• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Reactions from the Pro Peloton to #USPSConspiracy (USADA) - post here

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 14, 2010
Visit site
neineinei said:
Leader of the Danish Cycling Association, Tom Lund: Riis is in deep trouble if there is proof of direct contact between him and Eufemiano Fuentes.

http://www.sporten.dk/cykling/dcu-formand-riis-faar-et-stort-problem (Danish)
http://translate.google.no/translat...ykling/dcu-formand-riis-faar-et-stort-problem (Google Translate)

A huge preponderance of evidence backs up TH when he talks about LA, including the testimony of many others. So far, anyway, this is not the case vis a vis TH's statement about Riis. TH's statement alone is not sufficient in my view to drum Riis out of cycling.

Maxiton said:
A huge preponderance of evidence backs up TH when he talks about LA, including the testimony of many others. So far, anyway, this is not the case vis a vis TH's statement about Riis. TH's statement alone is not sufficient in my view to drum Riis out of cycling.
No, but there's also Basso and Fränk, so there's enough to launch a serious investigation.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
It all comes down to Riis not talking about it. Why? Guilty.

We aint stupid. This is cycling.

Riis could prove himself to clean if it wasn't true, but of course its true.

CONI no doubt if given blood samples from those riding for Riis would match a big number of them to the ones they have on file.

Why they only went after Valv would be interesting to know?

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Riis apparently did not learn anything from Frank Schleck. When you deny links to doping doctors, you better make damn well sure that no one can prove those links actually existed. Otherwise, no one will believe you when you say, "Oh well, I checked my bank records and it appears that I knew the guy after all, but, honest to god, I had no idea he was dirty."

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
While not a comment directly about Lance, this is a comment on doping in general, and was written and released because of the LA/USADA decision and controversy. It is a direct response to the JV Op/Ed in the NYT.

Gregg Germer. "Why I didn't Dope".

http://www.podiuminsight.com/2012/09/06/gregg-germer-why-i-didnt-dope/

It was brought to light in this forum in the thread linked below. Germer also has some additional comments posted in that thread:
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=18483

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Arnout said:
Interestingly, he basically admits he doped during the first part of his career. We all knew he did, but he always told us he only intended to dope in the '06 Tour.

Well, he never actually doped in that Tour, did he?;)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Why they only went after Valv would be interesting to know?

Basso said yesterday that he has nothing to add to his confidential statement before an Italian Olympic Committee magistrate in 2007. Asked directly who put him in contact with Fuentes, and whether it was Riis, he said: ‘I told the Italian Olympic Committee how I contacted Fuentes, and I told the truth. A person of 27 or 28 years of age can find things out for himself…

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/basso-wont-back-up-hamiltons-fuentes-claims

Who became in 2004 teammate of Basso at CSC? [for the bold part]

Some Italian in the Puerto case cracked in front of CONI regarding Valverde. And it wasn't Basso.
Arnout said:
Interestingly, he basically admits he doped during the first part of his career. We all knew he did, but he always told us he only intended to dope in the '06 Tour.
Indeed, his 2006 Giro was just a warmup for the main event :D

May 7, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Geoff's not happy Wonderboy is tainting competitive mountain biking even if it is not USAC sanctioned.
https://twitter.com/GeoffKabush/status/246222789596557314
I couldn't agree more.

Right on, Geoff.
I have a co-worker who is doing this race and let him know that if I was registered, I would not show up. I will not do another Lifetime race. I know it won't make a difference unless the American MTB racing public suddenly become far better informed and has an attack of their consciences, but at least I will know I will not be part of this.

hrotha said:
Let's keep posting reactions - if you can find them, because honestly, it looks like most everybody is trying to pretend nothing happened.

Here's a bunch of reactions from triathletes.

That link didnt work so posting this one - sorry if already done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Guj-uL-yqyU&feature=related

Great panel reaction - the first Pro Jason Shortis then the WIMP from Texas Patrick Evoe - gee what is it about Austin, Texas ?? - something in the water.

