and at this point can they even take any stage wins or even an out of the way GC race I even had to double check that i was looking at the right race in catalunya as I saw Leipheimer and Kloden got shelled out the back today and Astana is even ahead in the coveted Team GC What can RS do from here on out to not be a failure:eek:

hammt34 said:
I am a little confused as I am a brand new fan to the REAL cycling world not just soley the tdf anymore.Anyway my point is Versus made it seem that bruyneel gutted the entire talent pool from Astana and made The Powerhouse of team radioshack but from what it looks like to me is that all the real talent was left on astana (contador) so my real question is do u think RS will do enough this year to be not considered a failure what real races can they win and at this point can they even take any stage wins or even an out of the way GC race I even had to double check that i was looking at the right race in catalunya as I saw Leipheimer and Kloden got shelled out the back today and Astana is even ahead in the coveted Team GC What can RS do from here on out to not be a failure:eek:

RadioShack was set up as purely as a vehicle for Lance, his ego and his efforts to try and win another Tour and defeat Contador. Of course they made noise about doing things at other races but most of us never believed that for a second and you yourself see the real evidence of this.

On paper, Astana and most other teams are weaker but are all outperfroming RadioShack. The only thing that can make the season a success for RadioShack is victory at the Tour. They are so focused on the Tour, everything else is secondary. The problem is they dont seem like they can actually win the Tour. Its a sad, sad waste of talent for one mans ego.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
RadioShack was set up as purely as a vehicle for Lance, his ego and his efforts to try and win another Tour and defeat Contador. Of course they made noise about doing things at other races but most of us never believed that for a second and you yourself see the real evidence of this.

On paper, Astana and most other teams are weaker but are all outperfroming RadioShack. The only thing that can make the season a success for RadioShack is victory at the Tour. They are so focused on the Tour, everything else is secondary. The problem is they dont seem like they can actually win the Tour. Its a sad, sad waste of talent for one mans ego.

They'll be a strong vehicle for their sponsor at the Tour of California and will garner lots of press time. Expect a "mission accomplished" type of speech from someone if Levi wins. If they don't nail that down after turning their back on the Giro the season is in jeopardy.

pmcg76 said:

I think this is spot on. I'm looking at the Cataluyna results today and wondering why the hell they won't give JB the reins during these early stage races when Levi, Kloden and Armstrong aren't on form.

But I do find that they are victims of their own hype. They made a terrific amount of noise about leaving AC with the dregs and how powerful their team was going to be in 2010, which has set expectations pretty damn high. So far, they've got one stage victory to show for it.

EDIT: Perhaps instead of Team Radio Shack they should be Team Out the Back? :D:p

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Some Bill Parcells quotes

(For those overseas, he is a very well known 'American' football coach and now VP of Miami Dolphins team. If you are in North America and never heard of him.....????)

I find some of these interesting, some are good with respect to RS's situation, others are just good for sports and competition in general.

This one is attributed to him widely and most famously, but I can't prove it was said by him:
You are what your record says you are.
RadioShack's record is very small, especially since this is their first (and probably only) season, but they do seem ....missing...even in the races where they are present.

No matter how much you've won, no matter how many games, no matter how many championships, no matter how many Super Bowls, you're not winning now, so you stink.

This one seems especially appropriate given that Lance's never ending success seemed to be unfulfilling to him, but perhaps failure can give him the closure he seeks.
Success is never final, but failure can be.

There is winning and there is misery.
That's true of life sometimes, not just sports.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
RadioShack Stock is at a 52week High and the company is "flush with cash".
This has all happened since Lance joined forces with The Shack.

Now I am NOT saying the recent success of RadioShack is due to Lance.

It is probably a case of Lance/Bruyneel doing their homework and recruiting a stable growing sponsor. Genius does not always equate to "being behind the wheel" of the team car lol.

http://www.wikinvest.com/wikinvest/...Stock:Radioshack_(RSH)&comments=0&format=html

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
While I don't think they exist merely for Lance's benefit, I'll admit they are disappointing. Regardless of if he's fat or not, Lance isn't on a race program built towards the Tour, and what he is doing at those races, isn't impressive. Levi hasn't looked anywhere near the shape needed to win the ToC, and the gang of super domestiques: Klodi, Horner, Pop, etc seem to roll backwards when the roads shift upward. They have showed they have promising youth, but that won't win them the ToC or the TdF: their two biggest goals. If they do what they've been doing and win the ToC and at least podium the TdF, the sponsor will be happy, but if they fail to podium at either, it could spell doom for RS.

