• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate Paris-Roubaix

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How good was it?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It was very enjoyable to watch. I always love it when
a track rider does well, admittedly the winner was not
the track rider I was cheering for most, but I am always
happy when a trackie of any stripe wins a major road
race. Well done Niki, excellent ride, my friend.

Miburo said:
I've no clue how to rate this. If stybar, Boonen or Wiggins won this it would be a 10, now i've no idea.

That moment when they were with 10 guys at 8 km....It's been a while since i've laughed so hard

PR starts for me at 90k.

From then on, the first half was very good, shaping up to be a very good race.

But second half just died. There was a big peloton the whole time, which is not something we usually get in Paris Roubaix.

Bonnen group was out front, without a chance to win, just dangling there for 40k or something.

The favourites waited and waited and then when Sep went it was weak and didn't last long. Canc did nothing. Boonen tried to make the race but the other favourites didn't cooperate.

Canc and Sep went again, but only got a small gap with Degenkolb and Stybar and they eased up.

Big group coming towards the end. First attack wins it.

By Paris Roubaix standards it wasn't a great edition.
Certainly not compared to last year.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
.....boring, save the very surprising performance of Wiggins ( so props to Mr Wiggins )....certainly a let down from Flanders which I thought was very very good...

Cheers

Its funny, I think Flanders benefitted from not having one or two guys much stronger than the rest, whereas Roubaix suffered because of it. Noone was able to make a decisive move, which meant the race was much less a showcase of the strongest than in previous years.

I like the winner though and the racing from 60-15km to go was good, with major props to Sagan for coming back like that. Overall 7 or 8.

I think that the constant headwinds led to some conservative riding, especially from the break. When Hayman and Wynants bridged I thought that they would smash it in an attempt to get away and was fuming when Cancellara was allowed to bridge - I thought it was over. Terpstra did well, played his cards very smartly indeed, Thomas, Boonen and DeBacker were very good, GVA a little unlucky, EBH looked solid then disappeared as usual and poor Kristoff should have stayed in bed :(

8 from me - had me frustrated in suspense, was almost relieved to see Terpstra finally put his manhood on the line and go for it!

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Mixed feelings about this one. I had to leave halfway through carrefour de l'arbe, arround when the guy from Sporza shouted that Boonen was coming back together with Tepstra, then I came back and I saw Terpstra had won, so I though the race might have been awesome. But I've seen the rest now and after that it was very anti-climatic. The race was okay until the end, but not even that great and it ended in a pretty lame way.

However, my heart says 10/10 because of nationalism. :p

(I voted 6/10 with my head though)

Rated it a 4

Too tactical for me. Don't like it when they race like that in Roubaix. Roubaix should be a race where the elimination continues and the strong men remain.
Now groups kept coming back and everyone kept looking.

Glad Terpstra won though, the way he dragged Boonen's *** back to the front group and then did the final 6k... that was good.
But overall the race was below par, disappointing edition, but really glad with the winner :D

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
a 7.Almost as good as last year,but worse than de Ronde.

Also happy for all dutch people here,big fans of cycling and Terpstra gave them BIG win.Enjoy it guys:)

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I went with a 4 because everyone seemed awkward and unusually tentative in their tactics ( less Nick at the end). As others have pointed out it was and odd edition. So much potential, but it was so... Off. As much as I respect canc's maturing in marked man tactics, as he was defending champ I was disappointed in his lack of motivating the race.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
BigMac said:
Let's face it. Most of the not so good rates are because Cancellara didn't win. Or Bonnen. Or Sagan.

Actually not for my vote, as i said, steppers did win was still an awkward race with everybody watching everybody else and no one capable of killing the race on the cobbles

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
5. Props to OPQS, but Terpstra only won because they had Boonen+Stybar in the bunch.

Those who aren't one of the top marked favorites like Terpstra will be winning a lot more races. As soon as you have a gap in the last 10k, just solo away and everyone behind will look at each other and play poker instead of chasing. Really disappointing finish... Boonen/Sagan deserved this much more.

maybe a 7, good to have a PR a bit different from the norm and to have a group of 11 with 10km left is definitely not normal! as someone else mentioned, it was a pity that the 1st attack won the race, much better if there had been several attacks and counters whilst even an 11 man sprint in the velodrome would have been a sight to behold...

BigMac said:
Let's face it. Most of the not so good rates are because Cancellara didn't win. Or Bonnen. Or Sagan.

Atleast let people give a reason for their ratings before you start thinking that you know everything about how other people cast their votes. Most people, who dislike this edition, obviously does it because of the lack of action and that numbers and not strength determined the winner in the end...

It was awesome until the end, but to me, a lone attacker taking the win "solely" because everyone else was watching each other created a bit of an anti-climax.

No disrespect to Terpstra, he deserves this after a very good season, but today he wasn't even nearly the strongest.

Cance > TheRest said:
Atleast let people give a reason for their ratings before you start thinking that you know everything about how other people cast their votes. Most people, who dislike this edition, obviously does it because of the lack of action and that numbers and not strength determined the winner in the end...

100 riders survived Arenberg and made the peloton. That and the wind probably killed the race.

maltiv said:
It was awesome until the end, but to me, a lone attacker taking the win "solely" because everyone else was watching each other created a bit of an anti-climax.

No disrespect to Terpstra, he deserves this after a very good season, but today he wasn't even nearly the strongest.

you are contradicting yourself, by saying he was not nearly one of the strongest you disrespect him ;)

He only wasn't with the best on carrefour because of Boom falling in front of him. Then he dragged Boonen's *** back to the front group, and then attacked and Thomas/de backer clearly couldn't close that down.
He wasn't the strongest maybe, but he wasn't that far off :rolleyes:

10 cobbles out of 10.
Why? Because it's Paris-Roubaix! Everything about it is amazing, especially the massive crowds that line the route.
The race seemed to be an anomaly, though, what with the lack of carnage in the Arenberg and a big group at the end.
Was really hoping all 11 riders made to the velodrome, but hats off to Terpstra for a gutsy win. Well done.