• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the 2023 Giro d'Italia

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Rate the 2023 Giro d'Italia from

• Total voters
All in all if you are an avid GT fan and you rate highly moments like stage 20 of TDF 2020, stage 11 of TDF 2022 ... As some examples from the recent history. As this are the moments that made the race, then you have to do the same in regards to stage 20 of Giro 2023.

Or you are biased in some way and it affects your judgement.
No, because there will alway be a difference between a key moment happening halfway through the race and it happening on the penultimate day. Also it said moment if one of the few interesting things actually happening in the race, the race should still receive a low ranking.

Reactions: gunara
Without the chain drop maybe some of you would have a case. As for saying things like only one stage delivered. I was bored watching the rest.

That is in my opinion normal GT racing.

You hope for that one moment to happen and if it does the GT delivered. The rest of it should frustrate you.

But OK. Pogi attacks like all the time. Lets take a look at his Tour campaigns. In 2020 edition he didn't. In 2021 edition he did after Rogla abandoned. In 2022 edition he did and he lost. So this is rather a moot argument.

As for this specific GT. There was a lot of breakaway action on this edition. A lot of attrition. On top of that when the race is over. Only then you can asses in retrospective what exactly have you have been watching. For example who should attack or defend more. Among the GC favorites.

And it's not like there wasn't that involved. For example Rogla attacked successfully and gained time on Evenepoel, Almeida and Thomas. And all three of them at some point gained time on Rogla. So there was that.

And last but not least.

Rogla didn't win this GT by bonus seconds!
Can't you just for once write like a normal person? Seeing the GC riders riding around holding hands until the final kilometer in every freaking stage in a GT is a disastrous sight, whether or not the final TT is exciting.

No, because there will alway be a difference between a key moment happening halfway through the race and it happening on the penultimate day. Also it said moment if one of the few interesting things actually happening in the race, the race should still receive a low ranking.

Like at Tour 2020?

Can't you just for once write like a normal person? Seeing the GC riders riding around holding hands until the final kilometer in every freaking stage in a GT is a disastrous sight, whether or not the final TT is exciting.

Except they didn't? On multiple occasions during the race top 4 contenders exchanged around half a minute of time. Evenepoel, Almeida, Thomas and Roglič.

You are talking to a brick wall unfortunatly mate

Yeah. About that. At least we all universally agree on one thing. And that is the chain did drop!

All in all if you are an avid GT fan and you rate highly moments like stage 20 of TDF 2020, stage 11 of TDF 2022 ... As some examples from the recent history. As this are the moments that made the race, then you have to do the same in regards to stage 20 of Giro 2023.
That one single moment/stage deliveres, does not mean that the whole GT did.

I don't think we've seen a Giro in the last 20 years where you in total had less GC action and changes among the top favorites in the GC. This Giro was mostly pure crap.

Ten years from now we'll see if people will still mention Tour 2020 and Giro 2023. And if yes what part of it exactly. As the rest of it was rather similar. Top GC guys shifting some time.

But OK. In regards to this Giro edition. I feel it's safe to say a grand champion won this grand tour in a grand style. And maybe there is still more to come this season. We'll see.

Reactions: Elos Anjos
Ten years from now we'll see if people will still mention Tour 2020 and Giro 2023. And if yes what part of it exactly. As the rest of it was rather similar. Top GC guys shifting some time.

But OK. In regards to this Giro edition. I feel it's safe to say a grand champion won this grand tour in a grand style. And maybe there is still more to come this season. We'll see.
Giro 2023 will definitely be mentioned when a thread 'worst GT of the century' pops up in 2100.

Once the chain dropped. After that good luck in competing with Giro 2023 edition in any serious "worst GT edition ever" competition. Organized by humans or aliens alike. Maybe it could win such competition in some internet bubble. But that too would simply burst or implode.

Now onto what will hopefully be another worst GT edition. Ever!

Once the chain dropped. After that good luck in competing with Giro 2023 edition in any serious "worst GT edition ever" competition. Organized by humans or aliens alike. Maybe it could win such competition in some internet bubble. But that too would simply burst or implode.

Now onto what will hopefully be another worst GT edition. Ever!
Watching a 3 hr movie with the first 2 hours and 40 minutes being bad to decent with an exciting 20 minutes doesn’t make it an entertaining movie. It’s exciting for you because your favorite rider won.

Thats just recency bias lol.

The MTT alone and and the tension for the GC battle alone makes it heaps better than the 2012 Tour, where no battle happened and it was just 3 weeks of knowing which guy will win while that other guy is actually better.
From what I've read, Nibali alone provided more battle at the 2012 Tour than the whole peloton at the 2023 Giro

Recency bias is a thing, but so is long-term mythologizing (in a negative sense in this case)

Reactions: BR2 and gunara
We could discuss this GT in depth but ultimately and due to what happened on stage 20. This GT can't qualify as one of the worst GT editions ever. Instead it became an instant GT classic.

Some of you just made your mind up during the race. Didn't have the patience to see it through. Now i guess it's up to you. To admit that or make your choice into some mission. As admittedly we are not always as grand as the champions we admire. Hence we sometimes indeed do struggle in that regard.

We could discuss this GT in depth but ultimately and due to what happened on stage 20. This GT can't qualify as one of the worst GT editions ever. Instead it became an instant GT classic.

Some of you just made your mind up during the race. Didn't have the patience to see it through. Now i guess it's up to you. To admit that or make your choice into some mission. As admittedly we are not always as grand as the champions we admire. Hence we sometimes indeed do struggle in that regard.
I did a training ride on Thursday and I was riding really well. It is an instant classic because I‘m my own favorite cyclist.

The 2012 Tour was the most boring kind of dominance, but it still featured actual racing. At least the clinic was great fun back then.

The main upside of the Giro this year was three good ITTs. Fossombrone was solid, Bondone was quite fine for what it was, Val di Zoldo was somewhat decent. The rest of the mountain stages were dreck.

Maybe that Tour was comparably bad, but I'll wait a bit before making an elaborate comparison.

That MTT is one of the most dramatic GT stages in recent memory, but not necessarily enough to redeem the whole GT for most (read: non Roglic' fan maybe) people. In the way Andrew Johnson scored 21 goals and still couldn't save Iain Dowie's lacklustre team from relegation in 2004.

That MTT is one of the most dramatic GT stages in recent memory, but not necessarily enough to redeem the whole GT for most (read: non Roglic' fan maybe) people. In the way Andrew Johnson scored 21 goals and still couldn't save Iain Dowie's lacklustre team from relegation in 2004.

This narrative "Roglič fan". Lets just say it like this. If Thomas or Almeida would do what Roglič did on stage 20. Then i am sure that being a fan of some cyclist wouldn't play a role in this conversations. As for no GC action. On Tre Cime Roglič smashed the record. Almeida lost some serious time and Thomas cracked in the end too. If that isn't GC action i don't know what is.