Publicus said:
EDIT: Perhaps instead of Team Radio Shack they should be Team Out the Back? :D:p

Funny stuff :D

Polish said:

It is probably a case of Lance/Bruyneel doing their homework and recruiting a stable growing sponsor. Genius does not always equate to "being behind the wheel" of the team car lol.

http://www.wikinvest.com/wikinvest/...Stock:Radioshack_(RSH)&comments=0&format=html

What's that got to do with Team Out the Back's performance over the first part of the season?

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Most US stocks are trading at, or near 52-week highs. The market bottomed out March of 2009. The Shack's stock pricing has absolutely nothing to do with Lance or the cycling team.

I like Lance. (hey, he was nice to me, so I have no reason to dislike him personally yet. Levi, on the other hand, is an a-hole) But seriously, he has nothing to do with the valuation of the company according to the market.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
hammt34 said:
... what it looks like to me is that all the real talent was left on astana (contador) so my real question is do u think RS will do enough this year to be not considered a failure, what real races can they win and at this point can they even take any stage wins or even an out of the way GC race .... What can RS do from here on out to not be a failure:eek:

It's too early in the season to ask if Team RadioShack (RS) will be a failure. There are still many races left, and their focus is clearly on the Tour de France. That's always what Johan Bruyneel is focused on. Other races are used to prepare for the Tour. They don't have to win those races.

Also, I'll be very surprised if Levi doesn't win the Tour of California. Team RS will do everything in their power to win that for Levi. He's the 3 time champ and just being in his home state always gives him extra motivation. If Levi wins the Tour, any questions about Team RS' potential failure should subside.

I agree with Publicus that Jani Brajkovic is the future of the team. Lance, Levi, and Kloden are the veterans, but Brajkovic is the future. Johan was probably moving Jani along slowly for the past few years, making sure he gets comfortable with high level competition. I would love to see him become the team leader in 2011 or 2012. I doubt he will be the leader this year. Everyone still believes in Lance, and Levi would be the second choice to lead if Lance is not competitive.

alberto.legstrong said:
(For those overseas, he is a very well known 'American' football coach and now VP of Miami Dolphins team. If you are in North America and never heard of him.....????)

I find some of these interesting, some are good with respect to RS's situation, others are just good for sports and competition in general.

This one is attributed to him widely and most famously, but I can't prove it was said by him: RadioShack's record is very small, especially since this is their first (and probably only) season, but they do seem ....missing...even in the races where they are present.

This one seems especially appropriate given that Lance's never ending success seemed to be unfulfilling to him, but perhaps failure can give him the closure he seeks.

That's true of life sometimes, not just sports.

Nice job on busting out the Parcells quotes! Parcells (nicknamed "The Tuna") was truly one the best American Football coaches of all time. I appreciated the trip down memory lane. Loved his work with the NY Jets 11 years ago, turning ancient QB Vinny Testaverde into a winner!

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:

This is the non-sequitur of the week. Is Carbon Crank providing you with material? It's great if sponsors are happy, but to draw such a close link is a bit strange.

Quote from Polish's link.

On Wednesday's "Stop Trading!" segment on CNBC, Jim Cramer said RadioShack is "flush with cash." Cramer said the company is an "LBO waiting to happen."

Hey folks, anyone remember Jim Cramer's record during the financial crisis?

Thought so.

LOL. Polish just copies Cramer's opinion and parrots it around.

Little secret. You can actually *gasp* look at the info yourself online.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/cf?s=RSH&annual

Not that it has anything to do with the RS team's performance.

Sep 8, 2009
Visit site
hammt34 said:

holy run on sentence

Polish said:

I know this is kinda off topic, but I'd like to pursue it a little to say that I've had the misfortune of going to a Radio Shack after the team was created. (My mom & stepdad were in town visiting and needed some attachment adapter or other.)

