Refill Day winners and losers

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
hrotha said:
Voeckler was done by his almost crashing twice. Otherwise he'd have been up there with Contador and Samu. I mean, at least get your facts straight and watch the race.
testy much? relax. i meant he is done because he no longer has enough gap on evans for the ITT and he is unlikely to gain any more time now. (btw -- on another thread i comment on how fantastic voeckler must have descended since he lost only 20+ seconds despite all the issues...)

chill.

fact: contadope had a refill on the last rest day at last year's tour.
fact: of all the riders in this year's tour contadope has had the hugest leap in performance after the second rest day. he has gone from being unable to attack, losing seconds and clinging for dear life to a large group of favorites to being stopped in his tracks at the start of a climb, catching all the favorites and attacking them several times.

maybe you should watch the race and bone up on your facts.

look at the title of this thread. and without a doubt contadope is the big winner from refill day.

cheers.
 
Jul 3, 2010
82
0
0
Big Doopie said:
testy much? relax. i meant he is done because he no longer has enough gap on evans for the ITT and he is unlikely to gain any more time now. (btw -- on another thread i comment on how fantastic voeckler must have descended since he lost only 20+ seconds despite all the issues...)

chill.

fact: contadope had a refill on the last rest day at last year's tour.
fact: of all the riders in this year's tour contadope has had the hugest leap in performance after the second rest day. he has gone from being unable to attack, losing seconds and clinging for dear life to a large group of favorites to being stopped in his tracks at the start of a climb, catching all the favorites and attacking them several times.

maybe you should watch the race and bone up on your facts.

look at the title of this thread. and without a doubt contadope is the big winner from refill day.

cheers.
My only question is whether or not he'll beat Cancellara in the ITT.

Can he use that same magic that he used in the 2009 tour Under the Hog with Astana? Some Contador lovers like to think of him as the anti-armstrong but he sure seems to be alot more of the same.
 
momomomo said:
Please, do elaborate.
Not sure what the Barredo thing is about, but "Tor" is one of the un-clarified Puerto codes.

Some have linked it to Thor, but also "Tor" is German for "Gate", or "Goal" (as in football), and so there are other potential links, eg people from Brandenburg, Berlin, people whose initials are TOR, or something related to bulls, from 'Toro'.
 
Libertine Seguros said:
Not sure what the Barredo thing is about, but "Tor" is one of the un-clarified Puerto codes.

Some have linked it to Thor, but also "Tor" is German for "Gate", or "Goal" (as in football), and so there are other potential links, eg people from Brandenburg, Berlin, people whose initials are TOR, or something related to bulls, from 'Toro'.
The Barredo connection is that he once congratulated Hushovd via Twitter calling him "Tor". I seriously doubt it was anything but an innocent spelling mistake (the h is mute).
 
Yea, I've long since pronounced it Tor, [þ] and [ð] are assimilated back to [t] and [d] in all Germanic languages except English and Icelandic iirc (Faroese?), but remain in spelling, especially in proper names.

The maintaining of old distinctions that no longer exist, or obsolete ones, can cause plenty of confusion. For example, Jens Voigt, where the i used to be a lengthener.
 
Mar 4, 2010
1,826
0
0
hrotha said:
The Barredo connection is that he once congratulated Hushovd via Twitter calling him "Tor". I seriously doubt it was anything but an innocent spelling mistake (the h is mute).
It's not normal to put someone's first name in quotation marks, which Carlos did.
 
May 23, 2011
977
0
0
Big Doopie said:
fact: of all the riders in this year's tour contadope has had the hugest leap in performance after the second rest day. he has gone from being unable to attack, losing seconds and clinging for dear life to a large group of favorites to being stopped in his tracks at the start of a climb, catching all the favorites and attacking them several times.
Here is a fact for you: When you bang your knees up in crashes and go easy though the first set of mountains to recover then you just might be able to ride better in the second set of mountains. If you had watched the race then you would have seen Contador's out of the saddle pedaling action improve stage by stage. Contador's resurgence is only surprising to those not paying attention.
 
mightymac12 said:
Can any one cite another case of Evans climbing so well (consistently)?
I was noticing that Evans regimen throughout the tour seems markedly better than anything I have seen from him before. He is surrounding himself with people who can really assist his preparation like no one has in the past.
 
Dr. Maserati said:
The correct answer is: All of the above.

Everyone got a refill - Thor, EBH, Hesjedal, the podium girls, Hinault, moto camera man, everyone.
That is the correct answer. I enjoyed my refill as well!

Anyone thinking AC got a refill and Voeckler didn't....yeah, I'll have what you're smoking....
 
Right, like it wasn't obvious that Contador's form was on the rise on day 2 in the Pyrenees. And they're only testing Andy 'cause he's publicly whining about it.

Seems this is all a pretty big stretch. They're all doing what they're all doing. They seem to be doing it less than they used to.

However, if it makes you feel better, yeah, the other guy you're not rooting for is the dirty doper and your guy is clean-ish.
 
luckyboy said:
I'm a fan of whoever can beat the Schlecks. Including Cadel, Sanchez etc. in this Tour.

It is anti-logic that they are all clean and Contador is the only one doping. The difference is AC got caught.

History has told us that barely anybody at the top end of a GT is clean.

btw I'm not making excuses for Contador. I just believe that all of the GC guys are doping.
+ 1

Time to take the rose glasses off fellas.
 
May 23, 2011
977
0
0
ggusta said:
I was noticing that Evans regimen throughout the tour seems markedly better than anything I have seen from him before. He is surrounding himself with people who can really assist his preparation like no one has in the past.
I wonder if Andy Rhis paid for the preparation. How did Floyd put it in his latest interview? He wanted Rhis to pay for the doping program so that it would be a team decision or something like that. I forget how Floyd expressed it.
 