Check out the facial expressions of the two while the other is speaking.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
I have tried copying Jens's comments from Twitter on here....can someone else do it. He has got some justified abuse for his stupid comments.

https://twitter.com/thejensie

Jens Voigt@thejensie

Why not?! ?! Because i was racing when he took drugs and cheated on lied to all of us. He lied to you, to me to the whe world.
Espandi

BigTex GoingtoJail@Digger_forum

@thejensie we all know you ****ing doped with Bjarne and after that. So stop your bull****.

Daniel. ‏@LVCKV

@Digger_forum @thejensie and before Bjarne according to JJ

Michel Boldrin ‏@Micch14

@Digger_forum @thejensie No you shut up and respect one of the best and coolest guy in the world cycling !!!
Espandi

BigTex GoingtoJail
@Digger_forum

@Micch14 @thejensie if Jends is so great, why not call out lance and Contador. Hypocrisy.
Espandi

Sergio Sergio@ciclismo2005

@Digger_forum @thejensie well, in Big Jensie case, also in Credit Agricole, as Gaumont testified about O´Grady in Cofidis scandal.

John McNamara
@jgmacca

@Digger_forum @thejensie totally out of order Jens has the respect of the peloton for being clean

this one? :D

Scott Mercier and Darren Baker

gooner said:
Former US Postal riders Darren Baker and Scott Mercier talk about Armstrong. Good interview(audio).

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/or...12/09/bald-faced_truth_with_john_can_380.html

THAT IS one of the best interviews I,ve ever heard - the questions were spot on, informative and SCOTT MERCIER covered everything a cycling fan wants answers to and wants to hear.

Well done GOONER for posting. Maybe that interview deserves its own Thread as it will be lost in this thread.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
. . .Riis could prove himself to clean if it wasn't true, but of course its true. . . .

Benotti - I think this may be one reason you and I disagree a little. Riis could NEVER PROVE himself clean. You can't prove you didn't rape somebody with a LACK of evidence. And, in the case of non-doping, so far, there is not much more the riders have to offer. A LACK of evidence. As we know now, a lack of evidence only means the tests are bad. Doesn't mean anything else.

I wanted to point that out - meaning your statement that someone could prove themself clean. As for Riis, I don't think he was. So I'm not talking about Riis. I'm talking about how you and I differ in views of current riders, and trying to figure all that out. And this statement made me think. That's all.

Cheers. h

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Where are Hincapie, Leipheimer, et al. in this? They have only beaten around the bush each time they get asked about Lance. Why? What is preventing them from just coming out with it? The two of them could put it all to rest.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Jack Aubrey said:
Where are Hincapie, Leipheimer, et al. in this? They have only beaten around the bush each time they get asked about Lance. Why? What is preventing them from just coming out with it? The two of them could put it all to rest.

Hincapie opted out of the Olympics and retired...I think USADA has everything from him they could extract.
Levi has always been a little off and also opted out of the Olympics. He's on his own now with the resources he can milk out of another contract if he's not in line for the requisite 6-month "cooperation" ban. Count on USADA to have his testimony and, as long as he doesn't talk; he collects his salary. I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't his last year when the disclosure is complete but that's just a guess.

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Oldman said:
Hincapie opted out of the Olympics and retired...QUOTE]

If Hincapie is now retired, what's he got to lose by coming out publicly and saying what he witnessed at USPS, etc? He would put all the speculation to rest. Why hasn't he come out with it. Is there some sort of potential penalty he faces for discussing it before it gets released officially?

If Hincapie is now retired, what's he got to lose by coming out publicly and saying what he witnessed at USPS, etc? He would put all the speculation to rest. Why hasn't he come out with it. Is there some sort of potential penalty he faces for discussing it before it gets released officially?

Having read Hamilton's book, I think it ash much more to do with Hincapie's personality than anything else. From the way Hamilton describes him he seems a rather shy, intelligent guy who doesn't crave publicity. I think he feels he did what he had to do and that's the end of it. Don't count an Hincapie coming clean publicly anytime soon unless he is forced to do so. And even then I would trust him to be rather circumpsect in his choice of words.

Regards
GJ