I actually expected to see some Armstrong-related advertising, but there was nothing. Note that I live in Austin, the man's hometown, and still: nothing.

I was a big T-mobile fan back in the day, too (still have T-mobile service). I actually tried in 2005 to get some Jan-related content for my phone (wallpapers, etc) but couldn't find anything, not even through T-mobile's official website.

I know that T-mobile's cycling sponsorship was targeted at Euros (Germans in particular), but I thought it was odd that cycling-related content and marketing weren't available to people in the US--even if they were TRYING to find it, as I was.

It seems RS is doing the same thing with Armstrong and the rest of the team now, only it's a little worse b/c Armstrong would appeal more to the US market than the largely German T-mobile squad did, and this is his hometown! I know that cycling sponsorship is peanuts to these big companies, but it still seems silly to not capitalize as much as possible in every investment you make as a company. (Especially when contrasted with Michelob Ultra; I see two Armstrong billboards [one running, one cycling] on my commute everyday.)

Very strange.

As far as The Shack goes, Levi Leipheimer absolutely MUST win the Tour of California or this team will be on a serious downward spiral. They are likely to fail pretty hard at the Tour de France no matter what so it's going to be really important to their American title sponsor that they get the big win at the TDC on home soil. If they get that win I think their season can be considered a modest success even if they continue to fail completely in Europe.

However, a big part of this is going to be how the media is managed at the Tour de France. I expect Armstrong to get completely shelled by Contador and I don't expect another podium from Lance either. If he can manage his defeat graciously and eke out a top 10 I think all will be well and he'll still command plenty of respect. On the other hand, if Armstrong has another sour grapes media debacle while getting his *** kicked I expect the sponsor to consider the season a total failure.

mr. tibbs said:
I know this is kinda off topic, but I'd like to pursue it a little to say that I've had the misfortune of going to a Radio Shack after the team was created. (My mom & stepdad were in town visiting and needed some attachment adapter or other.)

I actually expected to see some Armstrong-related advertising, but there was nothing. Note that I live in Austin, the man's hometown, and still: nothing.

I was a big T-mobile fan back in the day, too (still have T-mobile service). I actually tried in 2005 to get some Jan-related content for my phone (wallpapers, etc) but couldn't find anything, not even through T-mobile's official website.

I know that T-mobile's cycling sponsorship was targeted at Euros (Germans in particular), but I thought it was odd that cycling-related content and marketing weren't available to people in the US--even if they were TRYING to find it, as I was.

It seems RS is doing the same thing with Armstrong and the rest of the team now, only it's a little worse b/c Armstrong would appeal more to the US market than the largely German T-mobile squad did, and this is his hometown! I know that cycling sponsorship is peanuts to these big companies, but it still seems silly to not capitalize as much as possible in every investment you make as a company. (Especially when contrasted with Michelob Ultra; I see two Armstrong billboards [one running, one cycling] on my commute everyday.)

Very strange.

Actually Armstrong tweeted today about his new Radio Shack tv spot.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:

Very strange.

Big difference. T-Mobile was in the US at the time. Radioshack's not in europe (one single store in a single country doesn't really count)

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:

Very strange.
very astute observation mr tibbs !

i am far removed from texas and austin but the man not being utilized by his sponsor in his own town is strange. i cant wrap my brain around it :confused:

do they understand he is a detriment to the corporate logo b/c of his doping past ?

do they not count on the future existence of the team ?

very strange indeed.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
TheNJDevil said:
Most US stocks are trading at, or near 52-week highs. The market bottomed out March of 2009. The Shack's stock pricing has absolutely nothing to do with Lance or the cycling team.

I like Lance. (hey, he was nice to me, so I have no reason to dislike him personally yet. Levi, on the other hand, is an a-hole) But seriously, he has nothing to do with the valuation of the company according to the market.

NJ, my post said "Now I am NOT saying the recent success of RadioShack is due to Lance."

Although, seriously, Team RadioShack probably has had SOME positve impact on Corporate sales. To say it has "nothing to do with valuation" is probably not true.

