• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Read it and weep. Strickland's dope-free podia

That is hilario.

I would say this list is still very generous:
'99: Escartin, Casero, Nardello
'00: Escartin, Nardello, Pascal Herve
'01: Kivilev, Simon, Didier Rous
'02: Sastre, Moncoutie, Goubert
'03: Zubeldia, Sastre, Rous
'04: Sastre, Karpets, Sandy Casar
'05: Evans, Zubeldia, Julich
'06: Sastre, Evans, Dessel
'07: Evans, Sastre, Zubeldia
'08: Sastre, Evans, Vandevelde
'09: Schleck, Wiggins, Nibali
'10: Schleck, Van Den Broeck, Gesink

quite a few of them would have huge question marks over still, but seriously we all know that is impossible to justify taking out Klöden but leaving in the other guy. Pereiro was my biggest doubt about taking out - he was charged and cleared over salbutamol in 06, but also Beloki and Botero were cleared of their doping charges and they're dropped from Strickland's list so for consistency out he goes.

'02 surprised me looking through the results - I thought '03 would be the worst, but '02 must be the dodgiest set of results of that decade. Not as bad as '96 of course, I'd lose the will to live trying to sort that one.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Strickland is still trying to keep his Tour de Lance book out of the bargain bin. I stop reading when I see an article is his. I can't even make myself go to the Bicycling site. Does Carmichael still post there as an expert?

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
'09: Schleck, Wiggins, Nibali
'10: Schleck, Van Den Broeck, Gesink
Might I ask why you discount Contador and not Schleck nor Nibali.
The former his brother was a client of Fuentes and the latter was supposedly seen training with some famous doctor

But the list in the article is quite laughable and really indicative of Strickland his motive and allegiance.

BikeCentric said:
and intelligence.

I doubt Strickland believes a word of that. Saying stupid and controversial things in order to sell papers or whatever is a staple is a well-used media tool by the unscrupulous.

If the guy wants to be cycling's version of Glenn Beck, then I'm sure there are lots of easily led and poorly informed fans ready to buy his garbage too.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
and intelligence.

I don't really think so. He knows after what horse he put his carriage so he needs to drive that horse into the ground until it dies (or in this case, his public image cracks)

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I doubt Strickland believes a word of that. Saying stupid and controversial things in order to sell papers or whatever is a staple is a well-used media tool by the unscrupulous.

If the guy wants to be cycling's version of Glenn Beck, then I'm sure there are lots of easily led and poorly informed fans ready to buy his garbage too.

Isn't Lance already the model for Beck? There is still the job openning for "media tool". He does look like the front runner for that position.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:

Well, Bicycling mag does need all the help they can get convincing their advertisers to keep the money coming in. That's why we get all those soft gear "reviews", buyers guides, and Strickland articles. To me, they're about as interesting as Outside mag, but hey, they're still in business.

Moose McKnuckles said:

Good thing, too - those people keep these boards interesting :D

Barrus said:
Might I ask why you discount Contador and not Schleck nor Nibali.
The former his brother was a client of Fuentes and the latter was supposedly seen training with some famous doctor

But the list in the article is quite laughable and really indicative of Strickland his motive and allegiance.

Following the criteria set by Strickland

those who were suspended or fired by their teams or withdrawn from races by their teams for some connection to doping

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2006/tour06/news/?id=/news/2006/jun06/jun30news6

You know though, he is on the right track. If we simply modify his list by removing the following names it is then spot on!
Modify by removing:
Armstrong
Escartin
Casero
Nardello
Kivilev (RIP)
Azevedo
Sastre
Zubeldia
Kloden
Mancebo
Totschnig
Evans
Pereiro

So then the new list of clean riders on the podium would read.

See easy as pie, all fixed.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
Read the link.

Contador was withdrawn from the Tour team because he was initially named in OP. The same reason that Beloki is "disqualified" in the article by Strickland

But wasn't he cleared from that? Or at least no real indication that it was him. That was mainly the reason why I looked so strange at your statement.

TRENDING THREADS