• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Remco Evenepoel

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Looks like Remco has big plans for next season.

"I returned to the level of the best, to an excellent level, but not yet what we wanted and hoped for with the team," Evenepoel said in an interview with La Derniere Heure on Sunday. [...]

"But I still have some steps to take before I can challenge Pogačar, Bernal, and Roglič, and above all be able to beat them. I hope it will be the case as of next season."

Gotta say though that he didn't look overly suspect at any point during the 2021 season. I suppose it's possible that he's by far the most talented rider of them all and the only big star who is not currently doped to the eyeballs.

Interesting, though, that his team had hoped for (even) more, if that translated quote is to be believed. Being that he came back from an almost career-ending horror crash and was basically rushed into the Giro, (where he was clearly racing for GC from the start).

Regardless if he's clean, "clean," or on a full program, do you think the team will stick to the same (no) doping approach going into 2022? Are they under pressure to put the foot on the gas and turn Evenepoel into a World Tour dominator?

Wouldn't suprise me if they didn't change a thing. Just to see how he performs in his next stage race (UAE Tour, I guess), this time with a proper base ...and then adjust accordingly (or not).

Reactions: Ripper

"I returned to the level of the best, to an excellent level, but not yet what we wanted and hoped for with the team," Evenepoel said in an interview with La Derniere Heure on Sunday. [...]

"But I still have some steps to take before I can challenge Pogačar, Bernal, and Roglič, and above all be able to beat them. I hope it will be the case as of next season."

Gotta say though that he didn't look overly suspect at any point during the 2021 season. I suppose it's possible that he's by far the most talented rider of them all and the only big star who is not currently doped to the eyeballs.

Interesting, though, that his team had hoped for (even) more, if that translated quote is to be believed. Being that he came back from an almost career-ending horror crash and was basically rushed into the Giro, (where he was clearly racing for GC from the start).

Regardless if he's clean, "clean," or on a full program, do you think the team will stick to the same (no) doping approach going into 2022? Are they under pressure to put the foot on the gas and turn Evenepoel into a World Tour dominator?

Wouldn't suprise me if they didn't change a thing. Just to see how he performs in his next stage race (UAE Tour, I guess), this time with a proper base ...and then adjust accordingly (or not).
He rides for QuickStep.

Case closed.

+100

If he suddenly develops a talent for thermonuclear sprinting that might be a tell-tale sign

Pogi did question Wout goals on stage 16.

Wout in the bus after Politt have won:
Wout: - Pogacar kept getting me back myself. I thought; Can't you let me break away?
DS: - Did you ask Pogi?
Wout: - I spoke to him later. I told Carapaz it was good for my morale that I wasn't allowed to breakaway.
(referring to previous conversation)
Pogi: "Yeah but with you, you know"
DS: - Pogi said this?
Wout: yeah yeah.
Pogi: "we're also confused what your goals are".
Pogacar said this?
Wout: - Yeah.
Wout to Pogi: "I just want the stage win, what did you think?"

I wonder what Pogi did think. And why he would care.

Pogi did question Wout goals on stage 16.

Wout in the bus after Politt have won:
Wout: - Pogacar kept getting me back myself. I thought; Can't you let me break away?
DS: - Did you ask Pogi?
Wout: - I spoke to him later. I told Carapaz it was good for my morale that I wasn't allowed to breakaway.
(referring to previous conversation)
Pogi: "Yeah but with you, you know"
DS: - Pogi said this?
Wout: yeah yeah.
Pogi: "we're also confused what your goals are".
Pogacar said this?
Wout: - Yeah.
Wout to Pogi: "I just want the stage win, what did you think?"

I wonder what Pogi did think. And why he would care.
I think Pogacar was just flexing tbh.

Reactions: noob

I really don't see a case for anyone at the sharp end being clean for their main targets.

on top of that this was with the knowledge he needed to ride for another 40km alone.... and those numbers are on the same level als Pog/Roglic/Vingegaard...

But did it really look like he was pushing that? he barely left the saddle. felt like he just drove a hard tempo.

on top of that this was with the knowledge he needed to ride for another 40km alone.... and those numbers are on the same level als Pog/Roglic/Vingegaard...

But did it really look like he was pushing that? he barely left the saddle. felt like he just drove a hard tempo.
He did 7,25 w/kg lol.

Anyway. Been watching this sport for over 25 years and never saw anyone win CSS with that difference. Like most of the time it was a seconds battle or a sprint. This guy destroys the field

TRENDING THREADS