• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Remco Evenepoel

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
  • Haha
Reactions: BlueRoads
What sort of bidon is worth a 20-second time penalty and the loss of the yellow jersey? Clearly there's more to this than meets the eye. There must have been a 6G modem in that bottle.

Occam's razor - internet forums love mentioning that - says that was almost certainly a canister of Covid-19 virus which Alaphilippe released into the peloton to get the whole thing cancelled and himself proclaimed winner. Follow the money sheeple.

Am I doing this conspiracy stuff right?

I was referring a website quite close to here (there may be others) which has written several headline pieces about it in the midst of the world's biggest race
Close to here? Are we flying Ryanair, landing at one website and getting a coach/train to the one we actually need to be at?

Here's CN's Evenepoel stories:

Six days ago (ie before the Tour), reporting the UCI's announcement: UCI orders CADF investigation after Remco Evenepoel's Il Lombardia crash video

Five days ago (ie before the Tour) and following up the UCI's announcement with Lefevere's response: Lefevere hits back at UCI amid Evenepoel video investigation

Five days ago (ie before the Tour) and following up the UCI's announcement with the team's response: Deceuninck-QuickStep insist object removed from Evenepoel's pocket was a 'finish bottle'

Four days ago (ie as the Tour commenced): Evenepoel on 'pocket investigation': I've been crying in my father's arms

Two days ago (ie during the Tour): No wonder-drugs in Remco Evenepoel's pocket, says Boonen

CN did two (a very tight definition of several) stories during the Tour and none before the UCI made it a story and the team and the team boss fanned the flames with responses. There doesn't appear to have been any clickbait headlines before it became a legitimate news story. The Clinic gave the story more oxygen than CN did.

So, who was you really referring to, as it's clearly not CN? The Comic?

You've clearly got this conspiracy thing down pat, by the way.

Maybe it is
Wi-Fi Modem 'doping'
as 'explained' in italiano in today's Corriere della Sera
(Google Translate may be your friend.)
e.g.

Tour de France: the forbidden modem (after the Evenepoel case) also stirs the Grande Boucle
Wi-fi signals detected in the group: they provide data on the athletes' power curve. A prohibited practice (which a good hacker can also use to attack opponents)

Last edited:
Maybe it is
Wi-Fi Modem 'doping'
as 'explained' in italiano in today's Corriere della Sera
(Google Translate may be your friend.)
This is what Vayer was insinuating from the start. This is the first Italian website that ran with it back then as well. Now they are acting as if it was all but proven that this is what Evenepoel used. The only lead that the UCI had, is the fact that Bramati spoke of "his data" which is easily explained by the data every rider is sending through Velon.

Now, they have noticed wifi signals in the Tour. I hope these guys know that you can turn any smartphone into a wifi hotspot to connect multiple other devices to the internet, which has been possible since Android 2.0 if i'm not mistaking.

However, it's certainly a much more plausible "modern way of cheating", than say a new powerdrug that works instantly but can't be detected an hour later, or a motor.

Mod hat on:

If you post a link/ article in a language that isn't English, please provide a translation of the pertinent parts.

Cheers,

KB.
Maybe time to update those rules? There are numerous online translation tools now. This was likely not the case when those rules were put in place. If people are too lazy to copy/paste, then they'd be too lazy to read the article anyway. It's nice that this is an English language forum so that we all understand each other, but the rest of the world doesn't comply to the cyclingnews forum rules.

Maybe time to update those rules? There are numerous online translation tools now. This was likely not the case when those rules were put in place. If people are too lazy to copy/paste, then they'd be too lazy to read the article anyway. It's nice that this is an English language forum so that we all understand each other, but the rest of the world doesn't comply to the cyclingnews forum rules.
Google translate has been around since 2010 and significantly improved when they started using neural nets in 2016. If the tools are so readily available then there's no reason the poster can't use them to provide a translation. The rule isn't in place just because people can't read it, it's because of problems there have been in the past with people posting links to non-English language articles claiming they say one thing when they actually say another. As you note, the rest of the world is available to discuss cycling in other languages, but currently Cycling News and its forums are English language based and we'd ask anyone posting non-English language articles provide a translation of the important parts.

Google translate has been around since 2010 and significantly improved when they started using neural nets in 2016. If the tools are so readily available then there's no reason the poster can't use them to provide a translation. The rule isn't in place just because people can't read it, it's because of problems there have been in the past with people posting links to non-English language articles claiming they say one thing when they actually say another. As you note, the rest of the world is available to discuss cycling in other languages, but currently Cycling News and its forums are English language based and we'd ask anyone posting non-English language articles provide a translation of the important parts.
It would be easier for the reader to paste the original article into his/her translator of choice. Certain translators work better with certain languages, and that way the reader can have it translated into whichever language (s)he prefers. As you might be aware, i think over 50% of active forum members are in fact non-native English speakers. In the past i have often provided a translation through google Translate (not always, but most of the time) but knowing that it is actually a forum offense to simply post a link in a different language, i think the rule is counterproductive, and maybe i'll simply stop posting links all together? Clearly the forum mods/admins prefer no link, to a link that can easily be ran through a translator.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedheadDane
i think the rule is counterproductive, and maybe i'll simply stop posting links all together?
The rule originally came into being, as KB said, because some people were saying an article said this when actually it said that. This was happening with both links to webpages and to GIFs of articles.

I would also argue that translations of the pertinent parts are needed to save people wasting time reading articles that the poster may think are interesting but actually say little or nothing and so are just a waste of time (this is true of English-language articles also but atleast you don't have the extra steps of having to translate them yourself to see they're a waste of time).