Damiano Machiavelli said:
I wonder if Andy Rhis paid for the preparation. How did Floyd put it in his latest interview? He wanted Rhis to pay for the doping program so that it would be a team decision or something like that. I forget how Floyd expressed it.
http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/news/Graham_Bensinger_InDepth/25954415#news/Graham_Bensinger_InDepth/25954415

Starts at about 19:10

Conversation was ambiguous, but Floyd told him how much it costs and understand if you don't want to do take these risks you won't win and here's what we need to do it if you want to take these risks.

I think that segment is really the 'nut' of the issue as it pertains to my interest in the sport. Lance is a symptom. he is not the disease, the UCI and governing bodies is/are the disease.

It's a shame. Consider that a junior or perhaps many juniors may have turned down the use of PED's and are now weekend warriors or toiling at some lower levels of racing and they could be the real Alberto Contador's of the sport but they refused to race dirty and their careers ended right there.
 
Damiano Machiavelli said:
Here is a fact for you: When you bang your knees up in crashes and go easy though the first set of mountains to recover then you just might be able to ride better in the second set of mountains. If you had watched the race then you would have seen Contador's out of the saddle pedaling action improve stage by stage. Contador's resurgence is only surprising to those not paying attention.
:D:p:D:eek:

lmao.

thank you for that one.

guy gets a refill last year at same spot. this year it literally coincides with his complete resurgence...and you believe it's all because he bonked his knee which happens to have suddenly gotten better exactly at the same time?

oi.

fyi to all those who were too stupid to understand my simple initial post (or too full of their own jingoistic bias, nudge nudge wink wink...say no more!). just because i mention contadope and schleck is because based on the first stage after refill day: fact -- contadope had the biggest leap in performance and andy the least. it all seemed funny, yes funny, since some here appear to have lost their sense of humor, to note how that meshed -- again, humorously -- with their individual tweets which were -- since they are both huge dopers -- hysterical.

i then said: discuss.

i did not mention anyone else because i was clearly pointing out the winners and losers (it's there in the title, folks!) of refill day. i didn't think i needed to mention all those in between, or write a freakin' disclaimer...this is the clinic after all.

as for thinking my supposed (wrong again btw) "favorite" doesn't drink from the same well...FFS -- have you read any of my posts? they are almost exclusively in the clinic for a reason. as for it being some sort of jingoistic thing...wrong language, wrong country. and even so, that would have no effect. as stated in another post i am reservedly supporting voeckler and danielson. voeckler is french (i am not, btw), rides on a french team, has had the suivie longitudinal for many years before the bio passort and scored a 0 said passport. given that, i will extend him the benefit of the doubt. danielson...well, i went into my reasons for thinking he might be cleanish, and while i hope he can stay top ten, he does appear to be fading a little here in the third week...

and, FFS, lighten up.

particularly you contadope supporters. it's like the vino supporters. you all scream about hating doping but then you note how exciting the attacking riding of contadope and vino is. gee wiz, i wonder why!? you ever think they can do what they do because they are doped to the gills? when you laud their "attacking" style you are only acting as willing accessories to the death of the sport.
 
May 23, 2011
977
0
0
Big Doopie said:
guy gets a refill last year at same spot. this year it literally coincides with his complete resurgence...and you believe it's all because he bonked his knee which happens to have suddenly gotten better exactly at the same time?
I am sure all that limping on the pedals, the loss of time, the gradual improvement in his pedaling was a ruse. It was all a cunning plan to explain his third week performance. If he was a little smarter then maybe he could have come up with a ploy that did not involve losing time, but Contador is not very bright. Bob Roll told me so.
 
Damiano Machiavelli said:
I am sure all that limping on the pedals, the loss of time, the gradual improvement in his pedaling was a ruse. It was all a cunning plan to explain his third week performance. If he was a little smarter then maybe he could have come up with a ploy that did not involve losing time, but Contador is not very bright. Bob Roll told me so.
holy crap! i have no words. you actually think contadope is not doping and did not get a refill bag on refill day!?

I mean, seriously?

this guy has been lying publicly for years.

oh, btw, armstrong is still looking for the right velodrome to attempt the hour record. after all that is the only reason he has been seeing ferrari for the last 15 years.

i mean, he told us that was the reason.

I am sorry.

end of conversation.
 
Dec 30, 2010
850
0
0
Damiano Machiavelli said:
I am sure all that limping on the pedals, the loss of time, the gradual improvement in his pedaling was a ruse. ...

Yes, because an injured knee will heal itself when cycling in one of the most grueling events in the calendar. :rolleyes:
 
red_flanders said:
Right, like it wasn't obvious that Contador's form was on the rise on day 2 in the Pyrenees. And they're only testing Andy 'cause he's publicly whining about it.

Seems this is all a pretty big stretch. They're all doing what they're all doing. They seem to be doing it less than they used to.

However, if it makes you feel better, yeah, the other guy you're not rooting for is the dirty doper and your guy is clean-ish.
Where it becomes complicated is if you are rooting for a guy because you think he didn't take a refill, and now reading this thread could really screw up your head.

edit: in the no refill category, how about Danny Pate. I don't know much about him other than he has a reputation for having a lot of talent and riding clean, and here he is fighting it out for lantern rouge.
 
May 26, 2009
4,114
0
0
Well Pate has done alot of work on every flat stage, doesn't he start work the moment HTC start to chase on flat stages and I'm sure he probably helps Cav in the mountains too.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY