• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Random Questions

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Magnus said:
Why are you linking to the video that was in the post I responded to:confused:

Anyway, it seems that Boardman used a Rainbow jersey for tt'ing. Indurain didn't (at least in the first tt of the 96 tour). Zülle used some standard once suit but with broad bands around the arms.

Museeuw and Olano both used Rainbow jerseys in tt's when they were road race-champions.

Zabel used a german champion skinsuit in the tt's in the '03 TdF even though he was (only) road race-champion.

I wonder when things got sorted out.

Oh, I didn't click on that link(so I didn't know it was posted already). Merely answering your post because you seemed unclear about it. Apologies.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
Digging this one up again for a random, and very silly, question!

Imagine a rider has gotten away from the peloton at a comfortable distance. He then reaches a KoM sprint, crosses it and, for some odd reason, decides to go back down and cross it again.
Would the rider then, in this rather weird and purely hypothetical situation, get the second batch of points available? :p

Reminds me of my old shipmate Holy Hansen, he was a fierce competitior. Came first AND third in the masturbating contest. He was a fierce competitor.

Okay, I have a question which I promise you is less silly than my last one here! :p

But anyway; rainbow jerseys. I know that if you win a world's category (junior or U23) and then step up a level, so to speak, you're not allowed to actually wear your jersey.
But what types of teams are "too high up" to be allowed to wear your U23 jersey? Pro-Conti? Conti? What if, at the World's this Fall, Matti wins the elite RR (a girl can hope, right?) and one of the Glud og Marstrand young guns wins the U23 RR (again, I can hope...) would the U23 champ then be allowed to wear his rainbow jersey? And if so what would happen at the Tour of Denmark if both guys decided to ride?
Also what if you ride on a lower level than the championship you won? If, say, someone, over the age of 23, on a conti team unexpectedly won the elite in either RR or TT... would they then not be allowed to wear the rainbow jersey, or would their team just have a serious bragging factor?

May 27, 2010
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
Okay, I have a question which I promise you is less silly than my last one here! :p

But anyway; rainbow jerseys. I know that if you win a world's category (junior or U23) and then step up a level, so to speak, you're not allowed to actually wear your jersey.
But what types of teams are "too high up" to be allowed to wear your U23 jersey? Pro-Conti? Conti? What if, at the World's this Fall, Matti wins the elite RR (a girl can hope, right?) and one of the Glud og Marstrand young guns wins the U23 RR (again, I can hope...) would the U23 champ then be allowed to wear his rainbow jersey? And if so what would happen at the Tour of Denmark if both guys decided to ride?
Also what if you ride on a lower level than the championship you won? If, say, someone, over the age of 23, on a conti team unexpectedly won the elite in either RR or TT... would they then not be allowed to wear the rainbow jersey, or would their team just have a serious bragging factor?

It's all based on age groups not the level of the team. So if someone wins an U23 world title they can only wear the jersey in U23 races, do it doesn't matter what level team they are in only what age group they are competing in. So if a random Conti rider won worlds they could wear the jersey in any elite race regardless of whether or not they are World Tour. Does that help?

Yes. Thanks! :)

But I've got a few "family questions"

1: How many of those Kreders are there? There are the brothers Raymond and Michel on Garmin, and Wesley (their cousin?) on the Rabo Conti team, I think...

2: Are Alexander Nepomnyachshiy and Yevgeniy Nepomnyachshiy brothers? I would be inclined to say they are because of their surname, but for all I know that could be the Kazakh equivalent of 'Sørensen'... :rolleyes:

RedheadDane said:
1: How many of those Kreders are there? There are the brothers Raymond and Michel on Garmin, and Wesley (their cousin?) on the Rabo Conti team, I think...

1. Raymond, Stefan and Michel Kreder are brothers.

2. Dennis, Sander and Wesley are brothers too.

1 and 2 are cousins of each other. They all race(d) bikes. Good genes apparently (and little creativity).

http://www.kredersklassieker.nl/wie-zijn-de-kreders

What the hell does Five Hour Energy do when the race/stage is longer than five hours?

You drop dead:

NY Times link: 5-hour-energy-is-cited-in-13-death-reports

Aapjes said:
1. Raymond, Stefan and Michel Kreder are brothers.

2. Dennis, Sander and Wesley are brothers too.

1 and 2 are cousins of each other. They all race(d) bikes. Good genes apparently (and little creativity).

Wow! Imagine if all those guys ended up on a team together!
You could have a team-roster for a race that was

Kreder
Kreder
Kreder
Kreder
Kreder
Kreder

:cool:

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Why is it that gc riders at a gt don't want the leader jersey 'too early' like nibali in this vuelta?
They don't actually have to make their team work to defend it, right?
They could just ride along like they always do without spending some extra effort to defend it? Where's the difference?

Piz Buin said:
Why is it that gc riders at a gt don't want the leader jersey 'too early' like nibali in this vuelta?
They could just ride along like they always do without spending some extra effort to defend it? Where's the difference?

Because they don't have a Borg team who doesn't let any GC fella leave the peloton.

Piz Buin said:
Leader jersey means more interviews and more focus on you. And more tests...

Piz Buin said:

Unspoken rule of the peloton I suppose. It would be disrespectful to the race to not even try to keep it and **** off the other teams.

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
BigMac said:
Because they don't have a Borg team who doesn't let any GC fella leave the peloton.
Yes, but they don't have to defend it. why not just let other teams work too? other teams have gc riders who don't want to let some other gc guy get away too?

edit: ^^ok, these guys explained it well, thanks

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Not a question with a specific answer, but opinion based. Who do you think are the 2-3 most likely people to take over Froome as top dog in grand tours?

I'd lean towards Porte, Quintana (although he'd need to become a lot more rounded) or even Uran.

RedheadDane said:
Bringing this one up Again to ask yet another of my weird questions:

In the Pros' Paris-Roubaix they get a big cobblestone.

In the Junior's Paris-Roubaix they get a small cobblestone.

What do the U23 riders get? A medium-sized one?

LOL! Great question!

ps, on the original question, it certainly used to be against the rules to ride back down the course and I've never heard of it being changed. In 1990 when Lemond punctured he had teammates ahead stopped at the side of the road waiting a while for him to arrive but were stopped from actually going back to get him.

Hello, just me again. :D

Are there any rules for what to do if a rider wins more than one jersey in a GT?

In the 2007 Tour they made Txurruka stand on the podium in the White jersey, basically playing a living mannequin.

In the 2013 Tour they seem to have managed to have Quintana change jerseys in the middle of the podium ceremony.

In this Tour they simply gave Froome the Polka-Dot jersey to carry over his arm.

Can't seem to remember what they did in the Giro last year...