It would be easier for the reader to paste the original article into his/her translator of choice. Certain translators work better with certain languages, and that way the reader can have it translated into whichever language (s)he prefers. As you might be aware, i think over 50% of active forum members are in fact non-native English speakers. In the past i have often provided a translation through google Translate (not always, but most of the time) but knowing that it is actually a forum offense to simply post a link in a different language, i think the rule is counterproductive, and maybe i'll simply stop posting links all together? Clearly the forum mods/admins prefer no link, to a link that can easily be ran through a translator.
Context matters. For example, I have three different translations of the Count of Monte Cristo and one in the original French. They all tell the same basic story but can be quite different in places depending on who translated them. The same can be said for articles. This can, and has, cause serious issues, especially if one person translates it one way and another translates it differently. The mods can cover a good few of the languages lots of cycling media is published in, but not everything and not all of us, making it very difficult for us to moderate discussions without translations the posters agree with.

If certain translators work better for different languages, it would make sense that the person who actually understands the language being translated does it, to ensure they are happy the translation is accurate.

We'd prefer people follow the guidelines, especially as we don't go checking every post and every link.

Context matters. For example, I have three different translations of the Count of Monte Cristo and one in the original French. They all tell the same basic story but can be quite different in places depending on who translated them. The same can be said for articles. This can, and has, cause serious issues, especially if one person translates it one way and another translates it differently. The mods can cover a good few of the languages lots of cycling media is published in, but not everything and not all of us, making it very difficult for us to moderate discussions without translations the posters agree with.

If certain translators work better for different languages, it would make sense that the person who actually understands the language being translated does it, to ensure they are happy the translation is accurate.

We'd prefer people follow the guidelines, especially as we don't go checking every post and every link.

I agree that context matters, that's exactly why it could be better for people to use the translator they know works best for their language of choice. I posted a translated article yesterday from Hungarian. I don't speak Hungarian, so i can not vouch for whatever Google Translate is spitting back. But i think most makes enough sense considering the context. But there is no way for me to verify. So now what? Shouldn't i post this article, even though it has some interesting passages in it (presumably)? I think the fact that it is a translation, should serve as enough of a red flag, that not everything should be taken as fact. Hell, most of the English articles posted on the front page of the site are translations that don't always do the original statement justice. I also know Evenepoel doesn't speak Hungarian, so he will have made those comments in English, most likely, which already might lose some context at the source. It is then translated to Hungarian, and back to English.

In fact, i believe the scenario you are picturing, has a larger likelihood of having people make claims based on bad translations, than when they actually have to run it through a translator themselves. They will be more aware of the fact that it might not be 100% what the person is saying. It is for that reason why i have stopped to correct the "funny talk" that Google makes from direct translations of sayings, because usually the reader will be made aware that he's reading a funky translation.

Sorry, got caught up. This is getting circular but to answer specific points:

If you do not speak the language being translated, you have no idea which translator is more accurate. One may provide a more intelligible translation as it handles the grammar of the target language better, but you have no way to know how well the source has actually been translated, because you can't read it. But really that's irrelevant. Asking users to post an English translation doesn't stop other users from translating it into another language. What it does do is make it easier for conversations to continue, stop other users from having to dig through articles to determine if it says what the poster has implied it does and, in cases where there is an issue, gives the mods something we can compared to the original article and see if the user is being dishonest in their translation.

As for posting articles translated from a language you don't speak, personally I wouldn't ever post something that I couldn't be sure what it says. However, if you want to then you just have to follow the same request and post an English translation of the pertinent parts.

Users are responsible for what they post. The point of asking people to post a translation is to show that they think the source contains the information they need to back up their claim.

Adam Hansen (AUS) (Lotto Soudal) doesn't believe the 3g/4g modem scenario, and seems to think trash is the most likely answer to the question what Bramati was taking out of Evenepoel's pocket (which would align with Remco putting something in his back pocket moments before). He (Adam Hansen) wasn't asked for a comment, he simply responded out of his own free will to a youtube video of the incident. He doesn't take the "data hacking" scenario into accout, but looks rather confident the data that Bramati was talking about was the Velon info.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1i9yfbcU4A

"Regarding your comment on putting gels into a different container. I do this every race and have videos of this on my channel. So I don't throw the rubbish anywhere. "

"we all had Velon devices on our bikes. So anyone can see all our data, speed, cadence, power, position in the race. Im sure Bramati, like our Sport Director has the Velon app also in the car. When you crash, your speed goes from like 60km/h to zero in a second. I think he means that. Also position of rider just stops. GPS location just stop directly. When you look at a training file of a crash, all numbers go from normal to zero. There is no middle ground :/ "

There is also a different video on youtube, where you can see maybe one second extra before Bramati takes the item out of Remco's pocket. It's just enough to see that Davide's hand is initially resting on Remco's shoulder (like a comforting gesture), and as his hand goes to Remco's pocket, looking through the branches, you can see the medic nod as if they are communicating. Which would support the theory of Davide going into Remco's pocket either on demand of the medic, or with the medic's consent. In another video you can also see that it is Bramati that climbs up to get the stretcher.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4YunJADmsM&t=70s

Last edited:
The criticism made against those who see conspiracy here is that they're making a lot of assumptions. Yet here you are, making a lot of assumptions.
I'm not making assumptions though. I'm only saying what you can see. The medic is nodding, Bramati's hand is on Remco's shoulder. I'm not making any claims. But so far the entire thing people have been going on, is how "suspicious" it looked. As if Bramati rushed down and picked his pocket before anyone else could.

I'm only saying what you can see.
Actually you're very much not. You're interpreting what you see. A "comforting" hand, a nod.
people have been going on, is how "suspicious" it looked. As if Bramati rushed down and picked his pocket before anyone else could.
Really? You want to pretend that people have been saying Bramati rushed down and emptied his pockets? Come off it, please.

TRENDING THREADS