But for cycling, Team RadioSjack HAS had a positive impact. The sponsorship has RESULTED in jobs for many people besides Lance. Heck, my own homestate has received income tax dollars from the team members who live here.

menlo_guy said:
It's too early in the season to ask if Team RadioShack (RS) will be a failure. There are still many races left, and their focus is clearly on the Tour de France. That's always what Johan Bruyneel is focused on. Other races are used to prepare for the Tour. They don't have to win those races.

Also, I'll be very surprised if Levi doesn't win the Tour of California. Team RS will do everything in their power to win that for Levi. He's the 3 time champ and just being in his home state always gives him extra motivation. If Levi wins the Tour, any questions about Team RS' potential failure should subside.

I agree with Publicus that Jani Brajkovic is the future of the team. Lance, Levi, and Kloden are the veterans, but Brajkovic is the future. Johan was probably moving Jani along slowly for the past few years, making sure he gets comfortable with high level competition. I would love to see him become the team leader in 2011 or 2012. I doubt he will be the leader this year. Everyone still believes in Lance, and Levi would be the second choice to lead if Lance is not competitive.

It will be interesting to see if RadioShack are still around in 2011/12. Once Lance retires, I think they will be gone. I think the point we are making is that RadioShack have a lot of talent to focus on more races than just the Tour. That is why its a waste of talent.

Brajkovic was the future of the sport back in 2006 with Discovery, it is now 2010 and he hasnt really pulled up many results but is somehow still the future. Kinda sounds like Tommy D to me.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
As far as The Shack goes, Levi Leipheimer absolutely MUST win the Tour of California or this team will be on a serious downward spiral. They are likely to fail pretty hard at the Tour de France no matter what so it's going to be really important to their American title sponsor that they get the big win at the TDC on home soil. If they get that win I think their season can be considered a modest success even if they continue to fail completely in Europe.

However, a big part of this is going to be how the media is managed at the Tour de France. I expect Armstrong to get completely shelled by Contador and I don't expect another podium from Lance either. If he can manage his defeat graciously and eke out a top 10 I think all will be well and he'll still command plenty of respect. On the other hand, if Armstrong has another sour grapes media debacle while getting his *** kicked I expect the sponsor to consider the season a total failure.

Well said. I think for them, right or wrong, it's all about the Tour of California and the Tour de France. Ditching the Giro and being ditched for Tirreno-Adriatico was a big gamble. I think that by the end of the season, the UCI will be asked why they were granted a license, Armstrong & Bruyneel will bail, and Radio Shack will be left to crumble.

And I really liked Jani Brajkovic before he went to the new team. A real genius would look at the young guys who actually have form and try to offer them support.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe I'm actually defending this team, but it must be damned hard to race for hours at a time on those tiny seats with Karma biting you in the a$$:D

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Radioshack has the same business strategy as all Hog/Armstrong teams. There goal is to win Lance the Tour and to make money for Hog and Lance.

Radioshack put a ton of money into the team. The hog hires a few riders for the GT's then stocks the roster with 2nd and 3rd tier riders for almost nothing. The rest goes into Armstrong and The Hog's pocket.

Simple formula that is followed by many teams.

theswordsman said:
Well said. I think for them, right or wrong, it's all about the Tour of California and the Tour de France. Ditching the Giro and being ditched for Tirreno-Adriatico was a big gamble. I think that by the end of the season, the UCI will be asked why they were granted a license, Armstrong & Bruyneel will bail, and Radio Shack will be left to crumble.

And I really liked Jani Brajkovic before he went to the new team. A real genius would look at the young guys who actually have form and try to offer them support.

Will the Shack take more than 10 victories this season?

Where will they score. Personally I think Roessler (who has their only victory) will be the main man in shoter stage races.

I cannot see them doing much post-Tour. Will they race the Vuelta?

What will a successful Tour be for them. Overall victory? A podium place? Stage victories? Team Classification?

Remember last year, it was all about a podium sweep and even though they have still have 3 fromer podium finishers, it hasnt been mentioned once yet this year.

TRENDING THREADS