• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the 2016 Tour de France

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How do you rate the Tour de France of 2016 on a scale of 1 to 10

Votes: 21 8.0%

Votes: 25 9.5%

Votes: 53 20.1%

Votes: 51 19.3%

Votes: 24 9.1%

Votes: 31 11.7%

Votes: 28 10.6%

Votes: 16 6.1%

Votes: 13 4.9%
  • Why can I only enter 10 options?

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
Re:

Red Rick said:
Most striking moment was that only Valverde chased Froome in that descent. Everyone else but movi had already given up

That was unbelievable. You see it at the immediate reaction. It was like everyone forgot that they were in a bike race. Epitomized how anemic the GC battle has been.

Stage 20 was one of the worst displays of bike racing that I've ever seen. The organizers couldn't have had a more perfect setup for a dramatic GC battle than the Joux Plane on stage 20 and the riders blew it. An extreme example of the saying "the riders make the race". This has been one of the most boring GTs I've ever seen. (out of +30 GTs)

One positive. There have been some decent battles in the breakaways for stage wins. Thankfully the disinterested GC teams never bothered to reel them in.

Solid 5 for me.

Pluses
Cav, Sagan and GvA wearing yellow
Sagan being such a great racer, ditto Cav returning to the top of the sprinter tree
Froome attacking in week 2 - first the descent win and then the breakaway and sprint with Sagan on the way to Montpellier. Done with panache..
Entertaining stuff from the likes of De Gendt, Pantano, Cummings and Bardet

Minus
The farcical stage at Ventoux especially when Porte looked strongest
Yates and the flamme rouge
The GC race being utterly rubbish and nobody willing to work together to soften up the Skytrain
I was hoping Barguil would do better
The skytrain dementors

I really didn't enjoy the race. Echelon stage, Ventoux and Froome cleat run were the only intriguing things. Sure, some of the other stages were ok...but as someone else said above, every GT has a Pantano equivalent.

2 out of 10. Cycling can be so much more.

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Oleg Tinkoff says:
He has not yet achieved his biggest goal, "to win the Tour de France but as long as Chris Froome is there, it will not happen. I'm waiting for the end of the Froome-age to get back in the peloton. But one thing is certain: I will come back to win the Tour."

LOL. Go Oleg! I'm also waiting for the end of the Froome-age.

Re:

jalep said:
Oleg Tinkoff says:
He has not yet achieved his biggest goal, "to win the Tour de France but as long as Chris Froome is there, it will not happen. I'm waiting for the end of the Froome-age to get back in the peloton. But one thing is certain: I will come back to win the Tour."

LOL. Go Oleg! I'm also waiting for the end of the Froome-age.
Third time's the charm

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
yaco said:
cantpedal said:
it strikes me that a lot of posters on this forum are always hoping for rain and that's what screwed up 2 potentially great stages.

100% correct. Pity these posters don't see the inconsistency in their arguments.
Rain created all the action there was on stage 19. On stage 20 there wss no action to ruin anyway

To be fair, I think a dry road to Morzine would at least have inspired a few more riders to go for it. Then again, it was the Tour de France 2016.

I rated it an 8. I would have given it a 9 if the choice was available.

I loved that Cavendish came back and won 4 stages. To me the most exciting stages are sprint stages. Generally, mtn. stages and mostly boring won by riders whose main claim to fame is genetic not any skills they have developed on the bike.

I was very happy to see Contador leave. He is overrated and just an unnecessary overhyped distraction. But what was better was how he left. Rather than being humble and working for his teammate who has killed himself in the past for Contador he decided to leave rather than be embarrassed. Which is his career in a nutshell all ego and little substance.

I was dissapointed in all the breakaway stages and teams refusing to work to at least try for a stage win. Even more boring than a mountain stage is a stage where no one cares enough to work for a stage win.

But Cavendish, Pantano, Xakarin and Dumolin made up for the problems of this years tour. I just wish we would get more pure flat sprint stages where we could see the best cyclists display their skills.

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
My hopes for rain sometimes are the same as my hopes for crosswinds -- to test the athletes and break up the boredom. I like to see how people respond to a monkey wrench getting tossed in the plan.

I'll give it 3 out of respect to Pantano, Dumoulin, De Gent & Sagan victories- BTW i'd add Froome's "orthodox descending" stage win & his running skills as a plus, but other than that - this Tour is great to never ever remember- It was DULL, BORING, BLUNT, TASTELESS.....

Re:

Old&slow said:
I rated it an 8. I would have given it a 9 if the choice was available.

I loved that Cavendish came back and won 4 stages. To me the most exciting stages are sprint stages. Generally, mtn. stages and mostly boring won by riders whose main claim to fame is genetic not any skills they have developed on the bike.

I was very happy to see Contador leave. He is overrated and just an unnecessary overhyped distraction. But what was better was how he left. Rather than being humble and working for his teammate who has killed himself in the past for Contador he decided to leave rather than be embarrassed. Which is his career in a nutshell all ego and little substance.

I was dissapointed in all the breakaway stages and teams refusing to work to at least try for a stage win. Even more boring than a mountain stage is a stage where no one cares enough to work for a stage win.

But Cavendish, Pantano, Xakarin and Dumolin made up for the problems of this years tour. I just wish we would get more pure flat sprint stages where we could see the best cyclists display their skills.
Puffff, you must be joking.

Cookster15 said:
Bavarianrider said:
  • Worst Tour ever. So sad to see what today's organizers, riders, fanboy viewers and team oficials have made out of the once epic tour de France

:Neutral: :Neutral: :(

At least we still have guys like Sgan and Dumolin who bring some light in this sad darkness.

How was 2012 better than this year? Just curious.

Well the guys in the top ten were actually trying to improve their positions. This year nobody was doing anything.
Stage wins were much more contested, not a gift for the breakaway evey *** time.
No awful gimick decisions by the organizers like the entire Ventoux desaster or today's neutralization.

On the other hand, Vockler wining a jersey makes the 2012 Tour horrible to remmber, as well :redface:
No

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
1 point for watching Sky/Froome win again. That squad is a TdF juggernaut.
1 point for Froome's winning style. That is burning desire when your bike breaks and you run for the line.
1 point for the annual Contador cycle of hype, bike handling disaster(s), fanboy weeping.
1 for the sprinters; strong competition this year.
1 for the podium girls; this year's crop was particularly lovely.

What was lacking was a real rivalry for GC. Back in the day, there were a few teams that were fearsome top-to-bottom, with captains who were at their peaks and close to each other.