• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the 2020 Giro d'Italia route

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Rate the Route!

• 10 (Awesome)

Votes: 3 6.1%

Votes: 7 14.3%

Votes: 22 44.9%

Votes: 13 26.5%

Votes: 4 8.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 (Horrible)

• Total voters
Apparently this new route up the Etna has a steep final 3 km, so probably we will see a brief but important first confrontation between the GC riders there.

In 2019 the toughest climbs were too far from the finish. That looks better in 2020. Especially the Stelvio at 37 km from the finish looks inviting for big action.
Were the tough climbs really too far from the finishes in 2019? I feel like people have forgotten we actually got pretty good racing from stage 12 to 16 and after that there really only was one stage with very hard climbs left. Now I agree the only monster climb of that stage was too far from the finish but that's just one stage really.

Were the tough climbs really too far from the finishes in 2019? I feel like people have forgotten we actually got pretty good racing from stage 12 to 16 and after that there really only was one stage with very hard climbs left. Now I agree the only monster climb of that stage was too far from the finish but that's just one stage really.
It applies literally only to Passo Manghen.

In the third week the Mortirolo was the only climb that gave a good chance for action. Of course it didn't help that the Gavia was cancelled. This time the third week looks much more dangerous than last year with stage 18 and 20.
Yeah sure, but stage 17 and stage 19 just didn't have any hard climbs to be too far from the finish in the first place.
Edit:
I also think the difference isn't actually that huge. Stages 16 and 17 of this years actually have the exact problem you described, of the hard climbs probably being too far away from the finish. Stelvio, like Mortirolo last year has the big climb of the day relatively late and then both last and this year have one last big mountain stage on stage 20, with the biggest climb approximately 100 km from the goal. The only real difference is that stages 16 and 17 are still harder than stage 17 and 19 in this years edition and that there isn't really any flat after the Agnello, while there was too much flat left after the Manghen.

Last edited:
This is a solid 7 for me, but there are a few things I really dislike.

Stage 1: I'm fine with it. Scenery will be beautiful.
Stage 2: nothing wrong with a sprint stage early.
Stage 3: not 2 in a row though. Hungary isn't exactly known for his mountains but there are a few hills they could've played with.

Stage 4: can't complain. Yes it's short but given the mammoth transfer riders will approve of late start. The road to Agrigento with the Valle dei Templi on the background could boost a few attacks.
Stage 5: not a fan of big MTF in the first week, especially if overused. Etna is an ok climb per se, but I'd love to see a descent finish once.
Stage 6: meh, this will most likely be softpedalled all the way through. Don't trust the profile.

Stage 7: love every bit of it. Up and down all day, often on tricky roads. Plus it's the only descent finish of the Giro.
Stage 8: at least there's a slight chance of crosswinds.
Stage 9: this is truly terrible. You're doing everything right to get to Vieste but then add a completely pointless loop around the town. I hate this stage.

Stage 10: great hilly stage. Those final 30 km will make for great racing. Obvious Sagan territory, but GC riders will have to fight for positions.
Stage 11: could have used a few (even mild) hills around Urbino. Disappointing.
Stage 12: probably no GC implications, but man the profile looks nasty.

Stage 13: a good sprint stage.
Stage 14: too freaking short. I know everybody is worried about TTers destroying the race early, but you've got Stelvio, Agnello and God knows how many others Cat. 1 climbs in the third week. Around 45 km would have been sensible.
Stage 15: very surprising, and in a positive way. Hopefully the lates trend of monoclimb (boring) stages is gone for good.

Stage 16: the more I look at it the more I like it. Coming from the rest day a 230 km stage, with a tricky final loop. I'm kinda confident something will happen here.
Stage 17: I wouldn't really like it on its own, but it makes sense. Will tire legs.
Stage 18: great to have Stelvio as the penultimate climb. Stage is once again over 200 km and has the potential to become an instant classic.

Stage 19: 251 km panflat stage in the third week is... surprising, and not in a positive way.
Stage 20: a true gem, it's perfect for long range attacks and somebody will lose dozens of minutes today.
Stage 21: can't complain about TTs I can watch live.

Reactions: Rollthedice
My thoughts as well. They should've added at least one difficult Appenine stage in the middle of the race (even at the cost of one tough stage in the last week).

The Apennines have been grossly underused the last years, even more so than the Massif Central and Vosges in the Tour have been in periods. Yes, there have been some MTFs and punchy finishes, but the potential for multi climb medium mountain stages in the Apennines is massive. There are far too rarely these kind of stages with a tough enough finish making it a stage relevant for the GC.

The Apennines have been grossly underused the last years, even more so than the Massif Central and Vosges in the Tour have been in periods. Yes, there have been some MTFs and punchy finishes, but the potential for multi climb medium mountain stages in the Apennines is massive. There are far too rarely these kind of stages with a tough enough finish making it a stage relevant for the GC.
Maybe they thought a stage in the Apennines would be one too much after the Etna and Calabrian introduction.
Don't want to overdo it before the tt and following mountains.

Maybe they thought a stage in the Apennines would be one too much after the Etna and Calabrian introduction.
Don't want to overdo it before the tt and following mountains.

There is over a week of racing between the Camigliatello Silano stage and the Piancavallo stage. There is plenty of room for one more tough stage here. And it could even have been at the expense of a later mountain stage, for example the Madonna stage.

Last edited:

Unfortunately its not just what will make a good stage that drives the route, its also which local governments are prepared to splash the cash.

Not bad, but was hoping for that little bit more. The hilly/small mountain stages look underwhelming apart from 4, 7,12 and maybe 10.

Disappointed that there's weak Appenines stages as well, I was hoping for a Zomegnan style route to put the TDF back in its place.

8 because of the mountain stages, stage 7 and the Cesenatico stage.